Page 101 of 222 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2214

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I typically wear dark brown wingtips with my navy blue suit, but my wingtips absolutely fell apart this winter and I think they are beyond saving at this point. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday night. My options for shoes to pair with the dark navy suit are walnut strands or black wingtips. I really hate wearing navy with black shoes even though I know it's a safe choice. I'd strongly prefer the walnut strands, but will I look like a jackass? It's a fairly dark navy, otherwise I'd have no issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boys Husky View Post
    I typically wear dark brown wingtips with my navy blue suit, but my wingtips absolutely fell apart this winter and I think they are beyond saving at this point. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday night. My options for shoes to pair with the dark navy suit are walnut strands or black wingtips. I really hate wearing navy with black shoes even though I know it's a safe choice. I'd strongly prefer the walnut strands, but will I look like a jackass? It's a fairly dark navy, otherwise I'd have no issue.
    Unless it's a very formal wedding, I think the walnut Strands would be far preferable. You worry about the degree of color contrast?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Consider the vans class in cream with a navy stripe and the vans classic in cream with a black stripe (think JCrew). Assume that both shoes have the same shoe laces, both white, or both taslan.

Which one is more versitile?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Unless it's a very formal wedding, I think the walnut Strands would be far preferable. You worry about the degree of color contrast?
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking the contrast will be fairly stark. I just don't want it to be too over-the-top. I'm sure it will be fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking the contrast will be fairly stark. I just don't want it to be too over-the-top. I'm sure it will be fine.
    Could you post photos of the suit next to each pair of shoes?

If you hadn't just missed the sale, I'd say this was an opportunity to pick up a pair of bourbon or brown (or maybe chili, merlot or oxblood) Strands or McAllisters, so as to avoid the dilemma! ;-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Could you post photos of the suit next to each pair of shoes?

If you hadn't just missed the sale, I'd say this was an opportunity to pick up a pair of bourbon or brown (or maybe chili, merlot or oxblood) Strands or McAllisters, so as to avoid the dilemma! ;-)
    I can't post a photo now since I'm traveling. I actually looked into getting a bourbon pair of Kenilworth seconds. I emailed the AE store and asked if the color matched and the guy told me flat out, "these are pretty bad." I thought his honesty was the greatest thing I've ever heard from a customer service person.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I can't post a photo now since I'm traveling. I actually looked into getting a bourbon pair of Kenilworth seconds. I emailed the AE store and asked if the color matched and the guy told me flat out, "these are pretty bad." I thought his honesty was the greatest thing I've ever heard from a customer service person.
    That is good. I really appreciate it when sales associates do that. When I was shopping for my wedding suit and matching attire recently, the honesty of the sales associates at SuitSupply - who urged me not to buy a Sienna that I was considering but that they said didn't work well with my posture, and suggested instead a significantly cheaper Lazio that I ended up picking up - definitely played a part in my decision to go with them rather than J.Crew or Banana Republic. (The suit was nicer, too, of course!)

On another note, I'm not sure that a bourbon Kenilworth would go with a dark navy suit any better than walnut Strands. Although the color contrast would be slightly less, the Strand's a more formal design than the Kenilworth, and the formality of the design might make it more appropriate even despite the color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Heel taps. A cobler (or yourself) can put them on. Cost me like $6 to get some put on. Feels weird in the beginning as most of the time they are plastic but it helps with wear.
    Perfect, thanks! I knew there was something like this, but just wasn't coming up with the right term.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Crease on no crease? What's the best style practice for pants these days especially tweed or other more textured materials, and chinos or cotton pants?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    I wear cotton pants in the office so I go crease on some pairs. Chinos no crease. Heavier textured fabrics I try to keep a crease but sometimes it is tough with wool flannel.