Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ralph Lauren Purple Label (RLPL) Dress Shirt Lot. 4 Total!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    How many blue shirts do you need?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    @Siepi - A staple food "is a food that is eaten routinely and in such quantities that it constitutes a dominant portion of a standard diet in a given population." I guess I fail to see how the word "staple" can be analogized to accurately describe a style of shirt that holds little or no appeal to people who don't frequently wear suits/jackets (which, by your assessment, is the majority of Dappered Threads commenters) and only holds limited, taste- and context-dependent appeal to those who do.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing where your problem is with my original assessment that "none of these are quite 'staple' shirts for most guys."

The word "staple" becomes entirely meaningless in this context if it simply means "whatever any given individual happens to wear frequently."

[Edit] And, for clarification, when I say "this context" I mean the general menswear context but also, more specifically, the context in which 1.) Surprise is expressed that there has not been more interest in this particular sales listing, particularly in light of the shirts being "staples," and 2.) By way of a possible explanation of the lack of interested buyers, I noted that each of the shirts has a feature or features that would probably exclude it from being considered a true "staple" by Dappered standards (French cuffs, cutaway collar, green color).
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; June 19th, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    @Siepi - A staple food "is a food that is eaten routinely and in such quantities that it constitutes a dominant portion of a standard diet in a given population." I guess I fail to see how the word "staple" can be analogized to accurately describe a style of shirt that holds little or no appeal to people who don't frequently wear suits/jackets (which, by your assessment, is the majority of Dappered Threads commenters) and only holds limited, taste- and context-dependent appeal to those who do.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing where your problem is with my original assessment that "none of these are quite 'staple' shirts for most guys."

The word "staple" becomes entirely meaningless in this context if it simply means "whatever any given individual happens to wear frequently."
    Alright, if we're going to go down this path and you're going to whip out Webster's on me, please define "most guys". Furthermore, even in Webster's dictionary it specifies "a given population", which allows lobster to be a staple food in Maine and rice to be a staple food in many Asian countries. Using that logic, we can separate suit-wearing and non-suit wearing men as if they were two separate populations. Given that, I will go bolder with my assertions than before - I think the two shirts are staples for the entirety of the suit-wearing population. I already laid out my argument for why they are - essentially, the same reasons why a barrel-cuffed blue shirt is, provided you keep your cuff links tasteful (I think the cufflinks should be considered separately from the shirt for the same reason laces and shoes can be considered separately - ruining the conservative look of black captoes because you added crazy technicolor laces does not reflect on the staple-ness of black captoes in general). While I've already agreed that French cuffs can look affected and incongruous with sport coats, I have not seen a situation where they did when the wearer was in a suit.

For the sake of transparency, I have another motive: I'm just trying to help @wsupjs sell his shirts. He's a good guy, and these are a great price for the quality. I would have scooped all of these up already if the arms were longer. I'm not sure whether they would have sold here had he not said it, but I remember being concerned when I tried to sell some chocolate suede half-brogue oxfords here a few months ago and @alan called them casual shoes, despite my efforts to market them as dress shoes (which they were). The threads gets a lot of newbies, and while that is great, sometimes they need help clarifying where on the dress/casual spectrum a garment falls or whether it is versatile - indeed, a staple. Newbies - if you wear suits often, the first two shirts are staples.

As an aside, this is the sort of conversation and respectful debate I think we need to have more often to keep the more veteran members (particularly the ones for which Dappered was a gateway to other resources) interested and engaged.
    Last edited by Siepi; June 19th, 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    Given that, I will go bolder with my assertions than before - I think the two shirts are staples for the entirety of the suit-wearing population.
    As a card-carrying member of "the suit-wearing population," I will respectfully disagree and leave the conversation at that.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

The name Ralph Lauren is well known. What's not as well known are the tiers of its various sub-brands. For example, Polo Ralph Lauren is relatively well-known because it is priced around J.Crew et al and is therefore somewhat accessible, especially at sale and clearance prices.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label is a horse of a different color. Their shirts cost as much as most of us are willing to spend on a full suit. A lot of Dappered readers aren't familiar with that fact and therefore don't understand what value there is in buying 3 used RLPL shirts + 1 PRL shirt for the same price as new CT shirts.
    This. It is getting tough to decipher the quality tiers of a lot of the designers now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    This is copied, but I thought it might be of value to some.

"THE RALPH LAUREN LABELS

(in roughly descending levels of 'prestige'; there may be considerable overlap)

1. RLPL
    = Ralph Lauren purple label
    The top Ralph Lauren label, and by far the most expensive. A slightly schizophrenic line with some items being tailored versions of classic styles, and other items having a more whimsical nature. Superlative materials, superlative construction. Apparently, OTR RLPL suits are no longer made as a shift to pure MTM suits occurs.

2. RLBL
    = Ralph Lauren black label
    The most 'modern' of the Ralph Lauren lines, with a slimmer 'modern' cut and silhouette. The second-most prestigious Ralph Lauren label, with prices higher than PRL, but still less than RLPL.

3. Ralph Ralph Lauren, or 'Double RL'
    A line with heavy western- and vintage-themed items (inspired by Ralph Lauren's ranch!), contains items of mostly excellent quality. The styling of this line is for the large part extremely distinctive, and may not be everyone's cup of tea.

4. PRL
    = Polo Ralph Lauren = Ralph Lauren blue label
    Ralph Lauren as most of us know it. A real mixed bag when it comes to quality, ranging from superb made in Italy pieces to absolutely terrible stuff made elsewhere. The styling is classic and the fit is baggier, with modern twists (e.g. neon colours, etc) thrown in. Value varies likewise. One may occasionally run into pieces from a (now discontinued) Italian-made line known as 'Signature Line' (Corneliani construction, apparently on par with RLBL/RLPL construction), with a higher armholes and slimmer fit than PRL as well.

5. Rugby
    Youth-oriented line, apparently aimed at college students. The focus is on style, and a slightly 'fashion forward' interpretation of classic Trad staples. Quality overlaps heavily with PRL, but the quality of the Italy-made PRL always >> Rugby.

6. RLX
    Slightly difficult to classify in this lineup, a sports/performance line of clothing. Quality apparently varies from good to average.

7. Lauren by Ralph Lauren (LRL, sometimes known as green label)
    Ralph Lauren lost control of the ownership of this brand name to the Jones New York Apparel Group in a court battle. Contains clothing of almost-invariably inferior quality manufactured specifically for discount outlets and lower-end departmental stores. Do not confuse LRL with a 'real' Ralph Lauren product! Has a 'silver label' line with a slimmer cut, but the same poor quality - yum!

8. Chaps (Ralph Lauren)
    Has a story similar to Lauren by Ralph Lauren, a brand that has been spun off from the Ralph Lauren umbrella and contains items that, incredibly, are of even lower quality than LRL. Now beginning to be known as 'Chaps' alone.

SUITS, COATS & JACKETS

RRL 'Made in Italy' - at least some are made by Caruso

PRL 'Made in Italy' - Corneliani

RLBL 'Made in Italy' - Caruso (not Corneliani as some have incorrectly claimed)

RLBL 'Anthony' model:
    - Hand-ticked lapels & pockets
    - Hand-padded collars
    - Machine-made buttonholes
    - Full canvas construction
    - Moderate-strong shoulder padding
    - Slight-moderate rope
    - Strongly tapered fit (drop 7)
    - No faux buttonhole stitching on cuffs, no surgeon's cuff
    - Dyed horn buttons

RLPL 'Made in Italy' - mostly St. Andrews, some by Caruso (these have a slimmer cut) and Cantarelli (the parent company of St. Andrews)

SHOES

PRL with 'Ralph Lauren' in script, followed by "Made In England" - Edward Green
    PRL with 'Ralph Lauren' in block letters, followed by "Made in England" - Crockett & Jones
    PRL with 'Ralph Lauren', followed by "Benchmade in England" - Crockett & Jones, or Alfred Sargent (look for a double row of nails on the heel)
    PRL with 'Ralph Lauren' in block letters (made in Italy) - Sesto Meucci (source: RL customer service hotline), some are also Sutor Mantellassi (lower line, not handmade line)

RLBL - Crockett & Jones

RLPL 'Made in England' - Edward Green
    RLPL 'Made in Italy' - ???"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    @Siepi I appreciate the vouch and push for these shirts to sell. However, it's clear that you and @LesserBlackDog have slightly different definitions on what is a "staple" item, and that's perfectly acceptable. You can debate them elsewhere, just please refrain from doing it any more in my listing. Whether or not they are "staples" can be debated, but all four shirts are solid (no patterns) in versatile colors, and are made from high quality material.

@Shade, thank you very much for posting the descriptions for Ralph Lauren. I was actually going to post the same thing if the debate drug out much longer. From my personal experience, the gap between RLPL and RLBL is substantial. Black Label, Double R, and Blue Label generally have about the same quality, and the only thing that varies is the cut. This may be different for casual wear or accessories, but I'm speaking specifically about dress clothes.

@soporific88 , most guys that wear dress shirts frequently should have at least 3-4 blue dress shirts. I personally think they're the most versatile dress shirt, and you could have a dress shirt rotation that's exclusively blue or white shirts.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    @wsupjs You're welcome bro. Hopefully it helped some out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    I hope so @Shade. As of now, they are still available.

Bump it up!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Here's an up close picture of the Ralph Lauren Blue Label shirt that gives a better representation of the color and the end-on-end fabric.

For those of you not familiar with the fabric type, here's some info:

http://propercloth.com/reference/dress-shirt-fabrics/