Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Breaking Up Is Not So hard to Do" Article - Separating a Suit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

However, more informal suits can be broken into separates with greater success. A suit with a pronounced pattern, rough-textured or non-traditional fabric, or contrasting buttons makes for decent separates. For example, I own J.Crew Factory's cotton oxford suit.
    Not to derail the thread but is that particular JCF jacket half or fully lined?

Thanks in advance

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    Go for it!

Many DO's and DONT's are just rule of thumbs. If you're an expert, you'll see gray areas more than simply black-and-white.
    I wouldn't call myself an expert. Frugal? Yes. Stubborn? Absolutely?

So in the end I am trying both ways. I bought a navy Hickey Freeman Beacon model blazer from Last Call for about $350. 90/10 wool/cashmere blend. And I bought this suit from SuitSupply that I will split:
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits...=Classic-Lazio I think the jacket looks great with jeans.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lankus View Post
    Not to derail the thread but is that particular JCF jacket half or fully lined?

Thanks in advance
    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...s-Oxford-Cloth

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I've done it and would do it again. People don't know or care that it's a suit jacket. I have also been known to (gasp) wear balmorals with jeans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I bought a suit about a decade ago while working in Tokyo and it has been hanging bagged in my closet for most of that decade. It was tailored to be the "perfect Japanese business man's suit." This apparently meant very baggy cuffed pleated pants that I don't have a chance of fitting into even if I wanted to - there could have been translation issues. The jacket on the other hand fits well and the wool is quite nice. I think it looks great with dark denim and could be a strong casual piece but I'm a neophyte.

The pics show the fabric a bit brighter than actual.

Any thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I tried orphan pin stripe jackets with jeans and it didn't work. It did not even work as an odd jacket with dress pants. The only suits I ever break up are casual ones now - otherwise there is too much of a mismatch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    I was gonna say, "No, you can't do stripe sport coat" until I googled this.

So, the key is to match the pants to the tone of the stripe. Try it and report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    A quick pic with the jeans I happen to be wearing..

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosterions View Post
    A quick pic with the jeans I happen to be wearing..

No. Formality-mismatch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Grrr I think I'm looking at this through the sentiment of the place and time so there's some desperation - that and I am just starting to build my wardrobe...

The mismatch could be fixed with the right pants? Pants I don't currently have... I guess I can hold onto this for a while longer, what's another year?

This also reminds me of a concern as a beginner - I think this looks good. I know that can be based completely on ignorance, and I'm not suggesting it's not when I say that when starting out the "rules" can seem so arbitrary that they forget aesthetics.