Page 141 of 222 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Is the $100 saving on AE bourbon shoes a good deal? Specifically the McAllisters for $295?
    Decent deal, but not the best for McAllisters. For example, the burgundy McAllisters and brown similar version from BB were in the low 200s not that long ago ( https://dappered.com/2016/08/how-to-...ingtip-oxford/ and https://dappered.com/2016/12/steal-a...tional-25-off/ )

From my recollection, not sure they go down much further than $300-325 from AE. I got my pair when they were 'doing away' with Bourbon AEs and still not 100% I got a better deal than that on bourbon (it's been a year or three).

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Well at least we're all consistent, even if you have to read it thrice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Is the $100 saving on AE bourbon shoes a good deal? Specifically the McAllisters for $295?
    Its a good deal, but not a great one. AE pretty routinely runs $100 off sales, usually limited to a specific style or color (They did this for Merlot last year, then its was $100 of strands, then after that sale it was $100 off boots, now $100 off bourbon, ect). If you're patient sometimes they will do $150 off (like they did for Fifth Aves on their anniversary sale last year) or they might wind up on clearance in the $200-$250 price range, of course there is not guarantee this will happen........ if I was in need of some wingtips, liked bourbon, and it fit my budget I would have no problem paying $300 for a pair of new McAllisters.

Edit: guess I am about 3 minutes too slow

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Do you guys know any store that sells a mac similar to this
    https://ministryofsupply.com/products/dry-days-mac-1

Waterproof, with hood, not too bulky.

I think $375 is too much for this. Looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    I'm wearing my Spier brown wool/linen herringbone suit for the first time today. (Bit of a tactical error given that it is 0 degrees and blizzarding out but that's how it goes.) I like it overall but my shoes (brown suede chukkas) match the suit almost perfectly, as do most of my dressier shoes, which are almost all dark brown. I'm not sure whether it's giving a bit of a footie pajama look since they are so similar. I guess I'm just wondering what other folks wear for shoes when they wear brown suits or brown trousers. I am probably just overthinking things. Will try to post up some pics later.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'm wearing my Spier brown wool/linen herringbone suit for the first time today. (Bit of a tactical error given that it is 0 degrees and blizzarding out but that's how it goes.) I like it overall but my shoes (brown suede chukkas) match the suit almost perfectly, as do most of my dressier shoes, which are almost all dark brown. I'm not sure whether it's giving a bit of a footie pajama look since they are so similar. I guess I'm just wondering what other folks wear for shoes when they wear brown suits or brown trousers. I am probably just overthinking things. Will try to post up some pics later.
    I like a bit of contrast - I would probably go with merlot or lighter brown shoes for dark brown trousers and dark brown shoes for light brown trousers.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Pic:

Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I also really dislike not having contrast between my shoes and pants, the footie pajama look is a great way to describe it. I would think having suede shoes might even make things worse, because now not only is there no color contrast, but also there is probably not much texture contrast either. A pair of shiny smooth brown leather shoes might be an improvement. Fortunately for me I have a pair of very dark brown (almost chocolate) oxfords that are noticeably darker than my darkest pair of brown trousers. They are definitely not the dappered thread favorites, but i'll wear black shoes with brown pants from time to time and think it can actually look great. I generally try to avoid shoes that are lighter than my pants, but this could be a situation where some walnut type shoes could work out too?

Edit: After seeing the pictures, I really like that suit, and I don't think the suede texture of the shoes are doing you any favors, I think that same color in smooth leather would actually look pretty nice with the suit.
    Last edited by Me27; January 11th, 2017 at 12:19 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    I like it overall but my shoes (brown suede chukkas) match the suit almost perfectly, as do most of my dressier shoes, which are almost all dark brown. I'm not sure whether it's giving a bit of a footie pajama look since they are so similar.
    I think the shoes actually look nice with that suit. I don't think the low contrast there meshes well with the high contrast you've got going on with the tie and shirt, though. I think those shoes, that suit, and something like a light blue shirt with a solid burgundy tie would look very nice.