Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Um ... baby stuff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Um ... baby stuff

A lot of us seem to be having kids for the first time, while others are on their second or third kid and have plenty of knowledge to share. Please share your knowledge!

For me: Our first, a boy, is due March 30. We haven't really begun amassing things yet, aside from some clothing and small things, but are about to make a crib purchase and a stroller purchase. We figured that the big purchases are on us, and we'll get plenty of fill-in stuff from showers.

Ok, this is the crib we'll likely get (there's a 10% off coupon too!): http://zacandzoe.com/nurserybedroom/oeufrobcrib.html

And here's the stroller: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-El...ds=baby+jogger (It was between this and a City Mini GT, but for $30 more, there are some cool added features.)

Let the baby discussion commence!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    We found Trumpette socks to fit best:
    http://www.target.com/c/baby-toddler...nk=lnav_narrow by category_1

Everything else store/budget brand would just fall off.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    We bought a fairly affordable crib from Ikea and it's lasted us through two kids.

Can't recommend second hand stores though, besides a few essentials, we've bought almost all of our stuff used/second hand.

And unless there's something specific clothing wise that you want for your baby, don't buy any clothes yourself. You're going to get so many clothes during showers and as gifts that there's virtually no way that they'll ever be able to wear it all while they can still fit into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I highly recommend getting him a pair of those infant Adidas Sambas...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    You need this stroller frame or a similar universal one where you can just attach the infant seat/carrier to the stroller.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family

You do NOT want to wake the kid up to put them in your fancy stroller if they are already asleep in the infant seat/carrier.
    Baby's sleep? News to me!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    You need this stroller frame or a similar universal one where you can just attach the infant seat/carrier to the stroller.

You do NOT want to wake the kid up to put them in your fancy stroller if they are already asleep in the infant seat/carrier.
    A snap and go is on the list.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)

with our City Mini, we had an attachment that allowed us to just click the car seat on (kinda into/over the seat), so we avoided the necessity of a Snap n Go. There may be something similar for the stroller you've chosen.

Overall, though, my experience is that one's choice in stroller (and related gear) is going to be very lifestyle and locale dependent. We've relied on ours more and in different ways than my relatives in California because we walk a whole lot more and drive a whole lot less than them. Some perhaps less obvious variables that are worth paying attention to are whether the wheels require inflating (if so, it's a pain in the ass at times, but will usually be better in rougher terrain) and what size the basket is (pushing a stroller and a shopping cart probably isn't going to happen).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    We got a changing table that we rarely used. Typically change him on the floor, bed, couch wherever we are at the time.
    We bought the crib at a local place, I think it was $250 or so.

Most of our clothes have come second hand from friends or through consignment. They grow out of everything so fast that most second hand stuff is brand new. The big thing I would spring for is a glider/rocker with the footstool. Just put your feet up and gently glide back and forth without disturbing the kiddo.

Be prepared for everyone to come out of the woodwork to tell you how to raise your kid.

We use hanes socks as everything else would fall off. We didn't buy him shoes until he could walk. Mine just turned one so ask away. I've battled ear infections, ear tube surgery, and croup. Google will become your friend/enemy during many 3am nights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One of things I would say (have a 2 1/2 year old & a 8 month old) is as willsee said avoid changing tables. If someone buys one for you, great. However, when you have a kid blowout (that's a term you will become very accustomed to) the last thing you think to do is run him/her to the changing table, buckle them in and then change the diaper. In all honesty I wish we would have spent the money from the changing table we bought for more swaddling blankets. This is what we used for any diaper changes as to avoid getting anything on carpet and sofas.

Most of our clothes came from gifts as well. But I will say that the one thing you might want to look at is those plain onesies that Hanes sells. They are perfect for just being in the house all day, and if they get ruined it's not the end of the world.

Also, they sell forehead thermometers http://www.walmart.com/ip/Braun-Fore...meter/26923480 that are much easier than taking your kid's temperature rectally. At 3am the last thing you want is for a feverish baby to be even more upset because you have to take their temperature rectally (and it takes forever).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    with our City Mini, we had an attachment that allowed us to just click the car seat on (kinda into/over the seat), so we avoided the necessity of a Snap n Go. There may be something similar for the stroller you've chosen.

Overall, though, my experience is that one's choice in stroller (and related gear) is going to be very lifestyle and locale dependent. We've relied on ours more and in different ways than my relatives in California because we walk a whole lot more and drive a whole lot less than them. Some perhaps less obvious variables that are worth paying attention to are whether the wheels require inflating (if so, it's a pain in the ass at times, but will usually be better in rougher terrain) and what size the basket is (pushing a stroller and a shopping cart probably isn't going to happen).
    Shomas beat me to the punch with this one - but we also used the car seat attachment on the City Mini - it was one of the things that led us to pick it over some of the other options. Also definitely pay attention to whether or not the wheels need inflating - we have a neighbor whose does and it is indeed a PITA (for them at least) when a tire goes flat (always at an inopportune time, of course).