Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a suit! help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I need a suit! help!

im 24 years old, suits dont fit me . last suit i bought was a 42L hugo boss suit because it was the only brand that had a 42L jacket that had sleeves long enough for my arms. im a slim 6'1" with broad shoulders and a thin 33" waist. Pants aren't the problem (if i can buy seperates), the jacket is!

Putting the jacket on now, the sleeve lengths are pretty good! the shoulders are a bit small. the jacket is long though, comes to the bottom of my butt - doesn't look right to me. it is super wide as well. i think the chest is too small! the jacket doesn't rest flat on my chest it bows out...i should of never bought it, blame my sister

i know a bespoke suit is the only thing that will fit me "right" but they are expensive and i dont make enough/have to wear one enough to justify the price. im looking for good enough right now

what do you think my best bet would be for brands to try on, or does it not matter? i need a suit for two formal events next month and just found out not wearing a jacket isn't going to cut it. i want to spend enough to get a suit people are going to feel and say is "nice", does that make sense?

thanks!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    The jacket coming to the bottom of your butt is correct, especially for a suit. The chest is definitely too small if the lapels are bowing out. Get a tape measure and have somebody measure you - shoulder to shoulder, pit to pit, shoulder to wrist, neck to bottom of butt. Come back with those measurements, and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thinking that you have to go the bespoke route to get a good fitting suit isn't accurate - that's why there are tailors.

You want to find a suit jacket that fits your shoulders, first and foremost, as the shoulders are terribly difficult to adjust. Everything else can be shortened up to fit.

Try on various brands in various sizes and lengths until you find one that's close. Then, a trip to your tailor is in order. These two Dappered articles should help you:

http://dappered.com/2010/03/how-your...video-example/

http://dappered.com/2011/04/how-much...ost-to-tailor/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    i guess the next step is to get some measurements....

and im well aware of the need for a tailor, but at the same time my last jacket was "tailored" and still didn't ever really fit. last tailor i used on my shirt didn't really do it right either. also, when i was looking at a 44-45 suit jacket the tailor told me he would have to re-cut the jacket to get it to fit my sides...to put things in perspective, and it seems like ill need like a 43 for my shoulders. a tailor can only do so much, i think i might need a bit more help.

thanks for the input though, i really appreciate it!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2good2be2 View Post
    i want to spend enough to get a suit people are going to feel and say is "nice", does that make sense?
    What exactly does this mean? You need to mention what your budget is at least. All I got from your post was from free to bespoke suit, which is a very big range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    measurements:

Chest (nipple height) = 43-44
    Shoulder = 19-20
    Neck to bottom of butt = 28
    Shoulder to wrist = 24-25
    Waist right above belly button = 35
    Waist on hips where pants rest at hip bone= 36

i did these myself but they cant be too far off.

as far as price goes, im not sure. lets just aim for under $1000 with tailoring. but i don't want to spend $1000 if i can get something nice for cheaper. a suit for a young professional for special occasions.
    Last edited by 2good2be2; May 14th, 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Sounds like a size 43 or 44 suit will fit your measurements fine.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Go to Brooks Brothers if you want a really nice suit. You might pay a little more, but I'm convinced it is the suit place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    ok so i need a 43 or 44 size jacket for my shoulder and chest.

but what about my waist? is it reasonable to be able to take in a jacket that much? 4 sizes smaller at the waist? lol

and yes i hear brooks brothers has nice stuff, but also not cut very slim so i just don't bother.