Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    He visits with CTO's in their boardrooms
    Quote Originally Posted by riker10 View Post
    If not, just get a couple cheap suits from h&m or zara which should fit well if you're body type is athletic (as it sounds like he is) and get them tailored. Also get a number of those $15 dress shirts from h&m, a cheap pair of shoes (wingtips or plain toes). from aldo, etc and some cheap ties from tie bar.
    Do NOT buy cheap crap!!! His company has flat out told him that by giving him a check. His current cheap clothing is NOT acceptable. He is meeting with CTO's in their boardrooms. Do you really think the CTO across the table from him will be wearing H&M, Zara, or CG? Jeez, he's better off spending the $500 on some nice sweatpants because that's what he'll be wearing around the house during the day while he's unemployed.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faintthought View Post
    24 (25 in july)
    5' 7"
    165 lbs (mostly in the shoulders and chest... makes finding a suit that fits off the rack terrible)
    That is almost exactly my size and build. So I could help but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Faintthought View Post
    I could go over the $500 but that is where the challenge and the fun is!
    I'm not doing someone else's 'challenge'. The challenge is for you to get in at that budget since it's your job. We're here to help, not make it a challenge on ourselves. At least I won't, certainly not at that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    $500. I'd just buy a Barbour jacket and be done.
    I like the way you think!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imliuwhoru View Post
    MORE!!?!?!
    Yup. As I said before... It's only a person's livelihood. If a suit gets used a lot, it will get cleaned more often. And cleaning will slowly damage inferior suits. You can buy a $500 suit to last a decade or a $200 suit to last a few years. In the end, you're only delaying the inevitable (buying another suit), and wearing a second-rate suit while you do it. At the risk of making assumptions about your age (and in know way intended as a "dig"), go check your dad's closet to see what suits he wears. They're probably names like Hart Schaffner Marx. Those aren't even considered top of the line, but you'll still pay $700-800 if you try to walk into a store and buy one off the track at full price.

And because of his sizing situation, buying a suit online doesn't sound like the best idea. Thus, the in-store advice.
    Last edited by alan; March 18th, 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Buy a damn good suit, I've been on the elevator with people in charge of 2 continents for my company, the ones that will be signing off on any proposals we bring forward. Every time they walk in, smile and a nod, my coworker who's equal status as me always says "Your suit paid off again" so I'm not the only one noticing a slight increase in respect.

Also found out today that I'm viewed as one of the best dressed men in my location, there's a few people that would think that's terrible and I'm singling myself out from peers, however people are talking about me, I view that as a good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Our own company is going through an acquisition. We've had people from the new company in our office on numerous occasions. I'm always the last one to know these things, but I'm also the first person to dress well. I have yet to be caught off guard, and they have absolutely noticed how I dress. They've commented on it more than once, as has the president of the company... Right before he lamented how he tried to get everyone in the company to suit up before receiving too much resistance from my department.

If it's your nephew's bar mitzvah, wear whatever you want. If it's your source of income, don't go cheap... And any suit that retails below $400 (probably even more than that, but I'm being conservative) is probably cheap. Now, if you can find a nicer suit on sale, that's great, but don't go trawling the bottom of the barrel for what should be one of the nicest things a person ever wears. You're not going to find it at JCP or Macy's. Recent college grads are often forgiven for not having a great suit to interview in, but I think that charity is lost once you have an income.

I would spend less on a tux than I would on a solid grey or navy suit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Just don't let it go to your head.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Judging by the Poll, we are wrong, you should go shop and Uniqlo, give an update what your boss thinks after!

*couldn't resist*

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    I just realized I was using Ryan Gosling too a few months ago when I was looking for new glasses. I had round glasses in mind already so google image gave me this which I used as a reference:

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I never knew who Ryan Gosling was, I just heard his name mentioned here and there over the last year or so. After some quick Googling, it appears he is a movie star. Is he this generation's Steve McQueen? I haven't seen his movies, so I don't know if they're of the same ilk.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    He's not the same off-camera kind of cool guy McQueen was. He's just a pretty boy. The ladies really love him because he was in The Notebook.
    Last edited by alan; March 20th, 2014 at 07:20 PM.