Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: International vacation ideas

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

International vacation ideas

I approach travel similarly to many things in my life, including clothes. I want to visit some places more than others, but I'm driven be deals and will follow the opportunity to save money so long as it's somewhere I'd like to go.

My wife and I won't be able to take a vacation until 2015, but I would like to start looking now. We both traveled a reasonable amount before we met each other, and have been on several trips together.

At the top of the list are:
    Morocco
    Italy
    South America (will probably need more than one trip)
    Bali
    Costa Rica (been before, but wife reeeeally wants to go again)
    African safari
    International cruises (not Caribbean or Alaskan)

At the bottom of the list are:
    Domestic cities
    Caribbean cruise
    Big chunks of Europe (either one or both of us has seen it)
    Beaches

FWIW, we've taken a couple of cruises (Mediterranean and Caribbean), and they've worked really well for us. We've found them to be a good way to see a number of places in rapid succession, and my wife hates packing/unpacking so cruising let's us do it just once. That being said, non-cruise vacations would still be a perfectly viable option is the price is right. I like the idea of a trip that includes more than one stop, though.

I'm keen on vacation packages that can roll in the cost of airfare since that can often be the biggest expense. I also don't mind traveling during non-peak times if it means we can save money.

So.... Any ideas? Any travel deals you know about? have you been somewhere that you have to share? I'd like to hear about it.
    Last edited by alan; March 20th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    FWIW, I'm not looking for general suggestions like, "Have you considered Hawaii?"

I'm looking for very specific cruise itineraries, travel packages, etc. I need to see numbers. I already get newsletters from Sherman's Travel and Travelzoo. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    FWIW, I'm not looking for general suggestions like, "Have you considered Hawaii?"

I'm looking for very specific cruise itineraries, travel packages, etc. I need to see numbers. I already get newsletters from Sherman's Travel and Travelzoo. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
    Ha ha and LOL. What am I? Your travel agent? People get paid for this kind of thing, you know.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Ha ha and LOL. What am I? Your travel agent? People get paid for this kind of thing, you know.
    If I could afford a travel agent, do you think I would be concerned about what my clothes cost? :-)

Seriously, though, the readership here strikes me as the worldly sort so I'm wondering where others may have gone (or will go) affordably. I'm not asking or expecting anyone to actually do research.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    I've been to a few on your wish list including Morocco, Italy (many x's) a few places in South America and Bali. Bali is fantastic and you could turn it into a SE Asia tour if you've never been there. I also want to see Thailand, Singapore and Cambodia, but I don't want to be rushed through them all.

By far the most amazing trip we've ever taken though was to the Galapagos Islands. We did it with Lindblad (now partnered with National Geographic). Words really fail to explain just how amazing it was! Especially since your wife is a photographer! I have hundreds of pics from our trip. When I get home later I can post a couple if you want.
    we almost went to Bali for our honeymoon, but the Greek Isles cruise won out. It looks fantastic both for its culture and for its nature.

My wife and I would LOVE a Galapagos trip. We're both big nature people. That's why we have African Safari on the list and our Costa Rica trip was chalk full of monkeys, sloths, iguanas and wildcats. I've just always been under the impression that the Galapagos are considerably more expensive than your typical international trip. I've seen those Nat Geo cruises, though. I think we'll definitely do one some day before we die. My wife wanted to be a Nat Geo photographer when she was growing up. :-)

Btw, those are some fantastic photos!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Yeah, I guess when I say "Italy" I really mean Rome and Tuscany. I've already (briefly) seen Venice. I'm still a little pissed that our flight arrived late and we missed a concert of Vivaldi's Four Seasons that we were supposed to attend that night.
    Last edited by alan; March 20th, 2014 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    I'm glad to see the Nusa Dua Beach Resort get a thumbs up. My research showed mixed reviews, but if your taste in accommodations matches your taste in clothes, I'm sure I can trust your opinion. Ubud definitely sounds like where I want to spend a few days, though. I'm not a beach bum like my wife is.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    @Fred G. Unn those pictures are incredible!

I'm a cruiser due to the "bang for your buck" aspect of it. I'm going on a seven day Carribean one out of Port Canaveral in September. It's through Carnival on one of their newly renovated boats. I estimate the total cost at $1100 for everything (room, fees, tip, traveling there and back, parking, and goods purchased to prep for the trip).

I'd love to do an international trip the second half of next year. I have friends that live in Hong Kong and Tokyo, so ideally I'll be able to take a week or two off and visit Asia for the first time. I just have to make the finances work!

@alan, I'd also recommend Denmark and the surrounding countries if you haven't been there. I completed my MBA there with a study abroad program and loved everything about the area.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wsupjs View Post
    [MENTION=3859]I'd love to do an international trip the second half of next year. I have friends that live in Hong Kong and Tokyo, so ideally I'll be able to take a week or two off and visit Asia for the first time. I just have to make the finances work!
    Well hotels and air travel are the most expensive parts of a vacation. Getting either one for free is a major boon.
    Last edited by alan; March 21st, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Sounds like you may have already visit Greece on your Med cruise? If not, then I highly recommend it and if I was headed to that part of the planet again I would probably try and do Turkey. I love the food, people, and landscape, and things are generally pretty inexpensive.

Anything you could ever want to know about visiting Greece. http://www.greektravel.com/
    The website looks a little outdated and his english isn't great, but there is a ton of information and he's been just about everywhere in Greece. Greek travel agents are amazing. High level of service for not a lot of cash. We used Fantasy Travel http://www.fantasytravelofgreece.com/