Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best coffee-making technique?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)

What is your best coffee-making technique?

Making coffee at home is much more economical than $2 for starbucks. Its also customizable to your own taste and it is interesting to learn. Starbucks somehow always tastes burnt to me.

I am still a novice, but I thought I would post my technique and see if anyone else has suggestions.

For inspiration, a relaxing youtube video of a Japanese guy making coffee.

Here is my setup:

the french press is bodum from Target (holds 2 cups)
    the coffee grinder is from amazon

Instructions:

1. Heat water (I microwave it).
    2. Grind 1 tablespoon of fresh coffee beans. (pulse in the coffee grinder 12 times)
    3. Transfer coffee grounds to the french press.
    4. Add water to the french press. Brew for 11 minutes. add some of the water to your coffee cup to warm it. (do some clean up while it is brewing)
    5. Toss out the water from the coffee cup. Add splash of milk or half-and-half.
    6. Press the coffee and pour into your cup.
    7. Enjoy in your home study while reading or surfing the internets.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Its free at my office. Not amazing but can't beat the price. Don't drink coffee on the weekends.

Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1937 Post(s)
    I use a manual burr grinder and Aeropress at home. At work we have a Kuerig.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I use a burr grinder. I use the fine-to-medium grind for stovetop espresso (Bialetti Moka express); coarse grind for my Bodum French press. I also take the coarse grind to work, microwave some water, then pour it through a natural filter and coffee cone (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?...qid=1393948624). This gives me control over quantity and caffeine level.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    If it's something special, I'll use a French press. Truth be told, though, I only do that a couple of times per year. And if the grind isn't suitable for a French press, the result is definitely sub par.

I also use the French press for loose leaf tea. It works pretty well, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I have a French press, but I only brew it for 4 minutes...you may be over-extracting the coffee on an 11 minute setup. I also use two tablespoons of whole beans per 6 oz. water, but YMMV.

I'd suggest using filtered water and getting a hand-cranked burr grinder (I got one on Amazon for about $40) so you can control the grind a better.

Finally, I buy bulk coffee from Whole Foods so I know when it was roasted - a week a supply at a time. Source doesn't really matter so long as they are as fresh as possible.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    French press, every morning. 32oz into mine and the ladies two 16oz Stanley mugs. Keeps mine warm all the way till lunch, and hers till she crawls out of bed (she works evenings/nights).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Chemex guy over here. I think you'll never make a better cup of coffee than with a Chemex.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I also use a French press, and I agree with alanm that you're likely ruining your coffee if you let it brew for 11 minutes. You only need to steep your coffee for 2 minutes for a mug's worth, or 4 minutes for a full press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I've got to agree with ZachG. I used a French Press for years, but the Chemex keeps that last drop pristine.