Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: $500 to turn me into Ryan Gosling

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sojo2600 View Post
    I never knew who Ryan Gosling was, I just heard his name mentioned here and there over the last year or so. After some quick Googling, it appears he is a movie star. Is he this generation's Steve McQueen? I haven't seen his movies, so I don't know if they're of the same ilk.
    Cue @Duvel in 5...4...3...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    He's not the same off-camera kind of cool guy McQueen was. He's just a pretty boy. The ladies really love him because he was in The Notebook.
    And he doesn't look half as crazy as McQueen so they probably like that, I did some googling....buddy looked "weathered" from a young age!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    The cheapest quality shoes cost almost 400$. A cheap but not utterly crap (wool ofc) suit costs almost 500$. It is a nice that your company helps to dress you but changing your wardrobe will be waaay more expensive.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Steve McQueen was/is a style icon but he was also a drunk and a drug addict who was mostly famous for driving fast cars and motorcycles. Not sure that makes him especially "cool" by any definition that matters to me. A quick perusal of Ryan Gosling's wikipedia page shows that he has done some cool stuff, including a bunch of volunteer work and buying and renovating his own restaurant. Plus there's that whole "I break up random fights on the streets of New York" episode.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying... I think it's silly to say Steve McQueen was some kind of unassailable "cool guy" and Ryan Gosling is nothing but a "pretty boy." Those are pretty meaningless generalizations IMO.
    Ben

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Drive is one of my favorite films, although I know it can be polarizing and most people either love it or hate it. From there I watched his other films and most of them are good, although he recently decided to take a break from acting and I can see why - as his popularity grew, the films he was starring in began to stutter. He dresses well and purportedly chooses almost everything himself - without the aid of a stylist. He's not always hitting at 110%, but his outfits are usually heads above the rest of his peers, and I've never seen him in anything atrocious. In many ways I'd be more keen to compare Ryan Gosling to many of the actors from the bygone era, more of a Cary Grant or Gene kelly type. Guys who could act and knew how to dress. I'm not going to bust Rygos for being a 'pretty boy' or that he has sex appeal. Show a lot of girls Steve McQueen and they will say he isn't attractive to them one bit, he has a sort of Marlboro Man affect on us guys.

As far as this generations McQueen. I still think Ewan McGreggor is in the lead role for that. He is so active in motorcycling off screen that its hard to ignore. Watch his two documentaries where him and his buddy ride around the world. Plus, he put his own money into Belfast to save the brand and is their spoke person. I've always found Barbour's Steve McQueen licensing a bit of a stretch - Steve McQueen did wear Barbour, but he also wore Belfast, and probably others. As far as I know its a licensing deal born strictly after his death and its cool... but how much cooler is it that McGreggor loved his Belstaff so much that he bought part of the company?

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    LesserDarkPuppy is spot on about the Steve McQueen of old. He wasn't all that great an actor (some of his movies, however, are very good). He wasn't all that great a human being, by many reports. Mainly, he was a personality, as this kind of thing was known back then. I take from Steve McQueen not so much that which belonged to the real man but to the myth. I admire the ruggedness of style portrayed in the myth of Steve McQueen and the attitude of confidence he displayed, as well as the classic pieces of clothing that he made his own.

It's sort of like needing to distinguish the art from the artist. My ex-wife won't watch Woody Allen movies because she can't stand who she thinks he is based on allegations about his personal life. On the other hand, I love Woody's movies, and I couldn't care less about the rumors, true or false, swirling around his real world.

Am I going to stop wearing my Baracuta because McQueen took drugs or beat his wife? Am I going to stop taking inspriation in his look just because he only was best known for racing cars and driving motorcycles?
    Last edited by Duvel; March 20th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riker10 View Post
    If not, just get a couple cheap suits from h&m...
    H&M suits are horrific. They look like what they are: low quality, poorly cut, and made from junk fabric. There is no way that he should respond to a $500 hint by putting those on. I would be insulted if I gave an employee $500 of seed money and he showed up back at work in one of those suits and some square toed shiny department store shoes. They obviously have a standard and he's obviously not meeting it. Don't slap a bandaid on it. Fix it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    FYI movie stars of yesteryear all looked older than they were. Today's movies stars are filled with makeup, Plastic surgery, Botox, and fitness plans.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    @Faintthought What did you end up buying?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    @Faintthought What did you end up buying?
    Hopefully just a toothpick and this: