Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dress Socks & Boxers Recommendations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Dress Socks & Boxers Recommendations

Kind of a different topic, but I am in serious need of updating my dress socks and boxer collections. I have yet to find a brand of socks that I would like to build my drawer around... and I was just considering going to J.Crew to take care of the boxers. Looking for something that is comfortable, can go through many washings, and doesn't cost $20+ for each item. What do you guys wear/what are your recommended brands? Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    They're pricy, but I love my Mack Weldon socks. I'm starting to transition to boxer briefs, but the majority of my boxers are from Gap and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Also - I was thinking about trying Nice Laundry or Brooklyn Socks for dress socks. Anybody have any experience with these? I would probably opt for the more conservative styles..

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Johnson and Murphy executive length (over thigh) socks. 6 pairs were $40 at their outlet.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    I prefer knit boxers and often buy them from either Target (usually Hanes) or Gap. The same goes for my v-neck tees.

As far as socks go, I just pick them up at TJ Maxx on sale, and once in a while, whatever's available at Target.

There are some things I'd sweat over. But boxers, tees, and socks? Not particularly. I just go for whatever is simple, easy, cheap, and convenient.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy127 View Post
    They're pricy, but I love my Mack Weldon socks. I'm starting to transition to boxer briefs, but the majority of my boxers are from Gap and I have no complaints whatsoever.
    It's too bad they seem to only have colors right now. I'm looking to restock my basic dress socks (navy, grey, etc.) and wouldn't mind trying MW out. I am a recent convert to their boxer briefs (from Flint & Tinder, who never had anything in stock), and so far I've appreciated the quality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Merino wool socks and boxer briefs? Yes, merino wool socks and boxer briefs. Especially good for traveling as you can wear them, wash them by hand, and they'll be dry by morning. Merino wool doesn't hold odor - e.g., I don't think my shoes don't smell bad at the end of the day when wearing merino wool. Pantherella socks from Sierra Trading Post are reasonable with the regular discounts you can find on STP. It is harder to find colorful patterns, though I have heard Johnson and Murphy has some (wool blend).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I prefer knit boxers and often buy them from either Target (usually Hanes) or Gap. The same goes for my v-neck tees.

As far as socks go, I just pick them up at TJ Maxx on sale, and once in a while, whatever's available at Target.

There are some things I'd sweat over. But boxers, tees, and socks? Not particularly. I just go for whatever is simple, easy, cheap, and convenient.
    Underwear is like the seats in the car. No one sees them from the outside, but you have to ride in them for the life of the car. I like my seats to be as comfortable as possible (taking into account cost). Just a thought, not a criticism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have never worn a pair of boxer briefs in my life and am thinking I may need to give them a shot...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post
    Underwear is like the seats in the car. No one sees them from the outside, but you have to ride in them for the life of the car. I like my seats to be as comfortable as possible (taking into account cost). Just a thought, not a criticism.
    Of course. But you are implying that you cannot get comfortable underwear at lower price points, and that I dispute.

A lot of the overhead costs come from branding and markup, and a good quality knit boxer from Hanes is unlikely to be that different from, say, Calvin Klein. That is not to say I have not tried more expensive options - I have, and came to the realization there really isn't a significant gap in quality, if any at all.

In fact, I would say that it's quite the opposite. My Hanes knit boxers feel much more soft and comfortable after a few washes than some of my pricier underwear forays.