Page 112 of 219 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2182

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake Gentner View Post
    Just found this place -- I need some advice, and have no idea where to start.

Wedding this weekend (of course, it's always last minute). Wearing light grey windowpane slacks. AE Strands in walnut with matching belt. What kind of jacket do I wear? I need to buy one (all I have are suit jackets and none of them are appropriate). Wedding is not formal at all.

Will be going to Nordstrom Rack, Jos A Bank (I know, but...). Would like to keep the price under $200.

I've been told no jacket (but the wedding is in SF, I think I need one if nothign else to offer to my wife).

I've been told to wear a navy blazer.

Are there any other options? Help me Obi-Wan(s), you're my only hope.
    I know you say that the wedding is not formal but I would recommend a suit anyway. If you insist on wearing the pants, I agree that a solid navy blazer would work best. You can find them anywhere. Ideally you would buy one today (Wednesday) so that it can be tailored in time for the wedding unless you luck out and the blazer fits great off the rack. JAB will probably be too boxy OTR. Nordstrom Rack may have something but it's hit or miss. Check J Crew and Banana Republic for any sales.

Check Macy's or regular Nordstrom's if you have one nearby to grab something on sale. You should be able to keep it under $200 but tailoring might put you over unless it's just sleeves.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leija View Post
    I'm getting some formal wear stuff together, and I'm not into the whole tux thing... Can anyone give me a fair review of this jacket? ASOS Skinny fit in velvet
    All poly, chopped tail, skinny lapels, for $86? I'd pass.
    Last edited by Rocco; August 12th, 2015 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I ran out to a NR at lunch, changed into my slacks / shirt / shoes at the store and spent some time with their selection of jackets. Found one that I really liked with the brass buttons -- but I'm not now nor never will be a captain of a ship, so they are swapping them out for some other generic buttons included in the tailoring.

Thanks for the confirmation / recommendation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    First post here.

I live in Texas where halfway through December it is not out of the ordinary to be wearing shorts. With that being said, I am in the market for my first pair of brown leather boots. I would like for them to be versatile (dressed up or down). I would guess the majority of the time I would be wearing them with dark denim. So what boots do you recommend for a beginner Texan, new to boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Assuming you don't want cowboy boots ( it IS Texas), how dressed up do you want to go? All 5 boots on this page,
    https://www.meermin.es/catalogo.php?idFamilia4=5
    can be dressed up or down somewhat and cover most of the spectrum. Other types to consider are Indy boots, nice workboots like Wolverine 1K, Chelsea and jodphurs. If a suit isn't in the equation, I see a dressy chukka being perhaps the most versatile.

What's your budget for these? We can recommend specific items if we have a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerchaumet View Post
    First post here.

I live in Texas where halfway through December it is not out of the ordinary to be wearing shorts. With that being said, I am in the market for my first pair of brown leather boots. I would like for them to be versatile (dressed up or down). I would guess the majority of the time I would be wearing them with dark denim. So what boots do you recommend for a beginner Texan, new to boots?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Cords are perfectly acceptable casual wear. Does your sister see jeans as bad as sweat pants? A 5-pocket cord would be similar to jeans in formality, something like this

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Plain-...ntpos=19&cgid=

would be a step up from that since they're styled like dress pants. Yes you can wear them with a sportcoat, the specifics depend on the material and styling. You might also want to look at moleskin pants if you really like cords. As far as tapered, depends on the cut and you can find from straight leg to extremely tapered in every price range from Old Navy to Brooks to http://www.mrporter.com/mens/search?keywords=corduroy

Quote Originally Posted by Cfred371 View Post
    Someone had a post about corduroys and that got me thinking about cords, how much I loved them before I knew more about clothes, and many other things.
    Question(s): Where is a good place to buy corduroys? I like a bit of taper at the ankle and it seems all the cords I ever see are straight legged.

2nd question: What do you wear with your corduroys, if you wear them at all? My sister gives me flack for wearing cords and sees them as about as acceptable as sweatpants to wear outside of the house. Does anyone wear corduroys with a sportcoat? I've never had a pair since graduating college, possibly high school, so I wanted to hear what people thought.
    Thanks!

Edit: Also I'm aware that the amount of whales on a pair of pants effects whether the material is more formal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    @winghus Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    @winghus Thank you for the reply. I will not be looking to wear these with a suit, but denim, chinos and cords are in play. My budget is about $250-$300.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerchaumet View Post
    I will not be looking to wear these with a suit, but denim, chinos and cords are in play. My budget is about $250-$300.
    Chippewa Service Boots would look good with denim, chinos, and cords - but wouldn't cut it if you went any fancier.

Wolverine 1000 mile boots (as mentioned by @wingus) may also be worth considering if you like the workboot style. I thought there was a captoe option for the Wolverine 1K, which could be a good option if you wanted some workboots that were just a little bit different.

And of course - there's the much loved AE Dalton. The Seconds may be just a bit out of your budget, but if you can stretch it, it may be worth it. Alternatively, if you can wait, the price may dip. A few months ago the price dropped to $209 for the Daltons, but I don't expect that will happen again anytime soon as we head into fall.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    I am attending an outdoor wedding in next week and I only have a navy suit. I was thinking of wearing a plain white seersucker shirt with a chambray tie. Would the smoothness of the suit class with the texture of the shirt?