Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    that sounds a little high...
    If you look on Amazon, that's the weight they list for a pair of Park Avenues (4 lbs shipped). The courier does round up but will re-weigh it anyway as soon as it's scanned, so...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Hey all. I'm in need of a or a couple of new suits. It's been a while since I've been on here, so I figured there may be some new thoughts or developments. I was thinking about going the way of J. Crew Thompson, though I've bought a few second hand blazers off of ebay, and I seem to be in between a 40 and a 42. They do look to offer a 41R now, but are completely out of stock. I may check to see when those will be back in stock.

But, I wonder if I should instead look at purchasing the $399 Suitsupply suits? Are those a major step up in quality?

Are there any other recommendations? I live in Sioux Falls, SD, so I don't have much access to stores to allow me to try on in person.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    490 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4 View Post
    Hey all. I'm in need of a or a couple of new suits. It's been a while since I've been on here, so I figured there may be some new thoughts or developments. I was thinking about going the way of J. Crew Thompson, though I've bought a few second hand blazers off of ebay, and I seem to be in between a 40 and a 42. They do look to offer a 41R now, but are completely out of stock. I may check to see when those will be back in stock.

But, I wonder if I should instead look at purchasing the $399 Suitsupply suits? Are those a major step up in quality?

Are there any other recommendations? I live in Sioux Falls, SD, so I don't have much access to stores to allow me to try on in person.
    I've been very happy with my SuSu suits provided they fit your legs. I found their trousers very narrow, so I needed my tailor to let them and the seat out a bit. To me the SuSu Napoli type suits have a more classic look with the wider lapels. While the return policy is not as easy as SuSu or JCrew, I'd take a look at Spier and MacKay. I've been very impressed and like their suits I purchased even better than the $500 ones I purchased at SuSu. They fit me better out of the box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    @leem, what is the rise of the jeans/pants you're wearing? If you don't know, the manufacturer website should state it. Also, and this is not meant to be creepy, but could it be that you're not getting enough support from your underwear or boxers or whatever?
    Not sure what my rise is, but this is an issue with my dress pants as well. I wear boxers, and I don't seem to think I have a problem there. Everything is fine if I'm standing up or walking around. It's only when I sit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfull View Post
    Sounds like the jeans you're wearing just don't have a high enough rise.

On a side note, you say that the deep curvature of your back ends up emphasizing your rear end. In general the curvature of your lower back shouldn't be "so deep". I'm no physical therapist but that sounds an awful lot like APT (anterior pelvic tilt) which you can remedy with some fairly easy exercise & stretching. Again, I'm no doctor but thought it might be something you'd want to look at.
    I'll definitely look into that. Any help is always appreciated.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post
    If you look on Amazon, that's the weight they list for a pair of Park Avenues (4 lbs shipped). The courier does round up but will re-weigh it anyway as soon as it's scanned, so...
    i don't doubt that's the shipping weight listed or that they re-weight as a bulk seller to be careful...but that doesn't help me when I'm just buying a shipping label to ship for ebay, since there's a big price difference between 2 and 4 pounds. It'll just cost me more money and i don't get to reweigh. I need to be as accurate as possible when purchasing a label w.o going over.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4 View Post

SuitSupply is great quality but I have a problem with their pants. I love their sport coats but am not too happy with my 2 suits. The pants, even on the Napoli which is their most generous fit, have a narrow lower leg which makes them static cling a ton to my socks.

As for JCF, I wouldn't think the difference between 40 and 42 would be too much of an issue. I am in the same boat where a 41R is perfect in most cases but a lot of places do not carry them.

Spier and Mackay offers free returns on your first suit or sport coat so I would try to dial in a fit and try a suit from them and SuitSupply. Currently you can try S&M for roughly $300, SuitSupply for $400, and also compare those then to JCF. Good luck!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    i don't doubt that's the shipping weight listed or that they re-weight as a bulk seller to be careful...but that doesn't help me when I'm just buying a shipping label to ship for ebay, since there's a big price difference between 2 and 4 pounds. It'll just cost me more money and i don't get to reweigh. I need to be as accurate as possible when purchasing a label w.o going over.
    I just sold 2 pairs of AEs on ebay within the last month. For both I used the pre-populated weight that was assigned to the box size by USPS. The first pair they shipped no questions asked. The second pair they weighed and told me I was a little under on my estimate but they would ship it anyway. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd use the low estimate from ebay or USPS and see what happens. If you want to be conservative use a weight around 3-3.5 lbs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    For anyone curious, I ended up just taking the box to a mailing center, getting it weighed then bought a shipping label online. For 2 pairs of shoes, a belt, watchstrap and 1 tube of shoe polish, it came out to 5 pounds 3 oz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

casual shoes for european vacation

Hi all- heading to England and Spain in July and looking for recommendations for some good, casual shoes that can handle a lot of good walking. I know there's a big push towards white canvas sneakers, but I'm hesitant re: keeping them clean. Any other recommendations? Thanks!