Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoe_less View Post
    Hi,

First post here and looking for some advice (I am sure there are hundreds of us). Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you are contributing here. I am trying to decide on a shoe color for a similar suit to: http://dappered.com/2015/04/style-sc...ng-dressed-up/. I was thinking of a brown but can't quite decide on a shade. Would either bourbon calf or walnut calf generally work http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._-1?style=1626 (I don't have these but may talk myself in to them, either way the general color is applicable). I feel like the bourbon calf would be a little more versatile but I don't really know much about this. I assume it makes a difference what shirt and tie I am aiming for? I am thinking about trying to work in a dark pink/light red in either the pocket square, shirt or tie, but not as a solid (unless maybe in the PS). Is there a general rule of thumb for lighter browns vs darker browns and what you would do with your tie and shirt? Along the same lines, any additional (to the scenario article) recommendations for cheaper footwear (100-200)?

Thanks
    An answer to your question really depends a lot on what else you have. If this is your only (or only good) suit and shoes then I'd advise against that grey and almost any color strand because the grey is too light to be truly versatile, and the strand's broguing is a touch too informal for your one good shoe. (I made the same "mistake" myself).

Otherwise, the bourbon is darker and so will be more versatile, but either will go, although walnut would be more casual. And both the shoes and the suit will go with just about any shirt and tie combo I think.

Allen Edmonds shoebank, as well as eBay are places to get cheaper shoes.
    Otherwise Meermin (perhaps for that price)
    You could try: http://putthison.com/post/1080850118...-as-110-prices
    John Doe
    Jack Erwin

This sort of question is also why I really don't like this thread. (not the OP's fault at all, I just feel that these things are better discussed in their own threads).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Image of the Invisible View Post
    Hey guys,

I need some basic, plain colored t shirts. I haven't been able to find some good ones in about 2 years so it is time for new ones! I dont mind what fabric as long as it is breathable. I am 5'11 170lbs usually wear a medium
    I've just got my three gustins and I really like them. I also otherwise go for Uniqlo because, it is, afterall, just a t-shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I'd advise against that grey and almost any color strand because the grey is too light to be truly versatile
    I own that suit, and it is not too light. Granted, it's not a true dark charcoal, but it is plenty versatile. My only caution as a first/only suit is that the cut, in SS style, is slim/modern. It is currently possible in a business environment, but it is right on the edge. In a couple years it could be out of style.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmclaughlin View Post
    I am thinking of picking up a pair of shoes during the AE tent sale.
    Mora in Bourbon http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100
    Warwick in walnut http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100k
    Norwich in brown http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100

Anyone think that one is more versatile than another?
    I wear khakis/chinos for work and the occasional suit (half dozen times per year maybe)
    I would like a pair that can be dressed down with jeans as well as dressed up with chinos/wool dress pants/ suits

Thanks
    The Warwick is a beautiful, sleek shoe. It's not going to be as versatile as you need it to be, in Walnut. I wouldn't wear the Norwich with most suits, and I wouldn't wear the Mora with jeans. So, of the three, the Norwich.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    730 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    The Warwick is a beautiful, sleek shoe. It's not going to be as versatile as you need it to be, in Walnut. I wouldn't wear the Norwich with most suits, and I wouldn't wear the Mora with jeans. So, of the three, the Norwich.
    i wear moras with jeans all the time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    i wear moras with jeans all the time...
    Would you happen to have any pictures of this?

Also, with the AMEX $50 off of $200 at AE I am thinking I will buy 2 pair.

Norwich and either mora 2.0 or warwick.
    Now I just need to choose...
    Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hey, my first post!

Here goes: How do JCF's unconstructed sportcoats fit? I have a 38 chest and their size chart recommends a medium. When it comes to tops, though, I always buy a small. I feel like it's better to risk going slighty small than slightly big.

Unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to visit a JCF in person any time soon, so I'll have to rely on you guys.

Thanks!

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I'm looking at the linen in natural as seen here:

https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...r_name=natural

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    An answer to your question really depends a lot on what else you have. If this is your only (or only good) suit and shoes then I'd advise against that grey and almost any color strand because the grey is too light to be truly versatile, and the strand's broguing is a touch too informal for your one good shoe. (I made the same "mistake" myself).

Otherwise, the bourbon is darker and so will be more versatile, but either will go, although walnut would be more casual. And both the shoes and the suit will go with just about any shirt and tie combo I think.
    Thank you (and the other gentleman) for the advice! I ended up rolling the dice on some strands from the shoebank, with the amex discount it was about $150. I have a few other suits, it just happens to be my newest suit so I want to give it a spin. I went to a local store to try some strands on and get a better feel for the color and I was surprised how much I liked the walnut more than bourbon in the moment, so that is what I ended up ordering over the phone -- if I hadn't gone in person, I would have gone with the bourbon. Despite the name, I am not entirely "shoe less", I have just been overlooking them too much (among my dress in general). I work for a software company and dress business casual for work in an environment that ranges from sneakers and t-shirts to sport coats but with the majority on the less formal side. Though my current shoes aren't great (and would probably be shamed here), they are passable for now, though the next shoe I get will probably be a more formal black.

I ended up changing my mind on the shirt tie/combo but could use some help on a pocket square. Better to ask here with a photo or another thread?

Thanks!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizzywig View Post
    Hey, my first post!

Here goes: How do JCF's unconstructed sportcoats fit? I have a 38 chest and their size chart recommends a medium. When it comes to tops, though, I always buy a small. I feel like it's better to risk going slighty small than slightly big.

Unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to visit a JCF in person any time soon, so I'll have to rely on you guys.

Thanks!

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I'm looking at the linen in natural as seen here:

https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...r_name=natural
    I have that exact sportcoat in Medium. I'm typically around a 40 chest, and it fits me well, possibly just a tiny bit snug. If you're a 38, a Medium is probably the right call; you might need it taken in a bit, but easier for a tailor to take a Medium in a little than let a Small out a lot. JCF has a good return policy so worst-case scenario you exchange it.

Notice they have the Navy back in stock. That's tempting. I've got a cotton Ludlow in their "shirting" fabric set to show up on Wednesday, though; guess I'll see how that feels first. I may have a tiny bit of an addiction; I keep trying to find the perfect lightweight navy summer sportcoat and keep not quite getting it right.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    My Allen Edmonds Kenilworth derbys need to be recrafted and I was thinking about having the Dainite sole used. I've had good luck with that soul as my Rush Street oxfords use that sole, but was wondering if some of the other rubber options such as the Othello sole were worth taking a look at. Does anybody here have thoughts on this or experience with the Othello sole?

Regards,
    Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard