Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What is your best coffee-making technique?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    I used a French press for a while, but it was always too "sludgy" for me. I also broke 2 glass ones.

I then got an Aeropress, and enjoyed it at first, but then didn't really like it. It seemed like too many steps, didn't make enough coffee, and sometimes the water/coffee would spew out the sides when pressing. I also had problems unscrewing it after pressing.

Finally, I arrived at my favoriteóthe Hario V60 dripper. It is super simple and makes an excellent cup of coffee. I considered a Chemex (which would be very similar as a pour over), but due to the fact that I broke multiple glass French Presses, I decided to go with the ceramic V60 pour over. All in all, I think pour over is the best method.

I would also recommend a good burr grinder, goose-neck kettle, and scale. These aren't absolutely necessary but make everything work just perfect. Now when I buy quality beans, my coffee is just as good (if not better) than the black coffee at hipster coffee shops.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Blast from the past post!

My circa 2010 Cuisinart finally bit the dust last summer, so I upgraded to a Bonavita brewer and a Baratza burr grinder. It definitely was a bit of an overspend, but I like good coffee and it still saves me money relative to buying coffee (even with using only on weekends) so long as this lasts 2 years. The brewer is a definite upgrade from the Cuisinart (even when the Cuisinart was new, but absolutely from when it was on its last leg), and I like the look and simplicity of it. The grinder was totally a splurge / add-on purchase, but it's nice to have fresh ground and at a nice, consistent grind level.

I just purchased a Baratza grinder too, and it is sweet. I think it will work wonders for my cold brews come summer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So Iíve yet to acquire the taste for most regular coffee. Iím one of those Starbucks preference type of guys but the price is getting too high. Espresso based drinks I tend to favor and keep debating getting a nice espresso machine. We got the ninja that tries to duplicate an espresso. Itís fine for iced coffee type drinks but nothing to write home about. With our first child on the way, finishing my mba and other stuff I feel my caffeine needs will probably need to increase.

Has anyone here taken the plunge on a machine like the Breville? My buddy bought the 2k one. Has sent me pics of the finished product and It looks amazing but I still am still skeptical before spending that much coin on a coffee maker.
    I'd be careful about buying an espresso machine. I've tried to make good espresso/lattes at home, but they are never as good as quality coffee shop ones (although I had a much cheaper than $2k machine). I would stick to brewing coffee at home, and keeping your espresso drinks for the coffee shop. If you don't like black coffee, buy some natural creamer, and it will make your home-brewed coffee just as tasty as lattes. You could also make cold-brew to give black coffee a chance. My wife never liked black coffee either, but after she drank a few cold-brews she really started to like it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I'm going to re-up my two suggestions because they are cheap and make amazing coffee:

Moka pot for almost espresso, but a little bit more like turkish coffee https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cu.../dp/B000CNY6UK

Melitta pour over https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Coffe...01M5E5PHC?th=1

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    @Arete thanks for the suggestions. Iíve been debating the espresso machine for about 3 years. In all my research they basically say if you donít get a nice one donít get one at all. Which makes the decision difficult.

I donít want to drink too much coffee for the breath and teeth staining but I gave up all sodas Red Bull etc. several years ago. Itís a fine balance. I traded my $2 Red Bull habit did 4 dollar coffee haha

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So Iíve yet to acquire the taste for most regular coffee. Iím one of those Starbucks preference type of guys but the price is getting too high. Espresso based drinks I tend to favor and keep debating getting a nice espresso machine. We got the ninja that tries to duplicate an espresso. Itís fine for iced coffee type drinks but nothing to write home about. With our first child on the way, finishing my mba and other stuff I feel my caffeine needs will probably need to increase.

Has anyone here taken the plunge on a machine like the Breville? My buddy bought the 2k one. Has sent me pics of the finished product and It looks amazing but I still am still skeptical before spending that much coin on a coffee maker.
    Not exactly the same price category, but we picked up a Nespresso for about 1/5th of that cost and have been perfectly happy with it. The machine and coffees/espressos are high enough in quality that you can appreciate them (unlike Keurig IMO). Super convenient as a whole and easy to maintain.

I consider the Aeroccino frother a required accessory for versatility's sake. One complaint is that the machine did not come with much instruction for making the different drinks, and the frother (at least my model) does not have clear markings for measuring out the milk. You get a feel for how to balance it out with some practice -- milk vs. soy, etc. Some time on YouTube and Google really goes a long way.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)
    My dream setup would be a Baratza Virtuoso, Chemex Ottomatic and a Breville Oracle Touch. Unfortunately I have neither the cash nor the kitchen space to accommodate those dreams so I just use a Baratza Virtuoso and a french press currently.

*EDIT*
    As mentioned earlier the at home espresso game is difficult to get into. The affordable machines aren't in the same ballpark as what you would get out of a commercial La Marzocco machine (or similar). To add to that it can take the uninitiated a LOT of trial and error to figure out how to properly tamp and measure out the pour of the grinds to get a good pull out of a machine.
    Last edited by Rawfull; January 15th, 2019 at 01:28 PM.