Page 220 of 222 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

(I'm over-thinking this, but that's what Dappered is for, right?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Going to be raging at a tailgate this weekend. I plan on wearing slimfit jeans, but not sure which shoes to wear. Whatever I wear will ultimately take a beating. I want to be comfortable, look good, and have shoes that can be cleaned up. Any suggestions? I have a lot of styles of shoes, and money is not a huge issue on what to buy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

Do you already have specific ties in mind? I think that you could get away with a dark solid tie. Especially, if that's what you already have. Of course, even solid black tie covers a variety of ties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Really it comes down to how close to black tie you want to be. Obviously I don't know the crowd so could be wrong about this but, it's a virtual certainty that the men's attire at the wedding will range from business casual to a couple of guys in a tux. Unless this is a particularly posh crowd, you're unlikely to not fit in. Most likely, if you're wearing a charcoal suit, you'll be in the top 10-20% best dressed men there, regardless of the tie you select.

Having said that... I go to a BTO event every year and am pretty close to the guys who put it on. We're at the same table, etc... but I don't own a tux. So, out of respect for them, I wear my dark suit with a vest, white shirt, black tie, and white pocket square. It fits quite well with the rest of the gang.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ame=light-grey

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncf05 View Post
    what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

Hard to tell from the pics then video. It looks casual enough and is cotton but for some reason it looks more suit jacket than sport coat.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Hard to tell from the pics then video. It looks casual enough and is cotton but for some reason it looks more suit jacket than sport coat.
    ya, j crew has gone thru this tough trend where i feel like they are making alot of in between stuff. like suit jackets that they make casual enough to also be a blazer. and less straight blazers/sportcoats

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Really it comes down to how close to black tie you want to be. Obviously I don't know the crowd so could be wrong about this but, it's a virtual certainty that the men's attire at the wedding will range from business casual to a couple of guys in a tux. Unless this is a particularly posh crowd, you're unlikely to not fit in. Most likely, if you're wearing a charcoal suit, you'll be in the top 10-20% best dressed men there, regardless of the tie you select.
    Yeah, this seems accurate - I'm not worried about being underdressed just because I'm wearing a non-black tie. More just wondering what people think would look good. But as you point out, at the end of the day (night) it doesn't matter that much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncf05 View Post

I own this (in cotton/linen rather than cotton/spandex) and frequently wear it as a sports coat in the summer. The fabric prevents it from looking too much like a mismatched suit jacket.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1454 Post(s)

I'd say this works. I don't know if I'd deviate much or worry about being plain. Chances are you'll be better dressed than most of the men there anyway.