Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Monks and Shorts?

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2142 Post(s)
    I can see why some people might think shorts with monk straps are acceptable. After all, wearing shorts with other loafers (drivers, venetians, boat shoes, pennies, etc) is fairly common.

Personally, though, even though the monk strap is technically a loafer and on the casual end of the dress shoe spectrum, they are still too formal to wear with shorts. IMO shorts are purely "sports wear" and thus any shoe that is not a sports shoe, or derived from a sports shoe (sneakers, boat shoes, sandals, drivers, etc), is incongruous.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Such a classy look. (Sarcasm intended.)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    monks would look pretty good with a linen / cotton suit like the JC one. make the look extremely casual and its fine IMO, no tie, no belt, impeccable fit, casual button up shirt. But I'm a risk taker.
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMan View Post
    monks would look pretty good with a linen / cotton suit like the JC one. make the look extremely casual and its fine IMO, no tie, no belt, impeccable fit, casual button up shirt. But I'm a risk taker.
    Agreed, especially a printed short sleeve.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshackleford View Post
    I kinda like the cotton one, but the rest don't make any sense. I could see wearing it in a more casual setting/creative job that requires a suit.
    But it's not a suit...it's a little boy school uniform from the 1800s. Yeah, on this I'm opinionated...lol.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Short suits are fine for very warm climates. Bermuda comes to mind.

And that is it. Suede double monks maybe if you have a certain swagger to you. I wear suede wingtips with shorts but it needs to follow the rest of the outfit.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMan View Post
    I love monk straps. They are my go-to shoes on most days, especially since I travel. They look good, and they're like stylish versions of loafers.

However, no socks? That bugs me to no end. Unless you're wearing boat shoes or (some) type of really casual loafer, going without socks is just disgusting. I see that and don't think it's stylish - I just think your feet smell.

And wearing no belt on pants with belt loops? Nope. If it's bespoke, knock yourself out. Otherwise, you just look like someone who forgot to wear a belt.

Why yes, I'm a judgmental prick.

Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
    But it's not a suit...it's a little boy school uniform from the 1800s. Yeah, on this I'm opinionated...lol.
    I lol'd.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    However, no socks? That bugs me to no end. Unless you're wearing boat shoes or (some) type of really casual loafer, going without socks is just disgusting. I see that and don't think it's stylish - I just think your feet smell.
    I go two routes. I have about 10 pairs of loafer socks that you absolutely can't see when I'm wearing them and I have terry cloth insoles that absorb the foot sweat. I only go legit sock-less with boat shoes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)

I don't know why you assume everyone's feet smell as much as yours (presumably this is where you are getting the basis of your idea from). My feet actually rarely sweat (and neither do i generally). I go sockless year round regardless of type of shoe. My feet just don't stink...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Double Monks and Shorts?

I love monk straps. They are my go-to shoes on most days, especially since I travel. They look good, and they're like stylish versions of loafers.

And wearing no belt on pants with belt loops? Nope. If it's bespoke, knock yourself out. Otherwise, you just look like someone who forgot to wear a belt.

Why yes, I'm a judgmental prick.

I lol'd.
    Lol. To each their own I suppose. Everyone is judged to some degree so I don't mind it. I go sock less pretty much all through the summer and non of my shoes smell. Again everyone doesn't fall into that box either. I Don't get your bespoke comment; you implying if the trousers are bespoke and have loops it's ok to go belt less?
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I