Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Review: J.Crew Ludlow Sport Coat in Herringbone Italian Wool

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaMatt View Post
    See how at his shoulder it goes straight down and then follows the contour of his arm? The whole sleeve should be following the contour. It looks like it is too large, the shoulder seem extends past his natural shoulder line and the padding makes it more pronounced. I would also return it or try to side down to a 34. I think a 34 will fit you better in the body as well - 126lbs is SKINNY.
    Yep. Unfortunately, I think a lot of my jackets may do this because I have to go a little bigger through the chest and arms. Now, I have to go try them all on!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uklawdawg View Post
    I don't understand the shoulder complaints. Can somebody explain?
    VespaMatt's explanation was spot on. It's also possible that poor fit in the shoulders may be the result of sloping shoulders or poor posture. Here's a picture I got from effortlessgent's blog that points out the shoulder divot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    OP here. Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I will return it, regardless of whether I lose the $50 rewards credit. I was not sure about the shoulders to begin with, but your second opinions confirmed that it doesn't look right. I really don't think sizing down will help any, and it would be way too tight in the waist if I went down to a 34R. It's already snug in the waist now, and the lapels bow outwards when I raise my arms. I need to give up on the Ludlows because they just don't fit right on me (and it does seem to have more shoulder padding than was evident on the website pictures)

I have been researching on the internet about what actually causes the shoulder divots like this, and I am convinced it is NOT because the shoulders are too big/ too wide. I will start another thread regarding the shoulder divots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    OP here. Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I will return it, regardless of whether I lose the $50 rewards credit. I was not sure about the shoulders to begin with, but your second opinions confirmed that it doesn't look right. I really don't think sizing down will help any, and it would be way too tight in the waist if I went down to a 34R. It's already snug in the waist now, and the lapels bow outwards when I raise my arms. I need to give up on the Ludlows because they just don't fit right on me (and it does seem to have more shoulder padding than was evident on the website pictures)

I have been researching on the internet about what actually causes the shoulder divots like this, and I am convinced it is NOT because the shoulders are too big/ too wide. I will start another thread regarding the shoulder divots.
    It's not actually a divot. Notice the shoulder line is straight so that's not a bad fit. Yes, the sleeve goes straight down a bit before the arm curves, but is this horrible? I wonder if internet perfection has OP looking for a magical suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Maybe I am being too picky. My shoulders are not as bad as the pic from LChow, but my right shoulder is showing a definite irregularity: a mild divot or a pseudo-divot?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    If you pull on the sleeve, I bet it goes away. Likely the size or shape of the armhole. But is it ugly? Does it stand out? I think it's a good fit and a nice fabric. You could compare to a 34S but if out of stock don't feel bad keeping the 36S/R. Do you have a trusted tailor you can ask?
    Last edited by marathon; March 1st, 2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have the same problem with my newly acquired ludlow topcoat in herringbone. I get the divot when I wear it over a sweater rather than a suit, so that explains it. But I intended to wear it over a sweater rather than a suit so I dont know if I should return or not. The third pic is what I am talking about in the following link.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/john-var...0hwqgQsQfnX5vA

Man I love this herringbone topcoat though...it was just what I was looking for so I'm leaning towards keeping it.
    Last edited by meowmix1891; March 1st, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    Maybe I am being too picky. My shoulders are not as bad as the pic from LChow, but my right shoulder is showing a definite irregularity: a mild divot or a pseudo-divot?
    I have the same issue with my J.Crew Ludlows, and its with my right shoulder as well. If I size down then the jacket usually fits too tight. I don't want my jackets and sport coats to look painted on - I'll leave that to fast fashion like H&M and Zara, etc. My shoulders look very similar to yours LCDR, and I've just accepted it. Is it a perfect fit? No. Is it better than 99% of the jackets I see guys wearing? Yes. Would anyone other than me and a few dappered/styleforum/etc. readers ever even notice? No. I think your jacket fits well through the top of the shoulder, it just has that little divot, but otherwise looks and appears to fit great.

Also, its possible a 36S would fix this - I'm not sure how the measurements are different from 36R, but with many brands there is a difference in chest/shoulder measurements between Regular and Short.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    The shoulders aren't good. Return it. A size smaller might work, though.
    You notice how the right vent juts out? If there's any more waist compression, it'll stick straight out like a butt cape. I don't think a smaller size is the answer here. A lot of times, OTR suiting is going to do that in the shoulder. It affects some of my Ludlow jackets as well, and I know for a fact that I'll Hulk Hogan the jacket if I go any smaller.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...FeJF7Aod7lcAcg

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...1749/A1749.jsp

If you look at those two, even the models seem to have the divot issue. I guess even the professional stylists at Jcrew have trouble fitting these professional models who are supposed to have more "ideal" proportions than the average man.