Thread: Fit vs. Fabric

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Fit vs. Fabric

OK dappers,
    I'm in need of new suit. Looking for something at least 100% wool. Would love something somewhat modern, half canvassed -- suit supply napoli or any half dozen MTM online guys could offer that with decent fabric, yet sight unseen in terms of measurements.

Have been trying on all the usual suspects who offer discounts: BR - not quite right in the shoulder, tailored makes it hard to size down; J Crew, too slim in the chest; Bar III, too much in the shoulder, can't size down.

Walked through JCP on the way out of the mall and on a whim tried on a simple Claiborne suit off the rack and damn if it didn't fit better than any of the others, and it's on clearance for a mere $140 less 15% with a coupon. This is the classic fit mind you, not the slim fit version that got a lot of play on this site; and I'm not skinny (6'1", 200lbs). Had to check the tags to make sure it was at least 100% wool. It is, but it's also pretty much a cheaper, fused, department store suit.

So the question then becomes, do I buy the Claiborne OTR suit, have my tailor do $50-75 worth of alterations to get a slightly modern fit? Or do I save up and order something with much nicer fabric and at least half canvassed from suit supply or one of the more reputable MTM online sites?

PS, I don't need to wear a suit very often, but would like to step up my style a bit more. And, I figure every man should own at least one good fitting suit. I'm 46 so this one might be it for some time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    For appearance's sake, especially if you don't plan on wearing it often, the Clairborne is probably going to work fine for you. People will notice the fit far more than the fabric. And if it fits that much better, you probably won't even need to spend that much on tailoring. Depending on where you go, you can get it taken in for about 20 bucks, maybe a bit more if it needs other work done.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)
    Some of the BarIII and JF Ferrar I have seen people complaining about bubbling of the fusing after dry cleaning. Of course don't dry clean too much but they should be able to survive a few cleanings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Fit > Fabric