Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)

One-off threads

It seems like there's been a rash of one-off newbie kinds of threads lately, e.g., where do I buy this suit, what brown shoes should I buy, does this tie go with this shirt, etc. I'm wondering if there's a way to manage these threads so they don't take over the Forum. Can we have a distinct newbie part of the Forum or somewhere that just this kind of question can be answered? Thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    This is an opposite of sorts from your idea, but here are my two cents. Remember when you did the Red Wing Appreciation Thread? What if we divided this clothes category into two forums: General Questions & Appreciation/Brand Specific Questions threads. If you have a general question, "Whats the best linen suit?" you post in the general questions. If you want to ask about the fit of shoes or ask someone's advice on something specific, then you head over the appreciation thread and ask there.

I wish the forum could get better searches. There are times when I KNOW there has already been a thread on something but cannot find it with search. I think that could possibly cut down on some new posts, as well.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaMatt View Post
    I wish the forum could get better searches. There are times when I KNOW there has already been a thread on something but cannot find it with search. I think that could possibly cut down on some new posts, as well.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    I've always wondered why this seemed to be the only forum that didn't have that setup. Why isn't it a link on the main forum page?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
    I've always wondered why this seemed to be the only forum that didn't have that setup. Why isn't it a link on the main forum page?
    Using that search can cause a higher server load and slow the forums down.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    I think the better solution would be to have a few more sticky threads for general questions like job interview attire. It won't fix everything, but it could help.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Lately everything has been a "where can I buy this" kind of thread, and not only that but also what I think of as "special flower" requests, i.e., where do I find something to fit my weird body type or extra wide feet. I know we're here to help, but gee whiz, doesn't one get a bit weary of this after a while? It's like we're supposed to be this Google-like database of knowledge with answers to every weird fit problem or social situation, etc.

I would like to see the forum return to more of the celebratory kind of posting it used to do.

In short, too many odd request threads.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    @Duvel, now THAT would be prime opportunity for a new forum.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    It used to be more like that around here. It seems that since around Christmas, the forum has been inundated with these weird requests.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Could we start a forum just to house @Duvel's complaints?