Page 184 of 224 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2237

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    The actual pair has the alden commando sole, which is thin enough while maintaining good traction.

My original question had mostly to do with the looks. Do you think the above, or the one posted here, would work with sports coat/trousers/tie/shirt?
    If that is the case, I would wear them. The link provided stated the boots had double leather soles.

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I work in a pretty casual office in downtown Manhattan. I usually wear button downs and jeans, sometimes with a sport coat or sweater. I try to keep my work look casual but cleaned up and professional.

These Firenze loafers were one of the first pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes I ever bought. I thought they were a bit weird, beyond my style when I bought them. I thought the metal bit was weird. The salesman told me they would grow on me and he was right. I bought them and loved them for years. I had them re-crafted once and then wore them to death. They were so stretched and scuffed that I didn't think they had another re-craft in them so I reluctantly threw them out. I came to really like the texture of the leather and the bit of shine from the bit.

Now I see them on clearance on AE for $197.

So my questions are: Should I buy these same shoes again? Did I make a mistake throwing my first pair out? I assume a bunch of new loafer styles will come out for spring, but this seems like a decent deal and I have a bunch of shoes at re-craft that are taking too long to come back!

https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/...r/SF49980.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I'm looking for some black boots to wear in the gross, relentless winter rain we've been getting lately. One of this week's Dappered e-mails mentioned boots, which seemed to be perfect timing. But I have a couple of questions:

These Aston Grey Chelsea boots look nice - but do the soles have any kind of treads? https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/as...ctiveColor=240

Also does these Romero boots look better in person? Because the website pic does them no favors https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-...ot-men/4609502

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    I work in a pretty casual office in downtown Manhattan. I usually wear button downs and jeans, sometimes with a sport coat or sweater. I try to keep my work look casual but cleaned up and professional.

These Firenze loafers were one of the first pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes I ever bought. I thought they were a bit weird, beyond my style when I bought them. I thought the metal bit was weird. The salesman told me they would grow on me and he was right. I bought them and loved them for years. I had them re-crafted once and then wore them to death. They were so stretched and scuffed that I didn't think they had another re-craft in them so I reluctantly threw them out. I came to really like the texture of the leather and the bit of shine from the bit.

Now I see them on clearance on AE for $197.

So my questions are: Should I buy these same shoes again? Did I make a mistake throwing my first pair out? I assume a bunch of new loafer styles will come out for spring, but this seems like a decent deal and I have a bunch of shoes at re-craft that are taking too long to come back!

https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/...r/SF49980.html
    Deal sleds such as those (aka bit loafers) will stay in style for a long, long time--especially in NYC in areas where finance folks work. If they fit well and you like that version, I'd say under $200 seems like a no brainer if you're looking for a replacement pair.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Deal sleds such as those (aka bit loafers) will stay in style for a long, long time--especially in NYC in areas where finance folks work. If they fit well and you like that version, I'd say under $200 seems like a no brainer if you're looking for a replacement pair.
    I guess that was the subtle push I needed, HornsUp. I just ordered them. It's a little weird to buy the exact same thing you already had, but I guess that's part of finding what works for you.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    I guess that was the subtle push I needed, HornsUp. I just ordered them. It's a little weird to buy the exact same thing you already had, but I guess that's part of finding what works for you.
    I've been on a long search to find loafers that fit my feet well, so I'm jealous. I'm also a big proponent of purchasing multiples of what you know works (to the extent your NYC closet allows!). Once I find the right pants, suits, sportcoats, underwear--whatever--I generally tend to buy a lot and fill my closet with those things. Maybe I'm missing out on a small amount of upside from continuing to search for something even more perfect, but I also save myself a lot of stress in trying to achieve perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I recently bought a pair of brown AE Higgins Mill and am wondering how to take care of ChromeXL boots. The AE website has a page on how to care for their shoes, but it does not talk about ChromeXL. There are videos on Youtube, but none specifically about Higgins Mill and in any case I wanted to check with the experienced folks on this forum.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    I've been looking for a pair of black shoes to add to my work rotation, since the only pair I currently own are black cap-toe oxfords which are a little too formal unless I'm wearing a suit (which I'm usually not).

Are these guys too casual to wear with slacks and a blazer? I'm mostly worried about the white stitching. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/8JKtHrB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zCZQ71Q.jpg

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I've been looking for a pair of black shoes to add to my work rotation, since the only pair I currently own are black cap-toe oxfords which are a little too formal unless I'm wearing a suit (which I'm usually not).

Are these guys too casual to wear with slacks and a blazer? I'm mostly worried about the white stitching. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/8JKtHrB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zCZQ71Q.jpg
    I'm not a fan of that contrast stitching, and I'm personally also not a fan of black shoes with non-black sole edging. Those shoes are also a version of a captoe oxford, so I would suggest looking at a different style such as a black wingtip blutcher, split toe blutcher or chukka boot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    I'm not a fan of that contrast stitching, and I'm personally also not a fan of black shoes with non-black sole edging. Those shoes are also a version of a captoe oxford, so I would suggest looking at a different style such as a black wingtip blutcher, split toe blutcher or chukka boot.
    Yeah, that was my gut reaction as well. I can't seem to find a pair of black shoes that feel like they're at the appropriate level of formality (this is admittedly subjective and possibly irrational); might end up just getting another brown pair instead.