Page 197 of 222 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    I've been getting into leather working recently, and I've decided a longer term project will be to make a watch strap to match my Bourbon Strands. Would I be able to achieve that color by using Bourbon shoe polish on an undyed piece of leather?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I've been getting into leather working recently, and I've decided a longer term project will be to make a watch strap to match my Bourbon Strands. Would I be able to achieve that color by using Bourbon shoe polish on an undyed piece of leather?
    My understanding and experience is that shoe cream does a better job of transferring color to shoes because shoe polish has a higher wax content and the wax doesn't soak into the leather like the cream.

But I don't know about working with raw leather. Why not give it a try? Less that $10 for some shoe cream or polish.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Yes. Shoemakers who work with crust leather basically get the patina through a combination of creams and waxes. My guess is that you'll need a wider variety of colors than just bourbon shoe cream in order to get an end result that has depth of color.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Yes. Shoemakers who work with crust leather basically get the patina through a combination of creams and waxes. My guess is that you'll need a wider variety of colors than just bourbon shoe cream in order to get an end result that has depth of color.
    @Rocco : I was reading Justin Fitzpatricks's shoe blog just now and stumbled on to his tips on DIY dying of shoes. I think you might find it helpful for your watch band:

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2017/...own-shoes.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I inherited two Trachten Janker coats similar to https://www.lodenfrey.com/en/Sandber...nker-LF-8.html. Any advice on how to wear them so I dont look like I'm going to Oktoberfest?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I just got a new sea blue/slate blue suit (not navy or a bright royal blue). The color is similar to the link below but mine is a two piece. I'm having a hard time figuring out what color tie to wear with it. I have an social event coming up and I'm planning to wear it with a plain white shirt and need to figure out a tie. I was considering Navy with white micro dot or maybe a solid grenadine if I can figure out a good color. Any ideas?

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...refv1=Hartford

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcer10 View Post
    I just got a new sea blue/slate blue suit (not navy or a bright royal blue). The color is similar to the link below but mine is a two piece. I'm having a hard time figuring out what color tie to wear with it. I have an social event coming up and I'm planning to wear it with a plain white shirt and need to figure out a tie. I was considering Navy with white micro dot or maybe a solid grenadine if I can figure out a good color. Any ideas?

Wow! Nice suit! With a plain white shirt you could wear almost any color tie with that suit, as well as almost any pattern.

What type of social event? Do you want to stand out or blend it? What color are your shoes/belt?

If you want to peacock a little, I would go with something other than another blue for a tie. A coral/salmon color would really pop with that suit--if you found one with a coral/salmon or even a pink background, but had a pattern that included the suit color, that would look very sharp; lavender/purple as well.

But you really couldn't go wrong with almost any color/pattern because you're wearing two solid colors that compliment almost all other colors. Me personally, I would avoid dark browns, but that's just because I'm not a huge fan of dark brown and light blue together.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)

The complementary color is orange (or yellow). I would mix in a little blue to tie it all together, like this, but many colors would work.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakebob View Post
    I inherited two Trachten Janker coats similar to https://www.lodenfrey.com/en/Sandber...nker-LF-8.html. Any advice on how to wear them so I dont look like I'm going to Oktoberfest?
    We have a couple of these from my wife's grandfather. We do not wear them outside of, as you stated, our annual Oktoberfest party since they are more in remembrance of him. If I were going to wear something more frequently, I feel like you could wear it unbuttoned like a casual jacket. Seems like it would work well. My wife's grandfather always wore them buttoned all the way up which I feel like is the only other way to wear it, totally unbuttoned or all the way up. In between could look odd though some people pull off one button of the French chore coats buttoned.

As others have stated, almost anything would work. The only thing I would advise against would be a satin tie of any color. Satin is a formal fabric for ties. I really like this light green tie I have that would work well with this. Dark brown could work but since it is a social event, have some fun and add some color!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Yes or no with a charcoal suit? (And probably with a white shirt and black shoes.)

https://www.beckettrobb.com/collecti...ulard-silk-tie