Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Yeah, that was my gut reaction as well. I can't seem to find a pair of black shoes that feel like they're at the appropriate level of formality (this is admittedly subjective and possibly irrational); might end up just getting another brown pair instead.
    I have a black pair that looks like this which I think works nicely with odd trousers.

https://www.meermin.es/in_en/1016101...f-e-negro.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Yeah, that was my gut reaction as well. I can't seem to find a pair of black shoes that feel like they're at the appropriate level of formality (this is admittedly subjective and possibly irrational); might end up just getting another brown pair instead.
    The NST that @Spex linked to are a good choice. You could also get a pair of black wingtips or monkstraps.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    I recently bought a pair of brown AE Higgins Mill and am wondering how to take care of ChromeXL boots. The AE website has a page on how to care for their shoes, but it does not talk about ChromeXL. There are videos on Youtube, but none specifically about Higgins Mill and in any case I wanted to check with the experienced folks on this forum.
    Just brush them. Scratches, scuffs, and knicks pretty much disappear if you wipe them with a damp cloth and then brush the whole boot.

If you really feel the need to apply something then Saphir Renovateur or their greasy leather cream works. https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir...her-cream.html

Here's a long article on CXL and Nick Horween responds to questions about the leather at the bottom. https://www.horween.com/blog/2010/03...mexcel%C2%AE-2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Hello everyone,

My father in law just gave me his older Samuelsohn tweed sport coat. At two inches above my navel (slightly above my natural waist) and a couple of millimeters below my collarbone, the button stance and gorge respectively are a little lower than I'm used to. Are these proportions still in the vicinity of what is considered classic or would they date the sportcoat? It is a beautiful jacket but needs a little tailoring and TLC (waist suppression and missing one front and one sleeve button) and I'm trying to decide if it would be worth spending the money of if I should donate it. FWIW I'm 6'3", 200lbs and fairly athletic (crossfit + medium distance running).

Thanks in advance,

Luis
    Last edited by lfd75; February 5th, 2018 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfd75 View Post
    Hello everyone,

My father in law just gave me his older Samuelsohn tweed sport coat. At two inches above my navel (slightly above my natural waist) and a couple of millimeters below my collarbone, the button stance and gorge respectively are a little lower than I'm used to. Are these proportions still in the vicinity of what is considered classic or would they date the sportcoat? It is a beautiful jacket but needs a little tailoring and TLC (waist suppression and missing one front and one sleeve button) and I'm trying to decide if it would be worth spending the money of if I should donate it. FWIW I'm 6'3", 200lbs and fairly athletic (crossfit + medium distance running).

Thanks in advance,

Luis
    Pics would help.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Luis
    Pictures would help.

The “classic” position of the fastening button would fall at your actual waistline. If this is a 3 roll 2, it sounds like it would fit well. The description of the 3rd button being so high has me concerned that it’s a 3 button jacket.

Also look at the lapel notch. If it sits low on your chest, it will date the piece quickly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog and @Loafer28,

Thanks for your replies I should be able to post pics tomorrow as the jacket is currently quarantined in the -80 degree freezer at work. To clarify, the jacket is a button 2 (the missing button is the bottom button) with the buttoning point slightly (less than 1cm) above my actual waist. The notch is definitely not at the chest just slightly below my collar bone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrake View Post
    Just brush them. Scratches, scuffs, and knicks pretty much disappear if you wipe them with a damp cloth and then brush the whole boot.

If you really feel the need to apply something then Saphir Renovateur or their greasy leather cream works. https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir...her-cream.html

Here's a long article on CXL and Nick Horween responds to questions about the leather at the bottom. https://www.horween.com/blog/2010/03...mexcel%C2%AE-2
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Here is a picture of me wearing the jacket. The pieces of tape show where my collar bone and belly button are. Also, the top button actually closes at my natural waist. Although the picture does not show it the jacket has red blue and brown overchecks and the lapels are 3.5" wide.

https://imgur.com/iI7t4WJ

Luis

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Here is a picture of me wearing the jacket. The pieces of tape show where my collar bone and belly button are. Also, the top button actually closes at my natural waist. Although the picture does not show it the jacket has red blue and brown overchecks and the lapels are 3.5" wide.

https://imgur.com/iI7t4WJ

Luis
    I think it looks good. A little lower than what’s “fashionable” at the moment, but I think it gives off a classic vibe.