Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Fat

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manceptional View Post
    Ironically, I lost a lot of weight when I had my first kid just because I wasn't able to do as much drinking and had previously been a big beer drinker. The first 8-10 months are tough but force yourself to get back into the routine as soon as possible.
    Eh, I find that I end up drinking a lot more at home. Especially on the weekends. My wife and I just sit down and open a bottle of wine, and she stops after a glass because she has to breastfeed, so I finish the rest of the bottle.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    I get that, believe me, been putting a huge dent in the nation's bourbon supply but I find that to be much less calorically than all of the IPAs I was drinking.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manceptional View Post
    I get that, believe me, been putting a huge dent in the nation's bourbon supply but I find that to be much less calorically than all of the IPAs I was drinking.
    I was never a big beer drinker. I used to be a big fan of Guinness in college, but after a bad experience involving Irish car bombs, I stopped drinking Guinness and switched to wheat beer.

These days, I enjoy a good Blue Moon or a Shock Top (or any other Hefeweizen) on occasion after a good climb (yup), but that's about it.

But gin and wine? Sign me up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Yup, happy hours went to nil with the baby so saved a lot of money there but not fat... but it just went to online clothes shopping eventually.

My wife and I use to do indoor rock climbing years ago and my 22 month old looks like a natural on the playground rock climbing wall. Seriously impressive. I'm excited to sign us up as a family at our local gym.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Kids have two advantages - low body weight to muscle ratio and they can use footholds as handholds. Unfair I tell you! Unfair!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I've resorted to working out at night usually around 9pm. It completely blows as I'm dead tired from a full days work + dealing with the kids when I get home, but I just power through and not push myself too hard on the days I have zero energy. It also forces me to eat less when I get home for dinner so that I'm not blowing chunks on the treadmill, and since I have set days I have to be selective about drinking at home, the occasional happy hour, etc. I do about 20 min of cardio + and 30 of lifting 2-3 times a day and feeling decently trim and fit. I've kept this schedule for a year and a half. Working on our third so we'll see if and how I'm able to maintain it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    doing a great job @lifeinabox!

I never ate breakfast before but have been at my desk at work and I think it has been great for my diet. It really does set you up to not gorge out during lunch. I will either have boiled egg, cheese or instant oatmeal.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    It is all about the diet. Exercise is important, too, of course, but diet is critical. After our second child, my wife really put on the weight, and it was from some kind of sugar craving that she'd gained during her second pregnancy. For months after the birth, she had me running to the store just about every other night for a fresh half gallon of chocolate chocolate chip ice cream or a great big hershey's candy bar. I started going down that path too until I snapped out of it. She ended up at something like 300-plus pounds before finally getting gastric bypass surgery. Unfortunately, all of this put a great strain on our marriage, and we ended up divorced.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpb View Post
    doing a great job @lifeinabox!

I never ate breakfast before but have been at my desk at work and I think it has been great for my diet. It really does set you up to not gorge out during lunch. I will either have boiled egg, cheese or instant oatmeal.
    Thanks! I completely agree about breakfast. I do a morning fruit smoothie with flax seed and protein. Definitely helps even out my hunger for the day and gives me plenty of energy in the morning.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Stay the course, gents. And if your wife isn't with you on this, be careful, and don't be afraid to jump ship before the cargo becomes too heavy.

What helped me was being in the air force (my wife was not). Thus, to stay in compliance with air force standards, and due to the physical training I was used to, I was compelled for much of my early parenthood to stay under weight and fit.