Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2163

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemunkee View Post
    I am attending an outdoor wedding in next week and I only have a navy suit. I was thinking of wearing a plain white seersucker shirt with a chambray tie. Would the smoothness of the suit class with the texture of the shirt?
    I don't see any issues with it. A play on textures is always fun. Would love to see pics of the rig for better assessment though since we are talking about textures. And don't forget about the pocket square. It could really bring the rig all together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I have a black tie event coming up…a few tux questions:

1. I was thinking of wearing suspenders but no cummerbund/vest/waist coat. Is that something that's done typically or is it a no-no?

2. Would a pair of well-shined black cap-toe shoes suffice in place of patent leather tuxedo shoes?

3. What's the best material for a white pocket square for a tux?

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sskim3 View Post
    I don't see any issues with it. A play on textures is always fun. Would love to see pics of the rig for better assessment though since we are talking about textures. And don't forget about the pocket square. It could really bring the rig all together.
    Of course, a PS. Mine happens to be linen so that adds to the textures. Here's a shot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemunkee View Post
    Of course, a PS. Mine happens to be linen so that adds to the textures. Here's a shot.

I like the blazer and the tie. I thought the chambray tie would have a little bit more texture. IMHO, I think a silk knit tie would kick it up a notch due to the added texture. The chambray tie looks like a smooth silk tie which makes the rig a little flat.

Hopefully others will be able to chime in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    A little bit of tie bar action might kick it up a notch, too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Not a fan. It just looks like you're wearing a wrinkled shirt. Plus the collar is too small (it should touch the lapels). I like the tie, but it needs a dimple below the knot. Agree that a tie bar would look sharp with the skinny tie.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    @dcer10
    1. Depends on the shirt and the pants. If you're wearing a traditional pleated or bib front shirt with belt loop pants, it will look like you don't know how to dress yourself. If it's a plain front shirt with high waisted pants made for braces, then no problem.

2. Again, depends on the outfit. A tradional tux with bib front shirt, wingtip collar, and bow tie, I'd do patent leather. With a more modern look of plain front shirt and long tie, regular cap toes may add to the "casually cool" hip look.

3. Silk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can anyone ID the leather jacket in the pictures below? Thanks.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2052 Post(s)
    Looks more like waxed cotton than leather to me, maybe Belstaff or Barbour.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sskim3 View Post
    I like the blazer and the tie. I thought the chambray tie would have a little bit more texture. IMHO, I think a silk knit tie would kick it up a notch due to the added texture. The chambray tie looks like a smooth silk tie which makes the rig a little flat.

Hopefully others will be able to chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Not a fan. It just looks like you're wearing a wrinkled shirt. Plus the collar is too small (it should touch the lapels). I like the tie, but it needs a dimple below the knot. Agree that a tie bar would look sharp with the skinny tie.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonFed View Post
    A little bit of tie bar action might kick it up a notch, too.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I plan to use a tie bar, I just didn't feel like breaking it out for the photo. I will definitely have a dimple, I just tied a quick FIH for the photo (the skinny end is actually longer than the fat end, but don't tell anyone ) I'm still out on weather to wear that shirt or not...