Page 200 of 222 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I'll second oxblood, I just think it looks better.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    So, I've been searching for a brief case for the last two ish weeks.

What do you think about this one?
    https://imgur.com/a/Ich0xrV

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncf05 View Post
    So, I've been searching for a brief case for the last two ish weeks.

What do you think about this one?
    https://imgur.com/a/Ich0xrV
    Somebody was recently trying to sell their Banana Republic leather briefcase for ridiculously cheap recently. Last I saw it hadn't sold yet, might wanna check out the for sale thread of you're interested

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Going to a wedding in Northern California next weekend. Outdoors, ceremony's at 4pm. Invite/website don't mention dress code at all.

Can I wear a more casual suit like this or this - or should I stick with navy/charcoal in wool?

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Going to a wedding in Northern California next weekend. Outdoors, ceremony's at 4pm. Invite/website don't mention dress code at all.

Can I wear a more casual suit like this or this - or should I stick with navy/charcoal in wool?
    I would ask whoever invited you. If you feel uncomfortable doing that or get no response, do a web search for the venue. That may give you a sense of what is normally worn in that setting. If the wedding is not being held at a true “venue,” but just at a park or a campground or in someone’s backyard, then I’d say you would be quite safe to opt for something more casual.

If all else fails, take a look at the invitation itself. Most people buy invitations that will match the general theme and colors of their wedding. If the invitation looks more formal or informal you can probably expect the same from the wedding.

Safest bet for an afternoon outdoor wedding would be to opt for a more relaxed material (linen, cotton, seersucker, whatever) but stick to a conservative palette so you’re not drawing too much attention to yourself (dark blue or grey for the suit itself, white or pale blue for the shirt with either a dark tie or a silver wedding tie if you’ve got one). Save the bright colored suits and walnut shoes and madras shirts and whatever other loud stuff people wear for “fun” for your own wedding where it’s your day to be the center of attention - or for a wedding or other event where you know for a fact that dressing a little loud is going to be acceptable.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    You can also find out what the wedding party is wearing and use that as an idea. Suits for the groom and groomsmen (or bridesmen, whatever, I'm woke!) would be a more casual thing than if they were wearing tuxes or morning dress. Khakis and dress shirts even less. My general rule of thumb is one step below the wedding party in terms of formality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Yeah, I have a (perhaps irrational) reluctance to hit the bride/groom up with these types of questions as I generally imagine they're dealing with a million more important things. They ended up sending out an email yesterday saying that the attire was "garden party formal" at which point I kind of gave up and just texted the groom asking WTF that meant.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    "garden party formal" at which point I kind of gave up and just texted the groom asking WTF that meant.
    In my experience, the expectation is to wear a tan cotton/linen suit or some kind of black watch tartan sports jacket.

The reality is nobody knows what this means and show up in linen slacks and sandals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hello folks.

Quick question I should already know the answer to- Most suitable shoe to wear with dark jeans and polo/button down in a casual work environment?

I have some Wolverine suede chukkas and some brown leather chelsea boots which both get worn a lot but I'd like something else.....I was wearing oxblood monk straps with brogueing (the BR Waller I think?) which worked well I thought but they've worn out.

What do you wear with dark jeans and a polo/button down?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eamonn View Post
    Hello folks.

Quick question I should already know the answer to- Most suitable shoe to wear with dark jeans and polo/button down in a casual work environment?

I have some Wolverine suede chukkas and some brown leather chelsea boots which both get worn a lot but I'd like something else.....I was wearing oxblood monk straps with brogueing (the BR Waller I think?) which worked well I thought but they've worn out.

What do you wear with dark jeans and a polo/button down?

Thanks!
    You could wear some of these:

https://dappered.com/2018/09/longwin...stment-worthy/

I wear my two pairs of AE wingtip derby shoes with jeans, one in walnut and the other oxblood.

I also wear a pair of Herring Premier monk strap shoes in a very light tan with jeans. Plus some boots, but it seems like you have boots covered.