Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Ralph Lauren Purple Label (RLPL) Dress Shirt Lot. 4 Total!

  1. #11
    Super Moderator bjmcgeever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    I'd be all over these if they were my size.

  2. #12
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,587
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)
    To be fair, none of these are quite "staple" shirts for most guys - two French cuffs, one severely cut-away collar, and one light green stripe.
    Ben

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,465
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    True. Great shirts, though, for anyone who wants to go beyond the staples.

  4. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,736
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    I kind of get the feeling that folks here are not all that familiar with PRL. I don't see that brand referred to by many people here, surprisingly, and yet it is often a great brand.
    yeah, I had to do some googling to really understand the value.

  5. #15
    Varsity Member Siepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    If you wear suits a lot (not that most of Dappered does), I think the first two would definitely be staples. I haven't seen him post here in quite a while, but Shadow was always maniacal about the width-of-shirt-cuff to the width-of-suit-cuff ratio, and as such, he constantly espoused the merits of French cuffs. So while they are probably too formal for Dappered, I would think these would go in an instant on CM B&S on Styleforum (where most people, to Duvel's point, recognize the quality of RLPL and PRL).

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,465
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    I find that surprising. I thought PRL was as at least as well known as J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, et al.

    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    yeah, I had to do some googling to really understand the value.

  7. #17
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,587
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    If you wear suits a lot (not that most of Dappered does), I think the first two would definitely be staples. I haven't seen him post here in quite a while, but Shadow was always maniacal about the width-of-shirt-cuff to the width-of-suit-cuff ratio, and as such, he constantly espoused the merits of French cuffs. So while they are probably too formal for Dappered, I would think these would go in an instant on CM B&S on Styleforum.
    Wearing suits regularly and liking French cuffs don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I wear jacket/tie, including suits, on a semi regular basis (usually 2-3 times a week) and don't own a single French cuff shirt (I got rid of the two that I did own because I never wore them). Not only do I find them a pain in the butt, but in some contexts they can come across as overly flashy and pretentious.

    Not saying French cuffs can't be worn or that they don't have their merits... just saying, I'm not sure it's fair to blame Dappered general disinterest in French cuffs on the supposed fact that most of us don't wear suits often enough to appreciate them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    I find that surprising. I thought PRL was as at least as well known as J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, et al.
    The name Ralph Lauren is well known. What's not as well known are the tiers of its various sub-brands. For example, Polo Ralph Lauren is relatively well-known because it is priced around J.Crew et al and is therefore somewhat accessible, especially at sale and clearance prices.

    Ralph Lauren Purple Label is a horse of a different color. Their shirts cost as much as most of us are willing to spend on a full suit. A lot of Dappered readers aren't familiar with that fact and therefore don't understand what value there is in buying 3 used RLPL shirts + 1 PRL shirt for the same price as new CT shirts.
    Ben

  8. #18
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,736
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1132 Post(s)
    I am not a huge fan but would like to have one shirt with them eventually. I have small wrists so I think they look funny on me sometimes.

  9. #19
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,575
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    To be fair, none of these are quite "staple" shirts for most guys - two French cuffs, one severely cut-away collar, and one light green stripe.
    The light green is a solid, no stripes. It looks like my shitty camera caused the end on end fabric to look like stripes, but I'll try to get a better picture asap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    True. Great shirts, though, for anyone who wants to go beyond the staples.
    Agreed. I would definitely argue to first two RLPL are definitely staples. The light green PRL fringes on staple due to the color, but is semi-spread, button cuff, and slim fit. The cutaway is a little different, but I love the style of cutaways. They fit my face better than other collars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    If you wear suits a lot (not that most of Dappered does), I think the first two would definitely be staples. I haven't seen him post here in quite a while, but Shadow was always maniacal about the width-of-shirt-cuff to the width-of-suit-cuff ratio, and as such, he constantly espoused the merits of French cuffs. So while they are probably too formal for Dappered, I would think these would go in an instant on CM B&S on Styleforum (where most people, to Duvel's point, recognize the quality of RLPL and PRL).
    Absolutely. If anyone is concerned about the french cuffs or don't have any links, I'll throw in a couple pairs of silk knots with the lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label is a horse of a different color. Their shirts cost as much as most of us are willing to spend on a full suit. A lot of Dappered readers aren't familiar with that fact and therefore don't understand what value there is in buying 3 used RLPL shirts + 1 PRL shirt for the same price as new CT shirts.
    That's a great point. RLPL shirts retail for $300ish each, and are probably one of the best 4-5 brands of RTW shirts that are available today.

  10. #20
    Varsity Member Siepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Wearing suits regularly and liking French cuffs don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I wear jacket/tie, including suits, on a semi regular basis (usually 2-3 times a week) and don't own a single French cuff shirt (I got rid of the two that I did own because I never wore them). Not only do I find them a pain in the butt, but in some contexts they can come across as overly flashy and pretentious.

    Not saying French cuffs can't be worn or that they don't have their merits... just saying, I'm not sure it's fair to blame Dappered general disinterest in French cuffs on the supposed fact that most of us don't wear suits often enough to appreciate them.
    You're taking my comment out of context. I said Shadow loved French cuffs, and if he were still as active as he once was, I'm sure he would be championing these shirts right now. Furthermore, I don't know that it's fair to say that Dappered has a general disinterest in French cuffs when I've only seen you express distaste for them (and I guess @idvsego to some extent, but he did say he wanted one eventually). Of course French cuff shirts aren't going to be a staple (or even of interest) to somebody who doesn't wear a suit or SCs often (and I will agree that they can look affected even then sometimes, particularly with SCs), which is why I brought up that point. But if somebody wears a coat and tie often, they could be staples for that person, provided they like the way they look. French cuffs or no, the shirts still have all of the components of a staple blue shirt - widely-complementary color palette, easy to match with ties and suits/SCs of many colors, and relatively conservative collars. In fact, as long as your cuff links are understated (which is where I think most of the pretentiousness from some French cuff combinations comes), I don't see how this shirt would be any less of a staple than a barrel-cuffed shirt.

    To be clear, I was just trying to rebut your argument that none of @wsupjs' shirts were staples when it seems that part of that argument was rooted in your personal distaste for French cuffs, which implies only that they're not staples for you. I was not saying that somebody who wears a suit must like French cuffs; if somebody doesn't wear suits, however, I don't think they'll appreciate them, as you correctly paraphrased.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •