Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 60 days with no style purchase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    How is everyone doing? Less than a week to go and I have stuck to it and my first paycheck in May might be one where I have finally cleared out my credit card debt from the last 2 years.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    As of around April 3 (see post 169), I was out, with the LLBean raincoat purchase. I've since also purchased a pair of Sperry CVO Stripers and a pair of Superga 2750s, plus a couple of Lands End twill baseball caps for summer.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCForever View Post
    How is everyone doing? Less than a week to go and I have stuck to it and my first paycheck in May might be one where I have finally cleared out my credit card debt from the last 2 years.
    Congrats, I'm sure that's a great feeling of anticipation on knocking out that debt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I think I'm going to start this in May. I don't think I have enough days in a season to cycle through the things I bought in the last month for the summer season. After I get a bunch of dress shirts and denim altered, I'll start my fast.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Didn't do perfect. But did scale back a ton. Sold a bunch on eBay, donated a good amount too. I'm sure there is going to be a second donation closet cleaning come the hot weather. Good on footwear. I did buy the penfield Gibson jacket. I should be good for this spring summer 100%. Maybe some black red wings come fall.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    729 Post(s)
    I'm doing the opposite fyi, im determined to make at least 1 style purchase a day

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Conspicuous consumption keeps me occupied!

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    This exercise did introduce a bit more control to my spending habits. Yes, I bought a few small items, mainly things I felt I needed, and nothing extravagant. I'm always going to need new canvas sneakers--I wreck them over a summer and fall's worth of wear. And this year I needed new rain gear since I've become a committed bike commuter.

Nevertheless, I still managed to control spending enough so that with this paycheck I could pay off completly one credit card (first time it's been at zero in more than a year), and the J. Crew card remains at zero with a healthy credit limit.

No clothes go on a credit card from now on, unless it's J. Crew (we get good reward gift cards) and we know that we can pay it off in 1-2 months.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Ok so it is now over and I made it. Treated myself to an Eqqus belt as a reward. I am going to try and do a one purchase every 60 day thing now and as everything I want requires significant saving up now I have high hopes.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Congrats, ACF!

I'm kind of like @Scofield now. After trying (and failing at) this, I've got something of a plan for about 1 style purchase a month. Most of them aren't huge purchases, but I figure this plan gives me some power. I can give in to my shopping jones while watching the expense and being thoughtful about it all. Not to say there won't be some surprises now and then that I'll have to spring for.