Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Baby Fat

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    How are those weight goals going proud parents?
    No weight goals, but back on the wagon, and lifting every other day. My lifts are almost back to where they were, and all I need to do is bulk a little and go on a cut in a couple of months.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I didn't really exercise all that much before we had kids, but we moved a year ago, which allows me to bike to work every day. So 3 miles of leisurely riding each day and paying more attention to my diet resulted in me losing about 20 pounds. Then I started also doing some calisthenics (initially all sorts of stuff, now mostly just push-ups) to build muscle mass (not to bulk up, but to burn fat while resting) and I've lost another 10 or so pounds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    afternoon gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and just stumbled across this thread.

I have 4 children, 12, 9, 7 and 4. After the 4th arrived I finally said enough is enough and made some serious changes. I dropped 50 lbs over about 18 months. I had always been athletic so the workouts weren't difficult for me. It was the nutrition. It really is shocking how much the general public doesn't know about nutrition. The obesity epidemic doesn't surprise me at all when you consider modern food marketing and general ignorance to the way we're supposed to eat. Now that I'm more educated about proper nutrition it's much easier for me to maintain.

The top three things that worked best for me:
    1. Understanding that it's 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. You can't outwork a bad diet, especially guys like us with limited time. You have to eat well and exercise when you can.
    2. Regarding the exercise, intensity is more important than duration. I found that 30 minutes of interval training was easier to fit into my schedule, less boring and more effective at the same time than 1 hr. of steady state cardio. Same applies to strength training. I found lifting heavier with less reps to take less time and be more effective than lighter weights and higher repetitions.
    3. Let yourself cheat. I took my 3 favorite bad foods and let myself have them once a week. The sanity/reward factor go a long way to helping you stick to the plan over the long haul.

I'm interested to hear how everyone else is faring. Looking forward to checking back.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The top three things that worked best for me:
    1. Understanding that it's 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. You can't outwork a bad diet, especially guys like us with limited time. You have to eat well and exercise when you can.
    2. Regarding the exercise, intensity is more important than duration. I found that 30 minutes of interval training was easier to fit into my schedule, less boring and more effective at the same time than 1 hr. of steady state cardio. Same applies to strength training. I found lifting heavier with less reps to take less time and be more effective than lighter weights and higher repetitions.
    3. Let yourself cheat. I took my 3 favorite bad foods and let myself have them once a week. The sanity/reward factor go a long way to helping you stick to the plan over the long haul.
    Good points. #2 is supported by research published in a medical journal: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthf...weight_.5.aspx
    As for #3, I say everything in moderation. I still eat butter, drink beer, etc. but I have smaller quantities. Of course, I also avoid HFCS, sat fats, and sodium as much as possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aw82 View Post
    Good points. #2 is supported by research published in a medical journal: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthf...weight_.5.aspx
    As for #3, I say everything in moderation. I still eat butter, drink beer, etc. but I have smaller quantities. Of course, I also avoid HFCS, sat fats, and sodium as much as possible.
    Agreed. Balance, as my father liked say. No way I'm giving up beer! and bourbon, don't forget bourbon.

Regarding things like butter/margarine and sugar/hfcs/artificial sweeteners, I'm a firm believer that the caloric consequences of natural foods are far less of a problem than the synthetic side effects of chemically derived or based products.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Regarding things like butter/margarine and sugar/hfcs/artificial sweeteners, I'm a firm believer that the caloric consequences of natural foods are far less of a problem than the synthetic side effects of chemically derived or based products.
    Ditto. I'd rather live my life with maybe 2 or 3 extra pounds from avoiding synthetic alternatives than to deal with the unknown long term effects. But deep down, I believe the likes of butter are better for you than margarine.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    @JimL I am generally in agreement with most of what you say, but I will qualify your third point.

Cheating implies a diet, and to me, those are always temporary fixes. The long term solution is a permanent lifestyle change of eating healthy. I'm with @aw82 on this and will say that as long as you do it in moderation, you are fine. I just track what I eat and ensure that I stay within my caloric limits and limit sugar, carbs, and sodium while hitting my protein and fat goals. Been doing it for ~7+ years -- even when I had been eating poorly, I still tracked what I ate.

Well, once again, moderation. I'm not going to replace my sugar completely with Splenda, but I'll take it in my iced tea. I don't think things have to be binary or mutually exclusive.

Then again, I mostly prefer going vegetarian for that reason, because there's not a whole lot of additives you can add to raw kale.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    Ditto. I'd rather live my life with maybe 2 or 3 extra pounds from avoiding synthetic alternatives than to deal with the unknown long term effects. But deep down, I believe the likes of butter are better for you than margarine.

Extremely true
    http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6340
    I also have a living example as well, my dad is a large fellow, 6'1 260lbs grew up on a farm, so LOTS of meat and dairy, along with potatoes and veggies type diet. Also hunted and ate wild game. Had an Angiogram done due to an enlarged heart/low BP. Result was along the lines of the Dr. saying they were the cleanest arteries he's seen.

And anyone that's worried about calories or wants to occasionally pig out, go check out some of the body builders cheat days.

Eg. Low carb for a week and then have 1 day of GLORY...Pizzas etc. I've tried a bit of that myself and definitely notice a metabolism spike.

Edit: GRASS FED BEEF is a Must, better omega 3 profile, far less omega 6's<---why margarine isn't good for you IMO
    Last edited by shad0w4life; August 14th, 2014 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    It's easier to do something like IIFYM - if it fits your macros.

Eat whatever you want as long as your macros are good on a weekly basis. Avoids the weekly binge, and easier to make a lifestyle change.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    @JimL I am generally in agreement with most of what you say, but I will qualify your third point.

Cheating implies a diet, and to me, those are always temporary fixes. The long term solution is a permanent lifestyle change of eating healthy. I'm with @aw82 on this and will say that as long as you do it in moderation, you are fine. I just track what I eat and ensure that I stay within my caloric limits and limit sugar, carbs, and sodium while hitting my protein and fat goals. Been doing it for ~7+ years -- even when I had been eating poorly, I still tracked what I ate.

Well, once again, moderation. I'm not going to replace my sugar completely with Splenda, but I'll take it in my iced tea. I don't think things have to be binary or mutually exclusive.

Then again, I mostly prefer going vegetarian for that reason, because there's not a whole lot of additives you can add to raw kale.
    I can see how "cheating" could insinuate "diet" and I agree wholeheartedly that "diets" are not the answer. I considered all of the changes I made to be permanent lifestyle changes. But that said I came at it from the perspective of shooting for an ideal nutrition plan the majority of the time, which is difficult, even after 4 years of it now. So looking at the items that don't fall within the realm of "ideal" as rewards for sticking to the plan provides some incentive for me.

Again, I completely agree with moderation/balance, but for me that doesn't apply to things like chemically based artificial sweeteners. They're bad for you in a very different way than sugar is bad for you. No redeeming qualities in my eyes. I'll just take the sugar thanks.

And Kale, ugh, that's one I still have to force myself to work in. Haven't learned to enjoy it yet.