Page 2 of 210 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    I started a thread about this without thinking about this thread...

Anyone know of a good reversible leather belt? Do they exist? Is it just silly to have a reversible belt? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    @zcm, What advantage does a reversible belt give? Why not own two belts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I think the point of a reversible belt is to save money by not having to purchase two belts.

I think the best advantage they offer is for traveling.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    @zcm, What advantage does a reversible belt give? Why not own two belts?
    Absolutely valid question. I guess it is a combination of laziness, simplicity, and genuine interest in trying to find one that doesn't suck... also I thought I may be able to save a buck or two.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    this seems like a no brainer but...because then you have to pay for two belts?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    Absolutely valid question. I guess it is a combination of laziness, simplicity, and genuine interest in trying to find one that doesn't suck... also I thought I may be able to save a buck or two.
    I've never seen one of decent or high quality. Usually they are the cheap ones you find at department stores. I currently have a reversible belt and I am trying to go the opposite way and buy a nice brown and a nice black one.

I guess that sparks a question for me then. Any brand or store that you guys recommend for getting decent leather belts? I'm looking in the 50-100 range but I'd prefer to stay under 75.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
    I think the point of a reversible belt is to save money by not having to purchase two belts.

I think the best advantage they offer is for traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    Jack, I didn't think of the advantage of only needing to pack one belt when you travel. That makes sense to me. Thank you.

zcm, I used to purchase inexpensive belts from J.Crew and Banana Republic, but I moved to MTM belts this year. They are comparatively expensive at roughly twice the cost of a J.Crew belt, but I've been sold on spending a bit more for a belt that will last 10+ years. Both the Equus and Worcestershire belts that I have look new and I wear each of them multiple times a week.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Reversible belts may serve some purpose (not sure the traveling thing is that big a deal - you can wear one belt and pack another, so that doesn't seem like such a waste of space). But you will have a hard time finding one of any quality. Reversible belts are, by necessity, bonded leather rather than full grain, so they will look and feel cheaper and wear out faster than a regular belt of decent quality.

In terms of leather belts, I'd recommend investing in one nice leather belt (in the color you wear most often in shoes), buying a "good enough" belt in the "other" color (black or brown), and then buying a couple of casual, non-leather belts. The occasions in which owning a reversible belt will really save you any time or space will probably be few and far between.

Costco used to (and still might?) sell full-grain leather belts - one dressy black calf, one more casual brown - for $20. That would be a pretty easy way to cover your bases without having to fork over tons of money.
    Ben

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I have been looking at the AE shoebanks list of belts... anyone ever order a belt from them?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

In terms of leather belts, I'd recommend investing in one nice leather belt (in the color you wear most often in shoes), buying a "good enough" belt in the "other" color (black or brown), and then buying a couple of casual, non-leather belts. The occasions in which owning a reversible belt will really save you any time or space will probably be few and far between.

Costco used to (and still might?) sell full-grain leather belts - one dressy black calf, one more casual brown - for $20. That would be a pretty easy way to cover your bases without having to fork over tons of money.
    This is pretty much the logic I use. Good tip on the costco too. Too bad they don't have a dress brown, as that is my go-to belt.