Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating between Joseph Abboud, Bar III, or maybe something else? (Photos)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Debating between Joseph Abboud, Bar III, or maybe something else? (Photos)

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm following procedure... I'm in the market for a new suit and currently debating between a couple.

First, some details:
    I'm 22 and don't have have too many occasions to wear a suit. That said, this is likely the only suit I'll own for the next decade. I'm just looking for something classic that I can wear for a wide variety of formal occasions. My budget is in the $250-500 range. I'm probably a 38L or 39L slim (or extra slim) fit.

I think it's pretty much down to these two... (although if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.)

(Note that the pants in all photos are my current pants—not the ones that come with the suit.)

Option 1
    Store: Men's Warehouse
    Brand: Joseph Abboud
    Material: 100% wool
    Price: $480

Buttoned:

Close up:

Option 2
    Store: Macy's
    Brand: Bar III
    Material: 100% wool
    Price: $300

Buttoned (This is navy, but that's just because it was the only 38L they had in stock. I'd be getting this size but in the dark charcoal color below.)

Close up (this is the right color, just the wrong size):

My thoughts:

1. I think the Abboud looks a bit crisper/sleaker while the Bar III might be a bit puffy.

2. One thing I like about the Bar III is that, because these are both pretty snug fits, if I were to bulk up much in the next decade, they might not fit any more (i.e. $300 might be a wiser investment).

3. I'm on the border between a 38 and 40, but I'm wearing a 38 in these pics. It's maybe a bit snug, but probably fine.

4. Everyone sales guy has said I'm a long (that's the size I'm wearing in these pics), but I've been told by a friend to ditch the long and go with a regular. I feel like the suit/sleeve lengths both look pretty good, though, no?

Anyways, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    @wien116, Welcome! Both suits would be appropriate for everything from funerals to offices. The Abboud is a nicer suit, but for $480 you should really look at SuitSupply.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input. So you're saying that either of these...

NAPOLI ANTRA PLAIN http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...sc&prefv1=Wool

NAPOLI GREY FAUX-UNI http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...sc&prefv1=Wool

...would be a better choice?

My only concern is that I'm a very slim fit, and it doesn't appear that those suits come in "slim fit."

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    They don't need to, basically all of Suit Supply's stuff runs extremely slim. Look at the measurements on the size advisor (especially for the Napoli, the shoulders run rather large).

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wien116 View Post
    My only concern is that I'm a very slim fit, and it doesn't appear that those suits come in "slim fit."
    As @Siepi said, all of SuitSupply's suits are slim fitting.

The Napoli shoulders are a bit large. I wear a 38R in a Napoli jacket, and a 40R in other brands.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Gotcha. Well if the Napoli shoulders run a bit large, then 38 is probably ideal for me.

So you guys seem to think the Napoli is a better quality suit than the Joseph Abboud? If that's the case, then I'll order one online and see how it fits.

Any thoughts on the Antra Plain http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...sc&prefv1=Wool vs. Grey Faux-Uni http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...sc&prefv1=Wool ?

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    I've been looking at Brooks Brothers lately for this kind of thing. A little pricier but not awful, and definitely classic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Options 1 and 2 are too tight around the stomach as you get the X, while option 1 seems to fit you better around the shoulders than option 1.

Either one will require some tailoring which is the norm with OTR suits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    @wasabi, which do you think fits better at the shoulders—Option 1 (Joseph Abboud) or Option 2 (Bar III)?

I'm deciding between the Joseph Abboud and Suitsupply. Most seem to say the Suitsupply is a far superior suit, but the issue is that the only one they have in my price range that comes in dark grey / black (the Napoli) is their widest fitting suit... It's still described as "slim," but I'm an extreme slim. Think it's worth having it taken in?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    @Siepi @bruschetta

I'm deciding between the Joseph Abboud and Suitsupply Napoli. The consensus seems to be that Suitsupply is of far superior quality, but the issue is that the only suit they have in my price range that comes in dark grey / black (the Napoli) is their widest fitting suit... All Suitsupply suits are described as "slim," but when I tried on the Joseph Abboud, I was an extreme slim. Think it's worth ordering the Napoli and having it taken in? I'm just concerned the fit might look awkward.