Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $100 Goodyear Welted Chromexcel boots via Kickstarter (not mine)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

$100 Goodyear Welted Chromexcel boots via Kickstarter (not mine)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery

I'm wondering what people think of this. They sound like they talk a good game, and for 100 bucks, they certainly look sharp for what they say they offer. Personally, I'd be all over a pair of the brown 16th streets, except they don't offer wides, and odds are, that's what I'd need.

But the other thing is that, well, is it too good to be true? 100 bucks for that? Also, they say round cap toe, but it's plain toe, and "Goodyear wet"(sic) could be either just a plain typo, or could be indicative of other quality issues.

Again, I have nothing to do with this kickstarter, just wanted opinions, and if it's a good looking product, figured I'd help out by spreading the news.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Also, their website is practically nonexistent.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Their video and shoe pictures are lifted from Thorogood. Seems like another Field & Crew.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I'd stay away until someone takes the plunge. Too risky looks shady.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crims View Post
    Their video and shoe pictures are lifted from Thorogood. Seems like another Field & Crew.
    Well, I'm glad I doublechecked then. I can just buy the boots whenever I want from the actual maker.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Yup, they've stolen images from a European vendor of Thorogood boots.

http://www.thorogood.de/Shop/1892-Co...brown::54.html

The video, if you watch it closely, also shows the Thorogood logo at various points.

I'd steer far, far clear from this. It should be standard practice for anyone using Kickstarter to do a search-by-image search of the images first, to make sure they are original.

I just reported this intellectual property theft to the company that produces Thorogood boots. Apparently Kickstarter does not accept reports of intellectual property violations from anyone but the copyright holder... which is utterly stupid, given the problem Kickstarter is obviously having with schmucks like "Field & Crew" and this company that simply steal images from other businesses and present them as their own.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; March 2nd, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.thorogood.de/Shop/1892-Co...67d408b6e0716a

0:55 of the video.

damn. they aren't even putting an effort to try to pass off this as their own.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Maybe somebody should alert Thorogood?

I love "American inspired." Yeah, how about American ripped-off, namely Thorogood but they also look a lot like Red Wing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Their comments section say that they're working with the Thorogood folks to make the boots, but given that the photos are 100% the same thing as the Thorogood, I'm not seeing what these guys bring to the table.

That said, http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/...labelling.html suggests that this kind of thing is not unheard of.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how or why Thorogood could or would do a third-party branding dealie with someone to sell the boots for below what Thorogood already sells them for. Like you said, I'm not sure what these guys are bringing to the table in terms of adding value to Thorogood's product. More mouths at the table means the shoes should cost more than they normally do, not less (see, e.g., Chippewa for J.Crew collaboration).

If they were doing a collaboration with Thorogood, you think they'd list that upfront somewhere in their actual campaign information rather than bringing it up defensively in a comment after they've been called out on their bullshit. And a "collaboration" doesn't explain why they've used images and video of existing Thorogood products.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; March 2nd, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Ben