Page 104 of 227 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2267

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    can you guys recommend a versatile loafer that will look good with jeans to chinos.
    since its summer, i'd like to try sockless once in a while.
    thanks.
    What's your price target?

Bass has some good basics, as does Allen Edmonds shoebank site. I'd start with a basic medium brown that goes with just about everything. I have Allen Edmonds Mckinley personally, and love them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    @jakeyb: this will be like a "starter" shoe for me, so i'd like to keep it below $100.
    is bass walton any good?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Looks like there's a thread on the subject of sub-$100 loafers right now, although that poster seems to be looking for something a little dressier.

I recently picked up a pair of brown Florsheim Berkelys from Amazon, and I like them. They felt a little weird at first since they have more padding in the heel than the toe, but within the first day they broke in and felt perfectly normal. They're more on the casual end of the spectrum, with a silhouette closer to a boat shoe than a dress shoe, but they're a good deal for the price if that's what you're looking for.

The price tends to fluctuate around the $100 mark depending on your size; mine (9.5) ran for about $90 when I got them but it looks like they've gone up to $125, so keep an eye on them and check other merchants, too, because a lot of places seem to carry them (including JCP, so you might be able to find them in a B&M store for a try-on).

The Florsheim Jets linked on the other thread look pretty good too for roughly the same price if you're looking for something slightly dressier.
    Last edited by hbi2k; June 11th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Hey guys,

I need some basic, plain colored t shirts. I haven't been able to find some good ones in about 2 years so it is time for new ones! I dont mind what fabric as long as it is breathable. I am 5'11 170lbs usually wear a medium

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    I get my plain shirts from either the Gap or BR. Depends on price and who has what in stock.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I get my plain shirts from either the Gap or BR. Depends on price and who has what in stock.
    Every tshirt I've gotten from BR has shrunk, sometimes even without the dryer. I try to avoid using it, but it always accidentally finds its way in there, and bam, 20$ down the drain. I like the target mossimo tees, and old navy. I actually bought some plain heathered shirts from buckle on a sale and they held up incredibly well. Don't be tempted by the bedazzling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

First post here and looking for some advice (I am sure there are hundreds of us). Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you are contributing here. I am trying to decide on a shoe color for a similar suit to: http://dappered.com/2015/04/style-sc...ng-dressed-up/. I was thinking of a brown but can't quite decide on a shade. Would either bourbon calf or walnut calf generally work http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._-1?style=1626 (I don't have these but may talk myself in to them, either way the general color is applicable). I feel like the bourbon calf would be a little more versatile but I don't really know much about this. I assume it makes a difference what shirt and tie I am aiming for? I am thinking about trying to work in a dark pink/light red in either the pocket square, shirt or tie, but not as a solid (unless maybe in the PS). Is there a general rule of thumb for lighter browns vs darker browns and what you would do with your tie and shirt? Along the same lines, any additional (to the scenario article) recommendations for cheaper footwear (100-200)?

Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    191 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Image of the Invisible View Post
    Hey guys,

I need some basic, plain colored t shirts. I haven't been able to find some good ones in about 2 years so it is time for new ones! I dont mind what fabric as long as it is breathable. I am 5'11 170lbs usually wear a medium
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/han...colorFamily=27

More substantial than Target t-shirts and cheaper than BR/Gap. Also STP has constant 30% to 40% off coupons, but also can be purchased just about anywhere else online. Fits reasonably slim and slightly long.

Alternatively, http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Loom-4-P.../dp/B00B81I4IU

They're t-shirts, don't overspend.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    @shoe_less - Every color of Strands is going to match that suit. That's the beauty of a grey suit, and why it is recommended as the first suit to buy. In order of versatility, I would rank them Oxblood, Brown, Bourbon, Walnut, and Black.

If you're looking for your first nice dress shoe, you should think more about overall versatility than just one single outfit. However, I do tend to tie my shoes into my whole outfit (shirt, tie, etc). If I were wearing reds, pinks, purples, etc then I would wear Oxblood (which just happens to be the most versatile). When I'm wearing browns and lighter blues, I wear brown shoes. If I'm wearing a black, grey or silver tie, I occasionally (rarely) wear black shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I am thinking of picking up a pair of shoes during the AE tent sale.
    Mora in Bourbon http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100
    Warwick in walnut http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100
    Norwich in brown http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100

Anyone think that one is more versatile than another?
    I wear khakis/chinos for work and the occasional suit (half dozen times per year maybe)
    I would like a pair that can be dressed down with jeans as well as dressed up with chinos/wool dress pants/ suits

Thanks