Thread: Jack Erwin Ernie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Jack Erwin Ernie

Hi guys,

I was considering picking up the Jack Erwin Ernie (http://www.jackerwin.com/products/er...rk-brown-suede) in the brown color as a casual shoe. Just wanted to see if anyone had an in person review of the shoes before I picked them up (I know they have free shipping and returns, but I'm trying to cut down on my use of that).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    No experience with these, but I do have experience with drivers.

In the past I would buy myself a new pair of boat shoes each Spring to wear during the warmer seasons. Last year I decided to switch it up and go with a penny loafer style driver. They were not very durable compared to previous Sperrys I bought. They only lasted through mid-July.

Point being drivers, in my opinion aren't the most durable shoes, especially at this price point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post

In the past I would buy myself a new pair of boat shoes each Spring to wear during the warmer seasons. Last year I decided to switch it up and go with a penny loafer style driver. They were not very durable compared to previous Sperrys I bought. They only lasted through mid-July.

Point being drivers, in my opinion aren't the most durable shoes, especially at this price point.

Thanks for the reply. I prefer the looks of loafers or driving shoes to boat shoes, but I was definitely hope to keep it for a couple of years. Might end up trying for camp mocs or something different then.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    I concur, drivers tend to wear out fast. Probably because they were made for driving and not walking... Oh well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post

You go through a pair of boat shoes per summer? Were you wearing them out or just liked picking up a fresh pair each year.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKNumber3 View Post
    You go through a pair of boat shoes per summer? Were you wearing them out or just liked picking up a fresh pair each year.
    I did blow through one pair of Sperrys in a season a few years ago, but otherwise I just liked getting a different pair each year.

Now I have some Aldens and will probably keep them for a while.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Ive had mine from J&M for a year and they are still going ok. Of course mine were like 40 with my employee discount from when I work there. I don't know if I would pay $95 for those though. Drivers are pretty comfortable, at least mine are.