Page 220 of 222 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

  1. #2191
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

    (I'm over-thinking this, but that's what Dappered is for, right?)

  2. #2192
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Going to be raging at a tailgate this weekend. I plan on wearing slimfit jeans, but not sure which shoes to wear. Whatever I wear will ultimately take a beating. I want to be comfortable, look good, and have shoes that can be cleaned up. Any suggestions? I have a lot of styles of shoes, and money is not a huge issue on what to buy.

  3. #2193
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

    (I'm over-thinking this, but that's what Dappered is for, right?)
    Do you already have specific ties in mind? I think that you could get away with a dark solid tie. Especially, if that's what you already have. Of course, even solid black tie covers a variety of ties.

  4. #2194
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

    (I'm over-thinking this, but that's what Dappered is for, right?)
    Really it comes down to how close to black tie you want to be. Obviously I don't know the crowd so could be wrong about this but, it's a virtual certainty that the men's attire at the wedding will range from business casual to a couple of guys in a tux. Unless this is a particularly posh crowd, you're unlikely to not fit in. Most likely, if you're wearing a charcoal suit, you'll be in the top 10-20% best dressed men there, regardless of the tie you select.

    Having said that... I go to a BTO event every year and am pretty close to the guys who put it on. We're at the same table, etc... but I don't own a tux. So, out of respect for them, I wear my dark suit with a vest, white shirt, black tie, and white pocket square. It fits quite well with the rest of the gang.

  5. #2195
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ame=light-grey

  6. #2196
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,807
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncf05 View Post
    what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ame=light-grey
    Hard to tell from the pics then video. It looks casual enough and is cotton but for some reason it looks more suit jacket than sport coat.

  7. #2197
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Hard to tell from the pics then video. It looks casual enough and is cotton but for some reason it looks more suit jacket than sport coat.
    ya, j crew has gone thru this tough trend where i feel like they are making alot of in between stuff. like suit jackets that they make casual enough to also be a blazer. and less straight blazers/sportcoats

  8. #2198
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Really it comes down to how close to black tie you want to be. Obviously I don't know the crowd so could be wrong about this but, it's a virtual certainty that the men's attire at the wedding will range from business casual to a couple of guys in a tux. Unless this is a particularly posh crowd, you're unlikely to not fit in. Most likely, if you're wearing a charcoal suit, you'll be in the top 10-20% best dressed men there, regardless of the tie you select.
    Yeah, this seems accurate - I'm not worried about being underdressed just because I'm wearing a non-black tie. More just wondering what people think would look good. But as you point out, at the end of the day (night) it doesn't matter that much.

  9. #2199
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncf05 View Post
    what do you guys think about this suit jacket as a sport coat separate? They have it in pics as a seperate and i think they used to sell it as sport coat

    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...ame=light-grey
    I own this (in cotton/linen rather than cotton/spandex) and frequently wear it as a sports coat in the summer. The fabric prevents it from looking too much like a mismatched suit jacket.

  10. #2200
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,828
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1454 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I'm going to a black tie optional wedding next month, and don't own a tux. Charcoal suit seems like the best option, but should I go with white shirt + plain black tie + white square (to look as similar as possible to actual black tie), or something a little less boring (e.g. navy tie, square with a bit of color)?

    (I'm over-thinking this, but that's what Dappered is for, right?)
    I'd say this works. I don't know if I'd deviate much or worry about being plain. Chances are you'll be better dressed than most of the men there anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •