Page 167 of 222 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2212

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Hey all. I'm looking to get a pair or two of new jeans, and hoping someone can give me some direction on here. In the past several years, I transitioned to Levi's. I like the idea of a pair of jeans that are pretty basic, but look good and don't cost an arm and a leg. I had purchased 501's and really liked them, but when I got a bit bigger in the waist, suddenly the legs of the jeans got pretty loose.

I have an older pair of 514's, but once again, when I wear them, I feel like the legs are too loose.

I picked up a pair of J Crew Factory jeans over a year ago, but I don't like how they fit - and neither does my wife .

So, I'm curious about the 511... is it worth trying out? I don't want a skinny fit, but if there's a little less fabric in the legs, that's what I'm looking for.

Or, are there any other recommendations?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4 View Post
    Hey all. I'm looking to get a pair or two of new jeans, and hoping someone can give me some direction on here. In the past several years, I transitioned to Levi's. I like the idea of a pair of jeans that are pretty basic, but look good and don't cost an arm and a leg. I had purchased 501's and really liked them, but when I got a bit bigger in the waist, suddenly the legs of the jeans got pretty loose.

I have an older pair of 514's, but once again, when I wear them, I feel like the legs are too loose.

I picked up a pair of J Crew Factory jeans over a year ago, but I don't like how they fit - and neither does my wife .

So, I'm curious about the 511... is it worth trying out? I don't want a skinny fit, but if there's a little less fabric in the legs, that's what I'm looking for.

My personal rule with Levi's are to try them on in store and buy the pair you try on and like. Just make sure if you do go the route of slimmer legs that you don't look like an upsidedown triangle...that's not flattering.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4 View Post

Yes, do try the 511's but also check out the 513's. They are a slim straight fit, as opposed to the 514 which is more of a regular straight fit. Hopefully one of the two fits the bill. Otherwise check out Gap jeans.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    How do Spier and Mackay sizes match up against J Crew? I'm pretty skinny but the Ludlow in 36s generally fits me well - wondering whether anyone happens to know whether the S&M slim fit is generally similar to Ludlow. Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    How do Spier and Mackay sizes match up against J Crew? I'm pretty skinny but the Ludlow in 36s generally fits me well - wondering whether anyone happens to know whether the S&M slim fit is generally similar to Ludlow. Thanks!
    The contemporary fit is fairly similar, yes. Rick from Spier & Mackay actually told me to try on the Ludlow to get a feel for what the contemporary fit was like. The S&M slim fit will be slightly slimmer than the J.Crew Ludlow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Any sage advice on getting shoes to stop squeaking/creaking? Dress shoes specifically, but feel free to comment with any tips on other sorts.

My issue is that I got a pair of Rockports for work recently (rubberized soles) and despite them being fairly broken in now, the soles and uppers still creak quite a lot when walking. This may be common to just this brand I suppose. However, this has happened before, even with my well worn AE Fifth Avenues. It's driving me crazy and I hate being the loudest walker in a pack of people.

Thanks in advance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WearWhere View Post
    Any sage advice on getting shoes to stop squeaking/creaking? Dress shoes specifically, but feel free to comment with any tips on other sorts.

My issue is that I got a pair of Rockports for work recently (rubberized soles) and despite them being fairly broken in now, the soles and uppers still creak quite a lot when walking. This may be common to just this brand I suppose. However, this has happened before, even with my well worn AE Fifth Avenues. It's driving me crazy and I hate being the loudest walker in a pack of people.

Thanks in advance.
    If the squeaking is on the leather uppers, treat with leather conditioner. For squeaks in the rubber soles, I don't know what to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt Dalton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdalton View Post
    If the squeaking is on the leather uppers, treat with leather conditioner. For squeaks in the rubber soles, I don't know what to tell you.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a go! Yeah the soles I'm still at a loss.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WearWhere View Post

Thanks in advance.
    My AE Daltons squeak every time I polish them. I have found it comes from the tongue area so I add a little baby power to a rag and do a quick "once over" in the area to stop the squeaking.

As for sole squeaking, I get that on some of my shoes on linoleum floors but not carpet. No idea how to fix that other than cringe when I walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    My AE Daltons squeak every time I polish them. I have found it comes from the tongue area so I add a little baby power to a rag and do a quick "once over" in the area to stop the squeaking.

As for sole squeaking, I get that on some of my shoes on linoleum floors but not carpet. No idea how to fix that other than cringe when I walk.
    Good tip! I'll have to try that out on the uppers.
    Thank you!