Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 days with no style purchase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    I'm in. I've been nickel-and-diming my budget to death lately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Funny that this came up today, because I am just finishing up a 2-month hiatus myself. After new year's, I told my wife there would be no personal clothing purchases until march - which besides spending a gift-card I received for Christmas, there hasn't been. I have been pining after a few things though, most notably these flannels:

http://luxire.com/collections/pants/...y-wool-flannel

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Something I've done as I've upgraded my wardrobe is continued to give to charities in need through cash and non-cash donations. If any of you need a little extra motivation, consider sending some or all of the money you might have spent to a charity that provides shelter, clothing, or work programs. Sometimes we strive to fill "gaps" in our wardrobe but it's important to remember that others may have no bed, no clothes (except the ones on their backs), or no job at all.

Just an idea to help you keep focused on the goal of getting by with less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I finished up a month yesterday. My hand was forced due to the need for a new interview suit/dress shoes. I also figured while I was cheating I would take advantage of the much needed addition of new running shoes. Although it's entirely possible one or more or those could go back if I don't like them.

I am in for the next two months though. I am saving money as well, but I may cheat by using the $125 in store credit I have from Bonobos to pick up some shorts or something. As far as I'm concerned, that's money already spent.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    I'm definitely in for March, and likely April too.

The only thing I need/want right now is a white dress shirt. Whenever that is purchased, I'll be going on a purchasing hiatus for a while, hopefully through the summer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon View Post
    Something I've done as I've upgraded my wardrobe is continued to give to charities in need through cash and non-cash donations. If any of you need a little extra motivation, consider sending some or all of the money you might have spent to a charity that provides shelter, clothing, or work programs. Sometimes we strive to fill "gaps" in our wardrobe but it's important to remember that others may have no bed, no clothes (except the ones on their backs), or no job at all.

Just an idea to help you keep focused on the goal of getting by with less.
    Probably one of the best posts I have read on here. Really impressed!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I'll give it a shot. I think I should be fine besides my shoe purchases.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    I admire the donation focus, too. But my spending break will be all about keeping myself solvent.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I'm in through March. My budget for the month is pretty much gone already due to an anniversary trip.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I'm planning the opposite Overhauling my wardrobe so I have a number of holes to fill. Trying to make a want/need list and sticking to that so I don't just buy everything I see though. Good luck with the cleanse!