Thanks for the pointer!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    483 Post(s)
    Thoughts on this double monk:
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/as...ctiveColor=240

I was looking for something darker to rock and for the price $67 after 25% off, I am thinking it's hard to beat. I've had Ashton Grey before and got pretty good mileage out of them and this wouldn't be an every week type of shoe.

Any others I should consider around the $100 price range?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Thoughts on this double monk:
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/as...ctiveColor=240

I was looking for something darker to rock and for the price $67 after 25% off, I am thinking it's hard to beat. I've had Ashton Grey before and got pretty good mileage out of them and this wouldn't be an every week type of shoe.

Any others I should consider around the $100 price range?
    Great shape but the reverse welt look bugs me. I doubt anyone will notice but it makes it look less sleek.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1443 Post(s)
    Does it wreck a manual watch if you wind it in the opposite direction to set the time?

For example my watch is dead at 7am and the time is 6am. Does it wreck the watch to wind it back one hour (or two, or three, etc.) rather than than winding the watch forward all the way back to 6am?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Does it wreck a manual watch if you wind it in the opposite direction to set the time?

For example my watch is dead at 7am and the time is 6am. Does it wreck the watch to wind it back one hour (or two, or three, etc.) rather than than winding the watch forward all the way back to 6am?
    Nope.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    @DocDave not at all. The only thing most people advise against is winding the time forward/back between 10pm-2am ish where it forces the date to change as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    I plan on attending two weddings in the next couple months. They will be pretty nice (not a casual outdoor wedding), but not super nice. I need to buy a suit since I outgrew all my other ones after squatting :-p

I recently purchased the Land's End Navy Chino suit, because I really like it and also plan on using the pants and jacket separately at times, as I think the jacket would go well with jeans, for instance.

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...69&PID=4025845

However, do you think wearing that navy chino suit to a pretty nice wedding is okay or not? If not, I probably will by a Land's End Wool Yearrounder in Navy. I also plan on wearing AE Mcallisters in Chili if that makes any difference.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    I think there is a distinction to be drawn here between "can you get away with it" and "is this the most ideal outfit for the circumstances."

Can you get away with it? Almost certainly, yes. Is it the most ideal? Honestly, very difficult to say without knowing more about the wedding, venue, local customs, the other attendees, etc. I can certainly imagine a "pretty nice" wedding where a cotton suit would be more than adequate. I can also imagine a "pretty nice" wedding where a cotton suit would look overly relaxed. Certainly, if the venue is something like a large, historic church in an East Coast city, I think you'd be pushing your luck with a cotton suit. On the other hand, here where I live in the ultra-casual Rockies, I'd probably be among the top 25% most dressed-up if I wore a cotton suit to even the most "formal" of weddings.

If you need a new suit anyway for general suit purposes I would think the wool would be a better choice.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    I plan on attending two weddings in the next couple months. They will be pretty nice (not a casual outdoor wedding), but not super nice. I need to buy a suit since I outgrew all my other ones after squatting :-p

I recently purchased the Land's End Navy Chino suit, because I really like it and also plan on using the pants and jacket separately at times, as I think the jacket would go well with jeans, for instance.

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...69&PID=4025845

However, do you think wearing that navy chino suit to a pretty nice wedding is okay or not? If not, I probably will by a Land's End Wool Yearrounder in Navy. I also plan on wearing AE Mcallisters in Chili if that makes any difference.
    I think you will be fine in that suit. I recently wore the J Crew version of a chino suit to a wedding that I think would fall under the "pretty nice, but not super nice" category and I felt like it was completely appropriate.

That being said, I think owning a wool navy(or charcoal) suit is a great idea for the majority of guys. For fancier weddings, job interviews, funerals, traditional business situation, ect a chino suit is not really ideal and a dark wool would be a much better option. So I don't think you need to run out and get the wool suit specifically for these weddings, but if it fits in your budget it could be a good purchase and you could wear it to one of the weddings to give you a little variety.

TMann
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    Aręte: Sorry to answer your question with another question, but I was wondering what you think of your Lands End Chino suit? How was the fit? Any complaints? And are those sleeve buttons functional?