Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd wedding anniversary gift ideas?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

3rd wedding anniversary gift ideas?

So I've got a month to find an anniversary gift for my wife. We'll have been married for 3 years.

She's already got plenty of jewelry that she doesn't wear. She likes to receive "experience" gifts such as date nights or concerts, but I feel like an anniversary gift (or at least some portion of it) should have some sort of permanence to it so she can look at it and think back on the milestone.

We're also in the midst of giving our home an enema. We're clearing out lots of clutter to make room for a pending baby. So whatever the gift is, it should preferably be small and easy to store.

And lastly, my wife is leaving her job to care for this baby so we're short on funds. In a perfect world, the gift would be $50 or less, but I can go a little higher if it is worth it.

To get the ball rolling, here are some general lines of thought:
    1.) something baby-related (since we're in that mode right now)
    2.) Etsy stuff (she loves that site)

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    The traditional 3rd anniversary gift is something leather, so perhaps a leather bag to carry baby things when out and about? You can find some screaming deals on vintage bags on Etsy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    A new kid will keep her busy at home for sure, but the day won't be 100% packed. She may end up wanting to do something productive at home besides change an endless onslaught of diapers, especially after stepping out of the workforce. Or at least something mentally stimulating.

Kindle, I dig the basic one and they can often be had for $50. WiFi basic model is $69 right now.
    Shower/bath scrubs, salts, soaps, etc., with the condition that she uses them while you watch the kid. New moms lose a lot of the private time, and very likely she would like some alone time. She'll no longer be fixing her hair or showering in uninterrupted peace. The physical item (bath scrubs) is also an experience (you watch the kid while she gets alone time). Double whammy!
    A clutch with a few $10 gift cards inside to a cafe or store. It says, "When you want to get out of the house for some coffee or girl time, leave the enormous diaper bag and baby here, travel light, just grab the clutch and go. Yo, I got dis."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    The traditional 3rd anniversary gift is something leather, so perhaps a leather bag to carry baby things when out and about? You can find some screaming deals on vintage bags on Etsy.
    Yeah, I read that it's the leather anniversary. I've been considering that angle, but I already gave her a Vera Bradley diaper bag for Christmas so it would have to be something else. I like that train of thought, though.

We've also got Mother's Day coming up. The baby won't be here in time, but I'm still going to get her something. So there's still an opportunity for the baby angle at that time.
    Last edited by alan; February 25th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon View Post
    A new kid will keep her busy at home for sure, but the day won't be 100% packed. She may end up wanting to do something productive at home besides change an endless onslaught of diapers, especially after stepping out of the workforce. Or at least something mentally stimulating.

Kindle, I dig the basic one and they can often be had for $50. WiFi basic model is $69 right now.
    Shower/bath scrubs, salts, soaps, etc., with the condition that she uses them while you watch the kid. New moms lose a lot of the private time, and very likely she would like some alone time. She'll no longer be fixing her hair or showering in uninterrupted peace. The physical item (bath scrubs) is also an experience (you watch the kid while she gets alone time). Double whammy!
    A clutch with a few $10 gift cards inside to a cafe or store. It says, "When you want to get out of the house for some coffee or girl time, leave the enormous diaper bag and baby here, travel light, just grab the clutch and go. Yo, I got dis."
    I've asked her about a Kindle before, but my wife prefers old-fashioned books. Otherwise, she's got an iPad mini. But the "keep her occupied" idea is a good one. I'll have to give it some consideration.

The gift card idea is also a good one, but we've always got restaurant/store gift cards on our Christmas and birthday wish lists so I want to do something different this time around.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I've asked her about a Kindle before, but my wife prefers old-fashioned books. Otherwise, she's got an iPad mini. But the "keep her occupied" idea is a good one. I'll have to give it some consideration.

The gift card idea is also a good one, but we've always got restaurant/store gift cards on our Christmas and birthday wish lists so I want to do something different this time around.
    Trips to the library might be more difficult with baby in tow. Plus she'll have enough crap; a Kindle weighs just 5-6 oz, a third of the weight of a paperback. With a Kindle, you can do eLoan from the library. When your digital book is in, it's available on the Kindle; no need to leave the house. (Also, if the hold expires, just put the Kindle in Airplane mode -- it's not smart enough to know to return the book.)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    My girlfriend got me something like this recently, and it would fit the leather bill in addition to being small. It might not be much, but every time she reaches for her keys, she'll think of you and whatever the lat/lon you put on the keyring represents to both of you.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon View Post
    Trips to the library might be more difficult with baby in tow. With a Kindle, you can do eLoan from the library. When your digital book is in, it's available on the Kindle; no need to leave the house. (Also, if the hold expires, just put the Kindle in Airplane mode -- it's not smart enough to know to return the book.)
    Nice. However, couldn't the same be achieved through the Kindle app on an iPad?

And she doesn't do the library. She prefers to add to our needlessly-growing amount of paper for which we have no good place to store and she won't let us get rid of it... *cough* fire hazard *cough*

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    My girlfriend got me something like this recently, and it would fit the leather bill in addition to being small. It might not be much, but every time she reaches for her keys, she'll think of you and whatever the lat/lon you put on the keyring represents to both of you.
    I was actually thinking of getting a handmade leather keychain, but it never occurred to me to have it personalized. That's a neat idea. Perhaps the coordinates of the place where I proposed...

10.5184899,-84.688227

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I was actually thinking of getting a handmade leather keychain, but it never occurred to me to have it personalized. That's a neat idea. Perhaps the coordinates of the place where I proposed...

10.5184899,-84.688227
    Exactly the idea. She can think of Costa Rica every time she has to run to get diapers.