Page 144 of 224 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2237

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Any thoughts on Joseph Aabound shoes? I think I saw one once on the blog, but not sure what everyone's consensus is on them. I've got this shoe locally that will be about $50:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-cl...FUpNfgodlCUCpg

I'm looking for a lighter brown wingtip in this price range. The Stafford Logan just doesn't fit quite right, and I ended up finding these Joseph Aabounds. I'm not expecting an amazing quality shoe, but would like it to give me more that a few months of wear.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)
    Thanks @Token. I realize(d) the carpet wasn't the greatest but that's all I had to work with.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)
    Do you guys do anything to protect/waterproof for AE shoes? Talking about walking though/in rain showers. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I finally caved in and bought a pair of cognac brown chelsea boots, any outfit suggestions? More casual wear preferably, not ready to attempt them with my suit rotations.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    First-time poster here with something of a newbie question. I'm curious what the general opinion is around here of tan dress shoes. Most of my current pairs are more conventional (i.e. darker) shades of brown; I'm looking for something I could wear to work and also with jeans, but after looking through old threads have the impression that many people here consider tan insufficiently versatile and/or too ostentatious.

(For context, my workplace is pretty casual - most men wear jeans/khakis; I generally wear slacks).

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    First-time poster here with something of a newbie question. I'm curious what the general opinion is around here of tan dress shoes. Most of my current pairs are more conventional (i.e. darker) shades of brown; I'm looking for something I could wear to work and also with jeans, but after looking through old threads have the impression that many people here consider tan insufficiently versatile and/or too ostentatious.

(For context, my workplace is pretty casual - most men wear jeans/khakis; I generally wear slacks).

Thanks!
    A tan/beige shoe could be tough but something like a walnut/cognac/bourbon is pretty easy to wear. If you have examples, post the links.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teethtime View Post
    Any thoughts on Joseph Aabound shoes? I think I saw one once on the blog, but not sure what everyone's consensus is on them. I've got this shoe locally that will be about $50:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-cl...FUpNfgodlCUCpg

I'm looking for a lighter brown wingtip in this price range. The Stafford Logan just doesn't fit quite right, and I ended up finding these Joseph Aabounds. I'm not expecting an amazing quality shoe, but would like it to give me more that a few months of wear.
    As you already know, those won't be high quality, and at that price are almost certainly cemented soles. Having said that, they look better than most shoes I've seen for $50. For the original price I would pass, but certainly a wearable style.

Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Do you guys do anything to protect/waterproof for AE shoes? Talking about walking though/in rain showers. Thanks.
    The only shoes I apply any waterproofing to are suede shoes. With my calf leather AEs I simply polish with shoe cream and check the weather report. If it calls for rain and I decide to wear leather shoes then I throw on my rubber overshoes, however old-mannish it might come off as. Note that the shoes I'm talking about have leather soles, so applying waterproofing to the upper won't address the problem of wearing these shoes in the rain because the soles will get wet and wear down more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by beaver View Post
    I finally caved in and bought a pair of cognac brown chelsea boots, any outfit suggestions? More casual wear preferably, not ready to attempt them with my suit rotations.
    Jeans are the obvious choice, but also many other casual pants such as cords and chinos. I think cognac would look good with pant colors such as navy, other blue shades, greens (olive and forest), burgundy, off white and white. Shades of brown and tan would work too, just be careful that there is some contrast otherwise it can look a bit odd when the shoes match the pants too closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post

Thanks!
    Tan "dress shoes" can look good with jean, and I see that many guys like them even with a navy suit. I see that combination a lot. However I don't like that look as it draws attention to your feet. Having said that, I'll accept that it's a conscious choice that many guys make and I'm sure many people consider it stylish as much as I don't like it.

I will say that the style of shoe matter to me when wearing it in more casual situations. I think the best tan shoes are wingtips, as they can be worn more casually. If tan shoes are going to be worn with dressier trousers then I prefer pairing it with very light grey trousers, or any other lighter shade rather than navy or charcoal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    A tan/beige shoe could be tough but something like a walnut/cognac/bourbon is pretty easy to wear. If you have examples, post the links.
    I might not be describing it correctly - referring to this color:

Tan "dress shoes" can look good with jean, and I see that many guys like them even with a navy suit. I see that combination a lot. However I don't like that look as it draws attention to your feet. Having said that, I'll accept that it's a conscious choice that many guys make and I'm sure many people consider it stylish as much as I don't like it.

I will say that the style of shoe matter to me when wearing it in more casual situations. I think the best tan shoes are wingtips, as they can be worn more casually. If tan shoes are going to be worn with dressier trousers then I prefer pairing it with very light grey trousers, or any other lighter shade rather than navy or charcoal.
    That's helpful; thanks. I'm not really looking to draw attention, so sounds like it would be safer to stick with a darker/more standard shade of brown.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that's just walnut. The AE site has a bunch of different shoes in walnut and depending on the shoe/lighting it can look lighter or darker.

Your picture looks a bit on the lighter side while this one looks darker, but I think should be the same color in the end.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...ds/SF1635.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    That is definitely AE Walnut. There is still a bit of variance with the color from shoe to shoe however. Some I have seen look more on the orange side while others lean a little more tan. As others have said, I would suggest sticking to a darker brown.

On the flip side I'm a huge fan of the Walnut AE's come summer time when you can get away with wearing some more vibrant colors.