Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Pants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Black Pants

In my new job I have to wear black pants. It is a business casual office so I am looking for some inexpensive mostly cotton ones. In general I rarely wear black clothes. Suggestions? Thanks.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I'd recommend not totally cheaping out on this. Inexpensive black garments that get washed frequently will start to turn sickly shades of black-green, because cheap black dye is typically made by mixing a bunch of other dyes and the different colors fade at different rates. If you end up wearing just a few pairs of pants on a daily basis, you will probably end up washing them more frequently than you normally would.

I'd suggest something like the Dockers Alpha Khaki or Lands' End tailored-fit chinos. You could buy one or two pairs of "good" chinos and rotate them with a couple cheaper pairs that you wear a little less frequently, if that's better for your budget.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Express cotton dress pants. BR has some decent ones atm, just make sure to get it on a good sale.

Sucks that black pants hardly ever match anything...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    May I also suggest that you wash and dry your black pants inside out to prevent them from fading along the creases where the zippers, pockets, and waist are. Also, if they do fade, you might also be able to use some RIT dye on them, although with fabric dyes they often recommend that you use high temperatures on them when you dye, which may cause your pants to shrink while you treat them with dye (especially with the mostly cotton blend you desire).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the input. I scored these Gap Moleskin Jeans today for 9 bucks!

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=918476002

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Wait you have to wear black pants only? But you are allowed to wear jeans?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I only realized there were called that until I looked for another pair on the Gap's website. They seem to be more like brushed chinos. They might be bettered called five pocket pants or something.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    They look like black jeans, and I would not consider those to be appropriate in an office.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoddm View Post
    I only realized there were called that until I looked for another pair on the Gap's website. They seem to be more like brushed chinos. They might be bettered called five pocket pants or something.
    I don't know many places where you can wear 5 pocket pants. Hell I managed a rec sports facility in my early 20's and I had to wear khaki chinos.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Probably a good idea to also use detergent specifically made for dark fabrics.
    5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist