Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: $100 Goodyear Welted Chromexcel boots via Kickstarter (not mine)

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Sneaky bastards. Like on ebay where they sell "vintage" Baracutas and carefully don't show the left side pocket where a real Baracuta would show a label.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    $100 for chromexcel, goodyear welted boots? smells fishy to me when you factor in the cost of chromexcel leather and labor. but, i'd like to see how this pans out.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
    $100 for chromexcel, goodyear welted boots? smells fishy to me when you factor in the cost of chromexcel leather and labor. but, i'd like to see how this pans out.
    That's sort of where I stand. I have until the 8th to change my mind, cancel my backing and say "this sound sketchy"

I'll post those emails later, when I have a little more time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Someone reached out to Thorogood/Weinbrenner, I'm curious if they got anything back from them.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    This is the stuff, I wish more people were aware of. It's a shame too because it ruins it for legit people trying to make it. Not casting stones at these guys in particular, but just saying in general.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Rather than waiting, I went and emailed Thorogood myself, and the guy I contacted has confirmed that they are indeed working with those guys, and that this has been in the works for about two years now.

So there's that.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Rather than waiting, I went and emailed Thorogood myself, and the guy I contacted has confirmed that they are indeed working with those guys, and that this has been in the works for about two years now.

So there's that.
    Redeemed, for now. So these guys aren't scammers (as far as we know). It certainly seems like they are a little naive or made some poor choices. Why wouldn't they have disclosed their relationship with Thorogood right from the get-go? Collaborating with a known entity would have lent them a lot of credibility as entrepreneurs, and preempted any suspicions of IP theft.

I'm also not sure how they can team up with Thorogood to offer US-made chromexcel boots for $100 when that's a better price for (arguably) a better product than Thorogood itself sells under its own label. Thorogood is already considered the "budget" option for US-made boots. How is Thorogood benefited by taking an even smaller slice from a smaller profit than it does on its own shoes, which are already competitively priced?

Finally, I still think it's a poor business practice them to have used photos and video of products that aren't the product they are selling (or a prototype) without disclosing that fact. Presenting those images - particularly the shoes in the video - without disclaiming their origin seems borderline deceptive, even if the same manufacturer is producing their shoes.

My lingering doubts aside, I guess there's nothing more to see here.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'm also not sure how they can team up with Thorogood to offer US-made chromexcel boots for $100 when that's a better price for (arguably) a better product than Thorogood itself sells under its own label. Thorogood is already considered the "budget" option for US-made boots. How is Thorogood benefited by taking an even smaller slice from a smaller profit than it does on its own shoes, which are already competitively priced?
    Without looking at the books, they may make a lesser profit, but because it's via kickstarter, it's a sure thing, rather than having the risk of not selling everything they make.

I mean, it's no guarantee that this will pan out after all, but unless the guy I talked to is somehow using his position there to scam everyone and risking his job for this kickstarter campaign, it seems reasonably legit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Has anyone backed them and seen what the production samples they have posted look like? Apparently it's just for backers only, so I can't see em.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Has anyone backed them and seen what the production samples they have posted look like? Apparently it's just for backers only, so I can't see em.
    Why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense.