Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $100 Goodyear Welted Chromexcel boots via Kickstarter (not mine)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    I'm definitely leaning more towards the scam side of things than not.

Though someone might be able to contact them directly to follow up, if not already. I'm not sure, they say they're getting the stuff made in the US, but the only Thorogood website I can find is a .de URL, with German contact info. Thorogoodworkboots.com seems to just link to a general workboots sales site, so I don't know if that works.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Domino, Thorogood appears to be a brand owned by a company called Weinbrenner USA.

http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/

I contacted them through that website yesterday.
    Ben

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayesian View Post
    It's fuzzy enough that I don't know how to read it, but if it's a scam, they've taken a less lazy route (if I were a scammer in their shoes, I'd take the "studiously say nothing, take money, leave" approach).
    FWIW, they don't have any money yet. They don't get anything unless they meet their funding goal, and they're only halfway there now. So, if they are scammers, it is not in their best interest to stay quiet, which would only raise more red flags and slow the flow of new backers. A better tactic would be to do what they're doing now... provide just enough information that it seems like they're in control and people will want to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Ben

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    In any case, the good news is, if you end up backing out of this project you can always buy a pair of US-made Thorogoods for $100-150!
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    LBD, I found that out eventually myself. Though their website doesn't seem to have the Abraham boot listed there, I can only find it on the German site, so I don't know what that means.

Their Rogue boot though, I found on the artfuldodgerfootwear site, but their (Artful Dodger) facebook page makes me think that it's definitely connected with this campaign, so I don't know how much confirmation one way or another that gives.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Domino, sometimes companies just offer different product lines in different regions. For example, Carhartt sells workwear to a blue collar audience in the US. In their European market, however, they sell fashion streetwear under the name Carhartt Work in Progress, which was unavailable in the US until recently (and still ships from Europe).

It wouldn't surprise me if Thorogood has some higher-end European or Japanese exclusive models that don't show up on their US websites. Classic American workwear is very fashionable in Europe and Japan so Thorogood's international divisions are probably focused on moving the brand upmarket to compete with Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    Could be it, because that's a nice looking boot there.

Though still, if they're claiming that they don't yet have their products ready to put on the kickstarter, why are they putting up another product under their own model name? It's shenanigans to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    In any case, the good news is, if you end up backing out of this project you can always buy a pair of US-made Thorogoods for $100-150!
    Wait… where can I get a pair of their chromexcel / non-moc-toe / non-white-sole boots in that range? (seriously, couldn't find them, but haven't looked very hard)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Hey BigBayesian, why don't you post the email text here for posterity's sake.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)
    They've added a few images of the moc toe boot in the recent update, but it does not include the outer side or the top of the tongue, where, if there was any, one would see the Thorogood labeling.