Page 106 of 226 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2258

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Black tassel loafers for business casual/jacket+trousers or chimps/occasional suit: yay or nay? Keep in mind that I have 8 pairs of brown or burgundy shoes (Venetian, penny, plain toe bluchers, cap toe oxfords, suede longwings, caf longwings, suede chukka, wingtip boots).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbi2k View Post
    I have that exact sportcoat in Medium. I'm typically around a 40 chest, and it fits me well, possibly just a tiny bit snug. If you're a 38, a Medium is probably the right call; you might need it taken in a bit, but easier for a tailor to take a Medium in a little than let a Small out a lot. JCF has a good return policy so worst-case scenario you exchange it.

Notice they have the Navy back in stock. That's tempting. I've got a cotton Ludlow in their "shirting" fabric set to show up on Wednesday, though; guess I'll see how that feels first. I may have a tiny bit of an addiction; I keep trying to find the perfect lightweight navy summer sportcoat and keep not quite getting it right.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll be honest, I'm still leaning toward the small. I've been trying on a fair number of blazers recently and sometimes it feels like I can almost fit into a 36 whereas a 40 always seems to big for me. I just missed JCF's sale so I'll probably wait until the next one rolls around.

I noticed the navy too. Looks nice. I guess I have two decisions to make now...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I would say nay as a general rule. I try to fit burgundy shoes in wherever black shoes might be the default choice. Loafers--especially the tasseled variety--tend to be found on older gentlemen in a more casual business office--at least in my experience. Also, my dad wears a tasseled loafer and my two twenty-something-year old sisters make fun of them...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    Black tassel loafers for business casual/jacket+trousers or chimps/occasional suit: yay or nay? Keep in mind that I have 8 pairs of brown or burgundy shoes (Venetian, penny, plain toe bluchers, cap toe oxfords, suede longwings, caf longwings, suede chukka, wingtip boots).
    I wouldn't. Too many other styles out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hey all - any thoughts/suggestions on belt pairings to go with suede shoes? (gray JCrew Kenton bucks) Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blau19 View Post
    I would say nay as a general rule. I try to fit burgundy shoes in wherever black shoes might be the default choice. Loafers--especially the tasseled variety--tend to be found on older gentlemen in a more casual business office--at least in my experience. Also, my dad wears a tasseled loafer and my two twenty-something-year old sisters make fun of them...
    Do you mean I should get them in another color or get another kind of shoe in black?

Would a black dress boot, like the Bleecker Street, be more versatile? I really like the Grayson tassel loafers but I would like to get some use out of them.
    Last edited by doomx; June 29th, 2015 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomx View Post
    Do you mean I should get them in another color or get another kind of shoe in black?

Would a black dress boot, like the Bleecker Street, be more versatile? I really like the Grayson tassel loafers but I would like to get some use out of them.
    I have a pair of Bleecker Street in bourbon. They would definitely be more versatile in any color because they can be worn with anything, but they may not be appropriate for summer wear. If you really like the Grayson, consider how the oxblood calf would fit in your wardrobe. A black loafer just seems at odds with itself because black tends to be more formal and a loafer more casual...it's a fashion paradox like a polo with a sport coat...however both are acceptable if it fits with your style.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    @doomx I am a big loafer fan but I would have to agree w/ blau19 about the black Graysons. You want a pair of black shoes for wear with a jacket, I have black AE Fifth Street boots. I think they'd be perfect for what you're describing. Really love wearing them. Bleecker St is a similar option but to be honest I don't like how it looks nearly as much. Black bluchers don't really do it for me anyway. Claghorn on SF recently mentioned that he has a pair of black sleek PTB that are one of his most worn pairs of shoes (gray trousers, white shirt, navy jacket, non-brown tie) and I can see the use but I haven't warmed up to it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, new to the site, but I love seeing all this feedback and had my first question.

https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...me=quartz-grey

Bought the above pants in quartz grey recently, and I love them. Now that I have them though, I am struggling to find ideas about what to wear them with. Even just colors you might try them with would be useful.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    Thank you all for the input. I do have some trad roots/trend/attitude, and the black tassels are a staple for that. I have been interested in mixing styles a bit. I am not sure I like the bourbon color in shoes; I feel they are too loud for my taste. And I am concerned about how red the oxbloods would be. Not close to an AE store. The Bleecker St remains an interesting option, and I believe they are very versatile in brown/chili, but they are only available in black, and I feel if I go for a black shoe, the Graysons remain a good option. I will do my usual trial where I will wear the Graysons in the house after work with every outfit I wear for the next 2-3 weeks, and take it from there. They sure look very sharp with my charcoal SS Napoli!! In that sense, I think the black color makes the loafers (especially in tassel) more formal and suit-worthy, in a classic american/modern italian way.