Page 23 of 222 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    I wear my solid color linen and OCBD shirts untucked with shorts and occasionally with chinos in super casual situations like a poolside BBQ or an evening walk in the park. It is physically cooler for me and I feel odd tucking in a shirt with shorts. My most comfortable combination for the humid summers in GA is one of those with my merona oxford shorts and some canvas shoes...and I still look more put together than 90% of the guys running around in cargos and wrinkled polos with garishly colored nikes. As for how it looks in 10 years...I think that this approach could be considered more "trad" than following a rule that doesn't work for me. Wasn't trad all about being functional with less regard for the "rules". I read somewhere that trad is not fashion its clothes. Regardless, I do it because it works for me and I think it looks decent.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johdus View Post
    Your answer:

Boom goes the dynamite. That is what I wear often, but a little less puffy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Your answer: This looks so much better. I guess even JFK made mistakes now and then. We'll forgive him that momentary lapse with the untuck.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    At core, the OCBD is still a dress shirt. It should be treated as such.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    I know that is the trend, @hornsup84, to wear slim-fitting, short OCBDs like that. It's not a trend I find particularly attractive.
    To each his own. You asked for opinions.

Your answer: This looks so much better. I guess even JFK made mistakes now and then. We'll forgive him that momentary lapse with the untuck.

I think his shorts are epicly long and don't look good at all. I could comment on his nasty collar as well, if you want to nitpick. I don't understand the obsession with mimicking 50+ year old fashion trends, particularly those worn by specific persons--JFK, McQueen, James Bond, etc. Yes, those guys looked badass, and yes, they were wearing trendy stuff then. We should all have an eye toward picking what looks good from past trends, and emulating (by that I mean partially mimic, if you so desire, but also improve) to make it better and/or more your own.

At core, the OCBD is still a dress shirt. It should be treated as such.
    I fully disagree -- context dictates this. Oxford cloth is a casual material/weave, we aren't talking about a royal twill or something here. Worn with a suit to work, dress shirt (although personally I'd never wear it like this); worn with shorts on the beach, not a dress shirt.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Holy crap, @mjn082. My popover just arrived. I don't know what was wrong with either me or the shirt in the store Saturday, but slipping it on out of the package left at the front door today is an entirely other experience. I hated it in the store, but I freaking love this now. I was wrong about the sleeves. It's true, they're not a traditional length for this kind of shirt--I would say a good couple of inches shorter in sleeve length than you're likely to see in the versions men were wearing in the early to mid-60s. But for whatever reason, the length does not seem all that bad this time around. Sleeves come down to about mid-bicep, maybe just a tad longer than a trim-fitting polo, say.

I got a large, did not size down, and it is perfect all around. Not too tight, not baggy at all, no undue billowing at the waist or in the back, just enough to look slightly relaxed. In fact, even in a size large (I often wear medium), this shirt is just a little bit snug in the back/yoke part of the shirt. Buttons nicely at the neck, not that I would, but this is an indication for me of how comfortable a shirt will be.

The seersucker material is nice, if slightly scratchy, but I imagine it will soften up with a few launderings. J. Crew always has to mess a little with the traditional things, and so they've made the seersucker striping a little thinner than you might see from traditional shirtmakers, but that's hardly a dealbreaker for me.

I'm loving the feel of this shirt on an 80-degree summer day!

Quote Originally Posted by mjn082 View Post
    @Duvel if you pick your's up this weekend post an update on the sleeves if you have a chance. I'll take a chance (acutally already clicked checkout on the indigo one) on it but won't get mine for about two weeks. Thanks....

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Okay. Does everyone remember we are talking about a shirt here? If you find yourself getting really worked up or angry or offended about this issue, you might want to reconsider your priorities. This ain't the Syrian Civil War we're talking about.

In any case, the button-down oxford shirt has its origins as a sports shirt. (Invented by Brooks Brothers in America and based on button-down collars worn by polo players in England.) The whole purpose of the button-down collar was to prevent the collar from flapping up and whacking the wearer in the face while riding. It is a casual shirt that can, for a number of reasons, sometimes successfully masquerade as a dress shirt in the present day.

IMO the circumstances entirely dictate whether it is appropriate to wear an OCBD untucked. If you're wearing it casually, with jeans or chinos or shorts, and the shirt isn't too long or too baggy, I think it's entirely fine to wear it untucked. If the situation is more "business casual" or the shirt is too long, or either overly tight or overly baggy, then it's probably better tucked. There are a lot of overlapping situations where you could probably look fine and appropriate either way.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Here it is: J. Crew red seersucker short-sleeve popover

Honest to God, I think I need a J. Crew spenders anonymous group. I have spent way too much on shirts there recently. I'm never going to afford that damned Beaufort, or much of anything else, if I keep up this habit. The long-sleeved seersucker shirt I received today is nice, too, much, much better than the Lands' End from earlier this summer.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Here it is: J. Crew red seersucker short-sleeve popover

Honest to God, I think I need a J. Crew spenders anonymous group. I have spent way too much on shirts there recently. I'm never going to afford that damned Beaufort, or much of anything else, if I keep up this habit. The long-sleeved seersucker shirt I received today is nice, too, much, much better than the Lands' End from earlier this summer.
    Is J.Crew a publicly-traded company? You should buy some shares and reap what you sow.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    @LosRockets, by the way, ignore the fit on the model shown online. Not an accurate depiction of how the sleeves should fit, imo. As usual, J. Crew does some kind of magic photo work, because the rest of shirt on the guy looks pretty good. The sleeves on mine just don't look like that, not that short and skinny.