Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal experience with Obenauf's LP, Huberd's Shoe Grease, or Sno Seal?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Personal experience with Obenauf's LP, Huberd's Shoe Grease, or Sno Seal?

In what will probably be the subject of its own upcoming post, I've got a pair of dark brown Sebago Brattles that I have completely stripped of their finish. All that's left is the raw leather with a hint of brown dye soaked into it. After reading this, I thought I would simply re-dye the leather and then polish them. But then I saw this and I've decided to darken the leather with some sort of waterproofing.

Unfortunately, shoe care can be a mine field for those who tend to over-think things. I've narrowed my choices down to three products: Obenauf's LP, Huberd's Shoe Grease, and Sno Seal. My sense is that Obenauf's and Sno Seal are essentially the same thing (beeswax plus fillers), while Huberd's is a slightly different product because of its inclusion of pine tar. The internet is full of praise for all three products, but there are also vocal minorities who claim that each has rotted their shoes, dried the leather, dissolved the stitching, etc.

Right now, I'd love to hear from anyone who has personal experience using any of these products. Below, I've described some of the specific characteristics that are most important to me and that I'd love to hear about specifically.

1. Effect on leather color. Some people complain that waterproof treatments changed the color of their shoes, but for me this is a plus. All other things equal, I'd be more interested in a product that darkens the leather more.

2. Effect on stitching color. Despite what I just said above, I'd prefer a product that does not dye lighter stitching. Although it's not an issue for my current shoes, it would prevent me from using it on other shoes with contrast stitching.

3. Durability. How long can I expect the effects to last. If I need to constantly reapply the product to maintain the dark, oiled look of the leather, I'd rather try something else. If the shoe tends to look flaky or waxy after being treated, I'd like to know about that, too.

4. Finish and smell. I've heard that Huberd's has a strong smoky smell. And I've heard some complaints that beeswax can leave shoes sticky. All are negatives if long-lasting or permanent.

5. Waterproofing. This is actually not a major concern for me. I assume that all three products will leave my shoes far more waterproof than they are untreated. And since I'm not wearing my shoes in extreme conditions, I'm not terribly concerned about which product makes the shoes most waterproof. But I suppose it could be a tie breaker.

So that's everything on my mind this morning, and I'd love to hear what you all think. And of course, if there's anything else you think I'm missing, please bring it up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    I have used Obenauf’s LP on my main pair of winter boots, just so they are protected from water/snow.

I would say it darkened my boots slightly, although, my boots were a dark brown to begin with, so I didn’t notice a huge difference. Boots didn’t have contrast stitching, so I can’t comment on that. I have gotten my boots in the snow a few times, and they’ve handled it just fine. Water hasn’t really been an issue. You just need to make sure that the wax gets melted completely, otherwise, it will leave some residue behind, barely noticeable, but it’s there, but it’s fairly easy to rub into the leather. I haven’t really noticed anything bad about the smell.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)
    Thanks, Vanquish. How does the wax do over time? Do your boots stay looking sharp for a long time between applications?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    I'd say yes. I haven't re-waxed them yet and I've been wearing them consistently for the past 6 weeks or so.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Vanquish, which Obernauf product do you use? The "heavy duty" or the regular oil?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Vanquish, which Obernauf product do you use? The "heavy duty" or the regular oil?
    Using the heavy duty.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Thanks. Just got some Red Wing 877s. I don't understand why the sales dude told me to use mink oil. Everything I've heard about mink oil is that it's bad for boot leather.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Thanks. Just got some Red Wing 877s. I don't understand why the sales dude told me to use mink oil. Everything I've heard about mink oil is that it's bad for boot leather.
    RedWing itself recommends mink oil for oiled boots. It is fine for work boots but can have a negative affect on the finish of fine leathers and make them impossible to shine. If you're looking for a product to waterproof and protect, that won't change the color of your shoe, I recommend Nikwax - It is water based but works great. This is what I use on all my expensive boots.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Red Wings that I applied Obenauf's heavy duty to and they darkened the leather a tad and have been that way since (I actually prefer the darker color). I also used them on a pair of boots that had contrast stitching and they didn't discolor the stitching too bad (from white to beige). Both have been used extensively in this year's winter season and show no signs of damage from water, sand and salt so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I got a deal over the holidays on some Chippewa boots with a suede/rough-out surface like the tan Timberlands. I applied Sno Seal and they developed a much darker and deeper color, more like a "tree bark" shade. They have a great patina and shine on them and I'm very happy with the results.

I might have over-applied the Sno Seal at first but I got these boots for tough outdoor winter activity. I applied the coating in early December and they are still waterproof after countless snow shoveling and sledding with the kids.
    ------

- Josh