Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suitable - Made-to-Measure suits for $295 - any experience?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    "woolish"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    "Wuul"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I'm going to start a suit company where the entire thing is made in poly, except the tag I sew on it will be 100% wool and marked as such. Anyone want to invest?

Edit: Actually, lets skip the poly. I will make them out of industrial canvas so not only can I say that they are made WITH 100% wool, but they will also be fully canvassed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    Jeez, why can't these online suit companies just be honest about their product? Under "Details & Care" they state wool, but they don't say 100% wool. If I ordered a "wool" suit and got a wool/poly blend, I'd be pissed.
    Hey Fred, this is Ray from Suitable. That's really fair feedback and we definitely want to make sure everything feels transparent. So we've gone through and updated every single product page with the exact composition and materials, as well as our "How We Do It" page. Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I started Suitable because it was something I wanted myself as a guy. There are a lot of custom suit companies that offer terrific products, but at a price point that makes it hard to pull a trigger. And the more affordable options tended to have poor design, construction and quality. So the idea was, what if custom could be more accessible, not feel like such a big investment, and the suits actually looked great? That's how Suitable started.

Also, if you guys have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me at ray@suitablenyc.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    My main concern is how their website is talking up how it's NYC, but I can practically guarantee that their product is made in the same factory as every other MTM company, in China.
    @Domino, hopefully it didn't come across as trying to hide something. It's simply that our HQ is in New York, we love the Empire State and have put down roots. We have a fantastic manufacturing partner in Shanghai and source our fabrics from Britain. Most of the buzz is on Italian wools but we've been pretty impressed with the British wool blends we're working with.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyb View Post
    I didn't see anything on their website about ordering fabric samples, but I'd be curious how these stack up... especially the navy and tweed. I like the lapel size, but their jackets all seem to be cut rather short. Anyone else have thoughts?
    @jakeyb, unfortunately, we don't offer fabric samples right now. Certainly the challenge of being online based, and can TOTALLY understand your desire to see it in person. We're going to start having events in certain locations, so if you're in the area, would love to have you try it on for yourself. In the meantime, we're going to start putting out video content so you can see the suits up close.

As for jacket length, we find it to be more flattering when the bottom of the jacket hits around the bottom of your zipper. The more traditional style had a longer jacket, but we find that the upper body looks more dominant with a modern jacket length and tapered pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I guess you could do worse for $300. I know a guy who bought an express suit for $300, wool/poly blend, after I explicitly told him not to.

It made me cry inside. And outside.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Liu View Post
    I guess you could do worse for $300. I know a guy who bought an express suit for $300, wool/poly blend, after I explicitly told him not to.

Morgan, that was basically me in a past life. I started Suitable because it was something I wanted myself as a guy. There are a lot of custom suit companies that offer terrific products, but at a price point that makes it hard to pull the trigger. And the more affordable options tended to have poor design, construction and quality. So the idea was, what if custom could be more accessible, not feel like such a big investment, and the suits actually looked and felt great? That's how Suitable started.

Gotta say, we've had Dolce & Gabbana models (one of the guys is on our website) and high end suit brands that are pretty psyched about Suitable because we're doing something for the everyday gentleman.

Also, if you guys have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me at ray@suitablenyc.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    My main concern is how their website is talking up how it's NYC, but I can practically guarantee that their product is made in the same factory as every other MTM company, in China.
    @Domino, hopefully it didn't come across as trying to hide something. It's simply that our HQ is in New York, we love the Empire State and have put down roots. We have a fantastic manufacturing partner in Shanghai and source our fabrics from Britain. Most of the buzz is on Italian wools but we've been pretty impressed with the British wool blends we're working with.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyb View Post
    I didn't see anything on their website about ordering fabric samples, but I'd be curious how these stack up... especially the navy and tweed. I like the lapel size, but their jackets all seem to be cut rather short. Anyone else have thoughts?
    @jakeyb, unfortunately, we don't offer fabric samples right now. Certainly the challenge of being online based, and can TOTALLY understand your desire to see it in person. We're going to start having events in certain locations, so if you're in the area, would love to have you try it on for yourself. In the meantime, we're going to start putting out video content so you can see the suits up close.

As for jacket length, we find it to be more flattering when the bottom of the jacket hits around the bottom of your zipper. The more traditional style had a longer jacket, but we find that the upper body looks more dominant with a modern jacket length and tapered pants.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Liu View Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suitable View Post
    Hey Fred, this is Ray from Suitable. That's really fair feedback and we definitely want to make sure everything feels transparent. So we've gone through and updated every single product page with the exact composition and materials, as well as our "How We Do It" page. Thanks for being the voice of reason.
    Look at that. For website changes, other site [Combatant Gent?] is always "working on it" or "waiting on the busy IT department," but Ray gets it done the same day. Changing a website is EASY, and transparency is very commendable. I like them already.

One thing you might consider is to either:

1) ship potential customers a measuring tape for free (an investment, but will likely pay off more often than not), or
    2) have a downloadable (.pdf) measuring tape like this one

That way people don't feel obligated to make an extra trip to the drug store or tailor before buying your product.

That said, I tend toward 100% wool. But there is certainly a market for these suits, and I'm anxious to watch this company grow.
    Last edited by Lucid; March 22nd, 2014 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks lucid! There's no reason. We can't move quickly!

You know what, I'm so glad to hear you mention the measuring tape! We just received a batch of measuring tapes yesterday and so you'll see it on our website in the next week or two once we get our packaging. So perfect timing to hear your comment, that's helpful!

We started down this path because we heard people saying that the whole process of getting measuring tape was a hassle. So we decided to get branded measuring tape.

Our plan is to offer them for $2 including shipping, which is cheaper than the $3-$4 pink drugstore tape. That's not something we'll make money on, but just to help us cover costs.