Thread: New P90X - The Vicious/Yoyo 90 day challenge

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Game of Thrones is back!
    My wife and I just started the show. About 4 episodes into the first season... Enjoying it so far!

Also, those bourbon Mora 2.0 seconds are quite tempting at $170... But I think I'm going to have the self control to pass.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Good luck, I stalled on book 4 because it's so boring. That being said, from what I understand (I could be wrong on these), the current season is actually a continuation (mostly) of book 3 which wasn't fully covered in season 3; book 3 and 4 take place at/around the same time, so you've already seen in season 3 things that happen some in book 4.
    I got about halfway through book 5 before giving up on it. The problem with George R.R. Martin's whole "everyone dies - it's historically authentic!" approach is that he has really whittled down the number of characters I give a crap about. I can no longer keep track of the ever-expanding ensemble cast and there are only a small handful of characters whose story arcs I really want to see through. Even then, I am emotionally disengaging and distancing myself from those characters on the assumption that they will probably die horrible deaths sooner or later and their story arcs will never be fully realized.
    Ben

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Good luck, I stalled on book 4 because it's so boring. That being said, from what I understand (I could be wrong on these), the current season is actually a continuation (mostly) of book 3 which wasn't fully covered in season 3; book 3 and 4 take place at/around the same time, so you've already seen in season 3 things that happen some in book 4.
    I've only seen the show through season 2, I'm being a good husband and waiting for my wife to get through book 3 before we watch it together. I've getting a little impatient though, I've actually contemplated watching it in secret...but I won't...maybe...need new shoes....

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    I do books or film but never both. At least not togethet

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dackman View Post
    Alright, we're at a week, how's everybody hanging in there? Do we need to have any forms of intervention/distraction, how about cell phone plans, car repairs, landscaping tips...that should hold us over until tomorrow.
    I have a new pair of Alden chukkas that I'm swapping out for a pair of Dovers in the same color. The last for the chukkas just didn't work with my feet. That's about all to report. Been waiting on 2 watches that I ordered before last week for a while now. I'm guessing they'll show up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I got about halfway through book 5 before giving up on it. The problem with George R.R. Martin's whole "everyone dies - it's historically authentic!" approach is that he has really whittled down the number of characters I give a crap about. I can no longer keep track of the ever-expanding ensemble cast and there are only a small handful of characters whose story arcs I really want to see through. Even then, I am emotionally disengaging and distancing myself from those characters on the assumption that they will probably die horrible deaths sooner or later and their story arcs will never be fully realized.
    The only character I care about is Tyrion Lannister but you can see that he's going to get screwed badly at some point. Everyone in his own family doesn't like him so there's no way he makes it through the series.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I do books or film but never both. At least not togethet
    I rather enjoy reading the ASOIAF books, then watching HBO's take and appreciating the differences. I actually find GRRM's style of storytelling to be rather good for transposing onto the small screen (which lends itself to killing off characters without as much of a disconnect), which is ironic as I read somewhere that he went to writing novels to escape the idea of being stuck with limited story arcs in each show.

That being said, I'm a nerd and typically try to read a book prior to seeing the movie (assuming the book was well reviewing/acclaimed prior to the movie).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Since the time this challenge has started:

1.) We are down to a one-paycheck household.
    2.) We finally started a long-planned bathroom remodel.
    3.) We had a circuit fail at home, and had to call an electrician to fix it. ($244)
    4.) I got a speeding ticket. ($180)
    5.) We had to replace some cut-off valves under the sink ($120)

When it rains, it pours...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dackman View Post
    Alright, we're at a week, how's everybody hanging in there? Do we need to have any forms of intervention/distraction, how about cell phone plans, car repairs, landscaping tips...that should hold us over until tomorrow.
    I have cell plans for my wife and I costing less the $80/mo total.
    Cars are good, though I have to do an oil change.

Anyone have advice for good grass/lawn options on a hill with dogs? Seriously considering covering most of the yard with stones/bricks.
    I also need a leaf blower and edger/trimmer if anyone has good recommendations.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I have cell plans for my wife and I costing less the $80/mo total.
    Cars are good, though I have to do an oil change.

Anyone have advice for good grass/lawn options on a hill with dogs? Seriously considering covering most of the yard with stones/bricks.
    I also need a leaf blower and edger/trimmer if anyone has good recommendations.
    Dogs like to run. If you use stones or bricks, the dogs will stick to the little grass that's left and it'll soon be dirt. What you need is a hardier grass. What part of the country are you in and how much time do the dogs spend in the yard?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Dogs like to run. If you use stones or bricks, the dogs will stick to the little grass that's left and it'll soon be dirt. What you need is a hardier grass. What part of the country are you in and how much time do the dogs spend in the yard?
    Central TN.
    One has allergies and doesn't like grass expect to pee, one is old/lazy and pretty much just sunbathes, and then the small one (40-45 lbs) is the only one who does any running out there. All are house dogs, get exercise from walks or runs through the neighborhood/downtown, and prefer lying on the deck to the yard anyway, I just don't like the yard looking like crap from dead spots everywhere.