Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Fat

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

Baby Fat

No, not the fat you've been carrying around for 30-40-50 years. I'm talking about the fat you gained after having a kid.

I noticed quite a few new Dad's on this forum and thought it would be nice to share tips and tricks on staying fit while juggling around a tiny human being.

For me, my girl is almost 2 years old now and I really let myself go the first year. Eating really bad and not being active at all. I've never really been lean, always had a little belly but this time around, it was bad that I finally decided to do something about it.

I ate better, cut out some things, ran a few miles and one year later needing nicer clothes because of how good I felt which is how I ended up on dappered.

We are finally planning for a second one and reverting back is definitely in the back of my mind.

One specific topic I'll throw out right away is exercise. When do you guys do it? For me, it's just running and I found that my running schedule was in line with her sleeping/napping. It was great when she still had a morning nap around 10. I would eat a lite breakfast knowing I would run. Going during afternoon naps was harder as lunch just made running awful unless I really ate accordingly. Now I have been running at night, after putting her to bed around 9pm and so far it has been working out, still being conscious of how I eat during dinner.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    We usually go for a walk/run right after work. I have a one year old, and we just bring her along in the jogging stroller. She seems to enjoy the ride. The first 6 months or so it was difficult to get any exercise in with all the adjustments we had to make. Eating healthier is also easier now, because we want her to eat healthy foods as much as possible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Walking with the family might be a possibility again. About 4 months ago, she hated getting in her stroller, shopping carts, push-tricycle but last week has come around again.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    If you can't get out for a run it is better just to watch what you eat. You can't outrun a bad diet and most people don't realize that running will make them more hungry. People who follow some sort of meal tracker app tend to do better than those that just wing it but only if you are going to track everything and not leave off that cookie you had...

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Healthy diet play a good role to give healthy and fit body. so maintain healthy diet which provide good health.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Just a heads up: it gets tougher with the second kid. Switching to man-to-man defense makes it that much harder to find time, but the older kid playtime is more active, so that helps.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Argh! Having just had a kid, I have found myself letting go.

I was in great shape just a few months ago (in fact, spent the winter in Ouray, CO ice-climbing with a friend who died in the recent Mt. Rainier tragedy last week ).

My son was born in February, and I switched jobs in April. It's barely been five months, but I have gained a lot more weight than I'd planned on -- I went from 135 to 148 lbs.

The past few months have been really *really* bad and I've found it incredibly hard to stay in shape. Especially because it is hard to find the energy to go climb for 6 hours after staying up all night and a grueling day at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    If you can't get out for a run it is better just to watch what you eat. You can't outrun a bad diet and most people don't realize that running will make them more hungry. People who follow some sort of meal tracker app tend to do better than those that just wing it but only if you are going to track everything and not leave off that cookie you had...

Good luck!
    Without a doubt. I put the LoseIt app to use at the beginning of last year, and was able to drop about 35 pounds that had crept on over the past several years (although, it's not from babies... at least of my own). It's been a year since I hit my goal weight, and since then, have put about 5 - 7 of those pounds back on, but I've not logged my intake at all during that time (other than eating more like I did during the weight loss, and less like I did before).

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Argh! Having just had a kid, I have found myself letting go.

I was in great shape just a few months ago (in fact, spent the winter in Ouray, CO ice-climbing with a friend who died in the recent Mt. Rainier tragedy last week ).

My son was born in February, and I switched jobs in April. It's barely been five months, but I have gained a lot more weight than I'd planned on -- I went from 135 to 148 lbs.

The past few months have been really *really* bad and I've found it incredibly hard to stay in shape. Especially because it is hard to find the energy to go climb for 6 hours after staying up all night and a grueling day at work.
    As much as you love climbing, it sounds like you'll need another path to work out that doesn't involve six hour blocks of your day. I can imagine how difficult it would be even *without* a child, much less a newborn...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    As much as you love climbing, it sounds like you'll need another path to work out that doesn't involve six hour blocks of your day. I can imagine how difficult it would be even *without* a child, much less a newborn...
    I mean, it doesn't have to be six hours, but climbing isn't an activity that's exactly quick (I suppose I could go boulder for an hour and come back).

Also, the other aspect is that I would climb regularly on the weekends. Get out early Saturday morning and climb all day, and drive back. And during that one day of hiking, camping, and climbing, you've probably burned at least 5,000 calories, if not more. Add another day of climbing indoors during the week, and you're solidly in calorie deficit zone for the rest of the week. As long as you eat reasonably healthy and get enough protein, you're good to go.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    Ironically, I lost a lot of weight when I had my first kid just because I wasn't able to do as much drinking and had previously been a big beer drinker. The first 8-10 months are tough but force yourself to get back into the routine as soon as possible.