Page 194 of 222 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    +1. @B.edwards - S&M has some great white shirts. My favorite is your standard twill though their poplin is light weight but has had some issues with shrinkage that they are getting worked out. They also offer different cuffs depending on the shirt and semi or full spread options. Just a note, their easy iron is not a non-iron fabric. I have not looked into those but people seem happy with them.
    I checked out S&M. They look like great shirts.
    Would you guys recommend custom from them for $79 or try to get the batch discount with OTR? I am a little bit of a weird fit at 14.5 neck, 33.5 arms and very straight across shoulders.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.edwards View Post
    I checked out S&M. They look like great shirts.
    Would you guys recommend custom from them for $79 or try to get the batch discount with OTR? I am a little bit of a weird fit at 14.5 neck, 33.5 arms and very straight across shoulders.
    The batch discount is for 3 shirts. I would try OTR before MTM because you will have a S&M shirt to compare from if you go MTM. 0.5" is not much in terms of sleeve difference in the below shirt being 34".

This shirt would be a good choice unless you need slimmer (Extra slim fit) or a little extra (contemporary). https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Royal Twill may have a slight sheen to it so more conservative. https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Their oxford is thicker so I would honestly go up 0.5" in the neck which adds a little extra room everywhere. Not like a ton of extra but "just enough" to make a difference: https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The batch discount is for 3 shirts. I would try OTR before MTM because you will have a S&M shirt to compare from if you go MTM. 0.5" is not much in terms of sleeve difference in the below shirt being 34".

This shirt would be a good choice unless you need slimmer (Extra slim fit) or a little extra (contemporary). https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Royal Twill may have a slight sheen to it so more conservative. https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html

Their oxford is thicker so I would honestly go up 0.5" in the neck which adds a little extra room everywhere. Not like a ton of extra but "just enough" to make a difference: https://www.spierandmackay.com/white...-slim-fit.html
    Something as thick as an oxford would not work for me as I get hot enough as it is in LA. Does the royal twill fall somewhere between an oxford and a general poplin
    in thickness? I thought I read somewhere on the website that is was 2-ply.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.edwards View Post
    Something as thick as an oxford would not work for me as I get hot enough as it is in LA. Does the royal twill fall somewhere between an oxford and a general poplin
    in thickness? I thought I read somewhere on the website that is was 2-ply.
    The poplin is a very thin shirt. Some people complain that it might be too thin but helps for cooling. The twill is thicker but not an oxford cloth thickness. It is your basic dress shirt thickness while the poplin is thinner and oxford cloth is thicker. If that makes any sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The poplin is a very thin shirt. Some people complain that it might be too thin but helps for cooling. The twill is thicker but not an oxford cloth thickness. It is your basic dress shirt thickness while the poplin is thinner and oxford cloth is thicker. If that makes any sense.
    It makes perfect sense. I am going to go ahead and order up 3 shirts. They seem like exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    I am 5'6" and thin/athletic. Can I wear this shirt or will it wear me?

https://propercloth.com/dress-shirts...mart-size-id=2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hello! I recently purchased a navy tuxedo for a black tie event, and am trying to decide what shoes to wear. It's a pretty formal event, but I've never been a big fan of patent leather. Would black suede or velvet work with a navy tux, and, if so, does anyone have specific recommendations? Thanks!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wbp2105 View Post
    Hello! I recently purchased a navy tuxedo for a black tie event, and am trying to decide what shoes to wear. It's a pretty formal event, but I've never been a big fan of patent leather. Would black suede or velvet work with a navy tux, and, if so, does anyone have specific recommendations? Thanks!
    If you don't want to do patent leather, and you have black oxfords in good shape, and you can get them nice and shiny, you can wear those (see photo of mine, below).

According to the "rules", velvet tux/smoking "slippers" are generally acceptable if you're in a home but not at a hotel or someone else's club, etc. But if you feel comfortable breaking this archaic rule, go for it.

I've also read that bit loafers can be worn with a tux, but I just don't see that. Think more dressy, not drivers with bits.

Have fun!

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wbp2105 View Post
    Yes they would, as much as a navy tux is appropriate for the same. Recos are highly dependent on how much you want to spend. Tux loafers get pricey fast if you want quality/name brand. E.g., Stubbs & Wooton, Duke & Dexter.

Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    If you don't want to do patent leather, and you have black oxfords in good shape, and you can get them nice and shiny, you can wear those (see photo of mine, below).

According to the "rules", velvet tux/smoking "slippers" are generally acceptable if you're in a home but not at a hotel or someone else's club, etc. But if you feel comfortable breaking this archaic rule, go for it.

I've also read that bit loafers can be worn with a tux, but I just don't see that. Think more dressy, not drivers with bits.

Have fun!
    If you're offering up shined up calf as an alternative, I think it's safe to say tux loafers/slippers will work just fine.

Bit loafers with a tux is weird, never heard that before. IMO they barely work with a suit and tie (and I own/wear bit loafers, just know they are in fact a more casual shoe regardless of how people treat them).

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Yes they would, as much as a navy tux is appropriate for the same. Recos are highly dependent on how much you want to spend. Tux loafers get pricey fast if you want quality/name brand. E.g., Stubbs & Wooton, Duke & Dexter.

If you're offering up shined up calf as an alternative, I think it's safe to say tux loafers/slippers will work just fine.

Bit loafers with a tux is weird, never heard that before. IMO they barely work with a suit and tie (and I own/wear bit loafers, just know they are in fact a more casual shoe regardless of how people treat them).
    On the bit loafers, yes, my thoughts are the same as yours, but in a number of places I have read that they are sometimes appropriate, for just one example:

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com...wear-a-tuxedo/ (see #17).

I did some research on this and it dates back to bit loafers introduced by Gucci as being "the" shoe of high-powered NY lawyers and wall street types in the '70's.

Also, you can get velvet loafers on the cheap if you look around. You will NOT get quality, but most people won't notice. You can get them in two days from Amazon. I recently picked some up from DSW for about $50--but they are for a costume, and I put big purple tassels on them--so, not recommending them, just saying you can them cheap if you like.

As for me, I have patent leather tux loafers, with a ribbon across the vamp--they are pretty common at the black tie events I go to in LA, but even more people wear black oxfords, believe it or not (maybe thrice a year).

Also, one more option is a black whole cut, highly polished. I think they can look very formal.