Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One-off threads

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    If you don't like a thread, there's this amazing little tip I can give you: Don't read it.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...r45xo1_500.gif

Jokes aside, I agree with Greg. Too often consolidated "get help here" threads become cluttered. For instance, I've seen variations on this situation happen all too often:

1. Person 1 asks question 1.
    2. Person 2 responds to question 1.
    3. P1 asks P2 for clarification on Q1.
    4. P3 asks Q2.
    5. P4 asks Q3.
    6. P5 responds to Q2 and Q3.
    7. P4 responds to P4 about Q3.
    8. P1 pipes in: "Hello, P2? Can you answer me?"

Et cetera. However, with the recent addition of mentions, these results may be mitigated. Also, if everyone becomes sick of seeing the same threads over and over again, it may lead to threads going completely unanswered. That can be frustrating as a new poster and may lead to fewer new members, although the constant influx of first-time posters doesn't really support my hypothesis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The moderator team is discussing options to solve this issue.

One thing that I would like to weigh in is, so what? We get people asking for help. So? That's the point. Without some repetitiveness, there are a finite number of style topics, in my opinion. The beauty of Dappered is that it has never been like SF and shunned new folks looking for advice. If you don't like a thread, there's this amazing little tip I can give you: Don't read it.
    I've seen forums where one could filter out threads and/or users that you want to ignore. Can this site develop something similar? A simple checkbox next to the brown shoes threads, and poof, no more brown shoe threads showing up in your thread list. For those that want to view brown shoe threads, they are available without having to search through 300 pages of a stickied thread or 400 posts from 2 years ago.

That being said, I really like this site because there is a welcoming community here. If I asked a question and the response was "google it" constantly I would go find another site to visit. One can also ask those really specific questions and get answers. Google could probably answer them as well, after many, many, many hours of searching. That one thing this site has to offer that not many other do.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    The moderator team is discussing options to solve this issue.

One thing that I would like to weigh in is, so what? We get people asking for help. So? That's the point. Without some repetitiveness, there are a finite number of style topics, in my opinion. The beauty of Dappered is that it has never been like SF and shunned new folks looking for advice. If you don't like a thread, there's this amazing little tip I can give you: Don't read it.
    This. Exactly this. Glad a mod finally voiced the thoughts I've had for a while.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    As an addendum to my previous suggestion, sticky and lock a 'guide to...' thread. A simple pm to the mod team to have a guide added would be required to add to the thread. I think something like this would give new people like me a goto source for basic info and avoid allot of unnecessary threads. Granted there will always be those of questionable intelligence and corner cases still posting, but there is no way to completely avoid that